Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma focusing on quality control

robstein
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Sigma focusing on quality control

David Baldwin wrote:
Bearing in mind the price tag of recent Canon lens releases Sigma's action is timely good news. Personally I have never been more open to considering third party lenses.

Agree.... and I loved my old Tamron 28-75f2.8 until it basically fell apart. It's great news one company is taking it more seriously and can only help all of us as maybe Canon (and Tammy) will hopefully improve as well from the fear of lost sales.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Peacekpr
• •
p.4 #2 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Haven't any of you asked yourselves the question, why did Sigma need to impliment QA in the first place?

Indeed you are in the minority.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Peacekpr wrote:
Haven't any of you asked yourselves the question, why did Sigma need to impliment QA in the first place?

Indeed you are in the minority.

Must be lonely at the top. Seems like your on your own preaching "it's L glass or nothing at all".

Still have not seen those fabulous images that can only be taken with L glass.

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:19 AM
MintMar
• •
p.4 #4 · Sigma focusing on quality control

There's one area where L lenses fail regularly: price/performance ratio.

Nov 14, 2012 at 08:37 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.4 #5 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Peacekpr wrote:
For those of you who still can't face the facts here are some clips from reviews. The optical perfomance charts support these quotes as well. Let's examine the 70-200 f/2.8 lenses to start:

Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di LD-
"Because of the inconsistent AF accuracy, I'm withholding recommendation of this lens for time-critical work. If you can shoot, check the results and reshoot if necessary (as many times as necessary), this lens can deliver very nice results for a relatively small cost. I would be very uncomfortable if I had to use this lens for a wedding - or adding the slow AF
...Show more
Of course the canon lens you quote is better than the others the new 70-200 is one of canons top new lenses
So you are saying nothing else but Canon L is worth using ?
There are lots of excellent lenses made by other makers
I own the tamron 17-50 and the tokina 11-16 both really excellent surely these are not crap too?
You can pick excellent glass from both Canon and third party
most people pick the best from both
PS you mentioned pros before they actually just need image quality that's good enough for the client
What matters to them is reliable kit they can depend on
Amateurs are more likely to be concerned about ultimate IQ
I do see where you are coming from with L lenses I own 3 myself but think you are being blinkered

Edited on Nov 16, 2012 at 03:34 PM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2012 at 08:56 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.4 #6 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Peacekpr wrote:
Snopchenko, I never claimed you couldn't get great shots with other lenses. What I said was that nothing beats L grade glass. If what you're using works for you and you're happy, that's great.

I am using a Sigma lens alongside L and non-L EF lenses, and it's never a question of settling for something. Even if had been building a kit from scratch with unlimited resources, there would've been a few non-OEM lenses in it (like a Sigma 120-300 OS, or the 85/1.4).

As for your Reuters friend, don't forget that they're looking for content not quality for media events.

Nope, not an excuse. Wherever I've been working over the years (paper, agency, website), the workflow went like: "First off, if the picture isn't sharp, it goes to Recycled Bin." I can't imagine Reuters being much different unless working with very extreme events - but in this case even the big agencies settle for TV screen grabs and cellphones (Mavi Marmara or Syrian civil war anyone...), so it's not a good point in itself.

Peacekpr wrote:
How about you guys try to find a comparison for fast primes like the 85L f1.2 v2 or the 50L f1.2... oh that's right... they don't make anything that fast!

They have 1.4s of comparable IQ. 1/2 stop slower at 1/3 the price seems like a deal to me, especially since the Ls have their own known issues. No experience with any of those (L or Sigma), anyways, but I'd love to use the 85/1.4.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Red G8R
• •
p.4 #7 · Sigma focusing on quality control

The new Sigma 35mm f1.4 should available today for Canon mount. Looking forward to samples.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

OntheRez
• • • •
p.4 #8 · Sigma focusing on quality control

First, Sigma announcing that they are pushing QC to the top of their list is a "Very Good Thing." They are acknowledging that copy to copy variation has been one of their biggest problems. ANY competitor that puts pressure on Canon - particularly price/performance - is a "good thing" for all Canon shooters of any kind.

To those who claim "god only shoots with the red stripe," well I haven't talked with her lately, but I'm real skeptical of the claim As for the dim-witted that maintain that "professionals are defined by their gear." Was it the Smothers Brothers? "I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy." Speaking as a professional photographer, defined as "Have camera, will travel" or "people pay me to take pictures", I use the best (which inevitably involves price/performance considerations) tool for the job, and my clients really don't give a d*** what my gear looks like. In fact most times they can't tell the difference between a 350D and a 1Dx except maybe, "Wow, that's a big camera!"

Yes, Canon's L lenses are - as a group - quite good, and yes I have a number of them. But, I have (with 2 exceptions) always bought used because I do believe there is an "L tax" Canon imposes. This certainly seems to be true with their more recent introductions. Amidst my L collection is an 85mm f/1.8 used for indoor low light sports. The 85L would never work in this situation. There is also a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro which - to me - is significantly better than the Canon 180 f/3.5L macro I had previously.

I hope Sigma (and the others) do step up their quality, performance, and price pressure. Something has to check Canon's insistence that it become the "new Leica."

Robert

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:24 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.4 #9 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Peacekpr wrote:

Implement? I think they meant they are improving their QA. You think Sigma never had a QA? Everyone needs to have a continual improvement system, even
Canon.

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Peacekeepr's rants are the gift that keep on giving.

Might as well try and convince a Republican that global warming isn't a left wing conspiracy to send us back to the dark ages and so scientists can snap up waterfront real estate on the cheap.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.4 #11 · Sigma focusing on quality control

LCPete, you need to humor us on the other side of the pond... What does this idiom mean?

"I own 3 myself but think you ate being blinkered"

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:22 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.4 #12 · Sigma focusing on quality control

dwweiche wrote:
LCPete, you need to humor us on the other side of the pond... What does this idiom mean?

"I own 3 myself but think you ate being blinkered"

Sorry a misspelling I posted using my mobile phone
I meant to say ' you are being blinkered', as he can't see that other companies apart from Canon can make great lenses

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:31 PM
Gehjl
• •
p.4 #13 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Peacekpr wrote:
I'm not trolling gents, just stating facts which can be verified. All I've seen from your side of the debate is emotional and insulting.
There is a saying in Law, "if you can't argue the facts, attack the witnesses". This is what you gentlemen have been doing which actually demonstrates how weak your arguments truly are.

Challenge still out there.

Find me a L lens equivalent:

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-200-500mm-Ultra-Telephoto-Canon-Cameras/dp/B0013D8VDQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353104793&sr=1-2&keywords=sigma+200-500mm+f2.8

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password