Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or may...

adimage
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

I have two cameras: 1Ds III and a 5D II, with the following lenses:
- 24 1.4L II
- 50 1.2L
- 100 2.8 macro (non L)
- 135 2.0L

I will sell the 5d2 as it does not bring much over 1ds (shooting from ISO 100-1600). I am not shooting video professionally and for home & family videos, shooting with the 5d2 + prime lenses is really a pain. I will buy a high end consumer camera like the Sony CX-760 for video purposes. and thus, only use the photo camera for stills.

I used to shoot weddings until this year, but starting from 2013 I will stop this an will focus more on other types of photography (portraits, studio, landscapes, commercial, stock). I am a RAW shooter, so I am not really interested on how better the out-of-camera JPG files look among these cameras.

I have basically three options:
- keep the 1ds3
- sell the 1ds3 and buy a 5d3
- sell all my Canon gear and switch to Nikon (D800 + 35 1.4 + 85 1.4 + some other Nikon lens around 1500-2000 USD)

I tested a Nikon D700 + 14-24 2.8 + 50 1.4 + 24-70 2.8. I did not really like the feel of the body and lenses compared to my 1ds mk III, but maybe this was because I got too used to the Canon stuff.

Here is my view:

Reasons to go to the 5dmkIII and sell the 1ds:
- better High ISO (for the occasional time I actually need to go above ISO 1600-3200)
- better screen
- lightweight
- better AF
- 6 fps vs 5 fps
- faster operation

Things that concern me a bit between the 5d3 and 1ds:
- is the 5d3 DR at low ISO equal to the one of the 1Ds?
- is the 5d3 more prone to noise banding in the shadows?
- longer VF blackout time
- build is not as good as on the 1ds. For instance, I hate the squeaky card door on the 5d2. I hope that on 5d3 they got it better.
- is weather sealing good enough?
- the eyepiece cover for 5d3 is the same stupid rubber attached to the neck strap like for the 5d2.
- the 5d3 is already more expensive (by about 1000+ Euro/USD) compared to 1ds3. For this amount of money, I could get another nice lens.

For Nikon...there is that sensor that looks very interesting. 36mp with very good DR at low ISOs. The downside is that the Nikon 50 1.4 lens is not really as good as 50L. Nikon's 135 2.0 is not as good as the Canon counterpart. The Nikon's macro is expensive compared to my 100 2.8 non L and I'm not that sure that it's worth the money as a macro only lens (for portraits I use the 135 and 50).

So, should I sell the 1Ds and get a newer body or should I still keep it for another 1-2 years and wait for some better sensor/body from Canon?

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:00 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

I have been in a very similar situation, I have used a 1Ds3 and 5DII side by side since they came out. I have found the IQ to be essentially the same in RAW and have just used whichever camera best suited the assignment.

I have just bought a 5D3 and think it complements the 1Ds3 very well. I will continue to use the 1Ds3 for harsher environments and when I want to use the camera vertically and will use the 5D3 for higher ISO stuff and as a backup. The 5D3 really is the camera the 5D2 should have been, it's great (so far)

After what it cost me I just can't see me selling the 1Ds3 at what they go for now, it seems criminal and the IQ at anything 800ISO and under is still indistinguishable. Plus it's probably the last 1-series I will buy and I want to have at least one.

IMHO the 1Ds3 is still one of the very best digital cameras ever made, that hasn't changed.

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:12 PM
adimage
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

You are right. I really love the camera, and indeed, selling it for almost pennies compared to the price I paid for it looks like I'm better off keeping it.

I was looking over some comparisons at low ISO between 1Dx and 1Ds III. It looks like they are very similar in DR and detail levels. It's a bit disappointing that Canon after 5 years has a flagship Camera that is equally good to the previous one for low ISO use (I mean this only from the sensor perspective).

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:50 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

adimage wrote:
It's a bit disappointing that Canon after 5 years has a flagship Camera that is equally good to the previous one for low ISO use (I mean this only from the sensor perspective).

I find it rather comforting, there is no reason whatsoever for me to upgrade my 1Ds3 and that makes me smile.

Different story if you shoot sport I expect.

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:28 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

If you require AF linked metering, you should keep your 1ds3.

However there is a reason why the 5d3 decimated the 1ds3's resale. Much like the d800 clobbered the d3x' resale.

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:54 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

We don't know any new 1Ds to be released. 1Ds3 is the latest and best of canon bunch in low iso...i keep it just for that reason.

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:59 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

In evaluating the D800, look closely at skin tones. They may be particularly important if you make portraits in natural light.

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jasonhupe
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

I bought a MK III earlier this year and actually sold it after a few months. Just could not get used to the files. They were great but for some reason did not flow with my workflow for files from 5D, MK II. Bought a 1DS MK III to try out and fell in love. 5D MK III is a better camera in many ways, but for me it was not.

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:07 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

M Lucca wrote:
If you require AF linked metering, you should keep your 1ds3.

However there is a reason why the 5d3 decimated the 1ds3's resale. Much like the d800 clobbered the d3x' resale.

spot on.. objectively the 5D3 is a better camera in most areas (much better screen, operation/card speed/performance, much better after ISO 1600, acquires focus more reliably in diff situations) but the 1Ds3 has a working viewfinder/AF point overlay display & AF-linked spot metering.. the 5D3 not having those two things was more or less of a dealbreaker for me, so after about a month & a half of intensive shooting/testing with the 5D3, i sold that & kept the 1Ds3..

at ISO 100 the level of detail in 1Ds3 files is still king, basically indistinguishable alongside the 1DX.. & there's just something about the skin tones from both the 1Ds2 & 1Ds3 cameras that keeps me going back to it, esp in-studio or outside in natural light.. it's definitely showing its a bit as the newer cameras all have better high ISO performance & better screens, but i'll be holding onto my 1Ds3 for as long as i possibly can, before switching to a 1DX next year

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

asimage -- I agree, you should sell the 5D2, replacing it with the 5D3.

The 5D3 and 1DS3 will be a great pair. You can upgrade the 1Ds3 in a few years when Canon upgrades the 1DX to new Digic and higher MP.

You've got a great foundation right now, but the 5D3 is technologically far above either of the two bodies you have.

Personally, I would always want at least one robust tank of a 1D-series on hand!

Nov 10, 2012 at 02:34 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

I kept both the 1DS3 and the 5D3 after using the side by side for a few jobs.

I mostly use them for professional work since I make a living as a professional photographer. I work as an advertising and as a stills photographer in films but also do some landscape so I have used both cameras in a very wide variety of lighting situations and conditions.

At low iso the 1DS3 might be a touch better its not until iso 3200 and beyond hat the 5D3 has an advantage, that is in regards to sensor / IQ.

AF performance is close but the 5D3 has a slight edge no doubt, specially in low light and with fast lenses. The 35L now focuses dead on even at f1.4 almost every time without any MF adjustment in the 5D3.

The 5D3 also has a slightly faster frame rate and a decent buffer when used with the best cards.

The rear lcd screen is better on the 5D3 but easier to scratch.

The 1DS3 really wins in hand holding comfort during long days on the job. Its a huge difference and even though its heavier the 1 series is a joy to hold.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM
adimage
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

I mostly shoot at ISO between 100 and 800. For weddings my most used ISO was 1600, but since I will not shoot weddings, probably it would be better to keep 1ds 3.

I can see the difference in screen between 1ds3 and 5d2, but for me it is not that critical. The 1ds3 buffer sometimes gets filled-up and I need to wait a bit to get it cleared but this was rarely an issue because I shoot in single-shot more than 95% of the time.

The AF in low light would be a welcome addition, since I have fast lenses. I remember that sometimes my 50L and my former 85 1.2L II struggled with aquiring focus in really low light conditions.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

Wether the 5D mk III is a worthy upgrade depends a lot on the bonuses that camera gives you. If you like the compact size and lower weight, video, the silent mode, or if you NEED (is not the same as want) higher ISO performance, than the 5D mk III is for you. If you are like me, and you are a still photographer who does prefer he 1Ds mk III for the better responsiveness, viewfinder quality and build and ergonomics of the bigger camera, the 5D mk III is no upgrade, and your money for a trade would be a waste. Once you go 1D series, upgraditis may be cured. It's even EOSfun to still shoot a former generation 1D series camera. It's illustrative that the OP considers to keep his 1Ds mk III, but already decided to sell his 5D mk II.

The 5D mk III is without any doubt a great allround hybrid camera, but the 1Ds mk III is hardly less allround when you are a still photographer. The main difference between these camera is the build, size and weight which is mostly a personal preference thing. I see much more value for my photography in a setup around a 1Ds mk III with an additional true compact camera, like OM-D, NEX or Fuji X, rather than a 5D based system. But that is just because it fits my photographic style and needs.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is the 5d3 a worthy "upgrade" from 1ds3? Or maybe Nikon D800?

dhphoto wrote:
I find it rather comforting, there is no reason whatsoever for me to upgrade my 1Ds3 and that makes me smile.

Different story if you shoot sport I expect.

That was my conclusion as well. The technical data for both cameras is virtually the same 800iso and below. I was going to upgrade to1Dx, but didn't see any reason make the jump. So, I will look for the 1Dx replacement in a few years, or buy a used 1Dx down the road. The IQ from the 1DsIII is by far the best of all the cameras I have (1D, 1DII, 7D, 20D, 40D, D3(raw from that camera was great), 5DII.

Nov 10, 2012 at 05:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password