Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 30D vs T2i Servo Performance

ironhide

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 30D vs T2i Servo Performance

Hello folks. I was wondering if you could help me out with this -

I'm planning to take a 30D and/or a T2i to the Austin GP next week along with a 100-400L. I've used the 30D in airshows and have been reasonably successful at tracking fast and slow moving planes. If the T2i is better at AI servo, I might use the 100-400L on it and use my 17-50 on the 30D and use it for wide-angle shots. Given that a lot of car shots will be from the 100-400L, I was thinking it might be better on the T2i to give me more leeway to crop if I am reach-limited at anytime over the race weekend.

Thoughts/suggestions please.
TIA
-Ram

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:17 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 30D vs T2i Servo Performance

The only thing the 30d has over the t2i is ergonomics. Being the larger camera, it might balance well with larger lenses than a rebel.

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 30D vs T2i Servo Performance

They are pretty much the same AF system, but the T2i may seem to have a slight tracking advantage as its a lower FPS so has longer between frames to track the target. Back when I had my 40D (a slight advancement in AF system) I found the only way to get any sort of tracking performance was with the fps turned down to slow (3 fps) . 2 or 3 in focus shots per second is better than 6 OOF ones

As for file size, well I've not seen the circuit layout or where the crowd will be allowed to view from but I bet you won't get that close. Ok this example is not F1 (bikes are smaller) but it gives an example.

And here is the file I cropped it from

That was shot at silverstone last from the front row of a stand . I used the 100-400 on a 7D . I shot a few thousand images from many different vantage points around the circuit and was normally as close as I could get at each (mostly from the seating as I was with my dad , but the seating there nowadays is as close as you get most of the time with that advance of being above the fences) . I would say that in most or all of the places I was reach limited and have had to crop down to about 8mp .
I shot a car event from there a couple of months later (WEC) and I still had to crop a lot of the shots .

Oh one last thing, I found te 100-400 worked best if pre focused on the apex of the corner and shot in small bursts . I did shoot a few head on shots at the car event but found that even a quite slow section the 7D 100-400 combo had quite a few OOF ones in the set (still had some good ones though)

Nov 09, 2012 at 07:36 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 30D vs T2i Servo Performance

ironhide wrote:
Hello folks. I was wondering if you could help me out with this -

I'm planning to take a 30D and/or a T2i to the Austin GP next week along with a 100-400L. I've used the 30D in airshows and have been reasonably successful at tracking fast and slow moving planes. If the T2i is better at AI servo, I might use the 100-400L on it and use my 17-50 on the 30D and use it for wide-angle shots. Given that a lot of car shots will be from the 100-400L, I was thinking it might be better on the
...Show more

I'd take the T2i

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:12 PM
ironhide

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 30D vs T2i Servo Performance

Thanks for the help guys.

Ian,
I heard the commentators say that the stands have been pushed back for safety reasons compared to the years gone by. I have a GA ticket for the race next weekend and some of the grass banks are quite close to the track. But given certain other advantages, I think I'll stick to the T2i for the longer views. Thanks for your help

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:49 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password