New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · "GREAT" feedback

anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "GREAT" feedback

There appears to have been recently some more than inconsequential attempts to scam members. There also are, if back channel communications are any indication, more than a few transactions where members leave GREAT feedback, but where there were sufficient glitches in the transaction to cause either Buyer or Seller more than inconsequential concern, in fact, significant anxiety.

We all here obviously rely heavily upon the Feedback system as one element of gauging a Buyer/Seller's trustworthiness. I'm sure others of you will have better ways of framing the items.

tony

Nov 08, 2012 at 04:29 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "GREAT" feedback

Just for a little context here - my own interpretation at least.

We all know that the eBay feedback system used to be "broken." Even if you had a really bad experience, most people wouldn't leave negative feedback, because they knew that the Seller/Buyer would retaliate and do the same.

Unless they did it at the last minute of the 30 day waiting period, so that it was too late to retaliate. Or it was the only leverage they had with a seller.

But that could also work the other way, allowing a Buyer to "blackmail" a Seller, etc.

The poll is really a question about how well you think the "Great/Neutral/Poor" rating system works here.

Personally, I have only had 100% positive experiences in buying and selling here with all of the people who I have completed a deal with. I consider many to be friends, and we had a lot of great PM chats, good communication, maybe a few odd things that we were able to fix. (I forgot to put a lens hood in one box, etc.)

Others have had bad experiences, with a lot of stress and uncertainty. But they may have still left "Great" as feedback, either with or without more nuance in the comments to explain what "actually" happened.

I know from previous experience running student component centers at a university that evaluations tend to cluster very strongly toward the top of the scale of 3, 5, 7, however many options.

That is also a problem in employee reviews, etc. Everybody gets at least a "B." there are 10% "A's" (if they are strongly limited by management directive), and a handful of "C's", etc.

A secondary question might be: "How well is the Buy & Sell working? Do you feel safe using the feedback system, or do you need more information than that provides, even for buyers/sellers with good feedback?"

Any other suggestions on "best practices?"

Best,
Michael

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:44 PM
cobra0469
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "GREAT" feedback

I've had many "great" transactions here on FM, but have had 2 transactions that encountered problems. Both involved me purchasing a lens, that upon arrival did not either appear or perform as advertised. On both occasions the seller paid for shipping to the manufacturer for repair, which was my choice over a refund. On both occasions I left great feedback, but did leave a detailed explanation of the entire transaction.

More detailed feedback is the thing I would like to see from members. More details relating to communication, payment method used, shipping speed, and quality of packaging. If I make payment using pp gift, money order, check, or any other form with little or no protection I like to let other folks know that I trusted the seller and all went well.

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:15 PM
borderlight
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "GREAT" feedback

A fourth choice between Great/Fair might resolve any issues. Let's be honest, "Fair" is a noncommittal recommendation bordering on the "Poor" side. I think "Good" should be added to separate the exceptional (Great) from the OK (Good). "Good" to me would mean the seller didn't go out of his way to insure it, box the item perfectly, communicate with the buyer throughout the process, or choose a service that would be delivered a day or so faster. Yeah, it got there as expected, but it was missing some of the elements of greatness.

Edited on Nov 09, 2012 at 08:42 AM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2012 at 08:26 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "GREAT" feedback

Yep, +1 to the "Good" category

Nov 09, 2012 at 08:32 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "GREAT" feedback

I think its fine the way it is. No need to nit pick about how well the transaction went. If you got what you paid for with no real problems, its great. If there was some problems, item wasn't as described or something, and I had a small dispute on how to handle it, I'd leave fair. If I had to file a paypal claim I'd say poor.

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:46 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "GREAT" feedback

If there was some problems, item wasn't as described or something, and I had a small dispute on how to handle it, I'd leave fair.

I guess I am somewhat satisfied with your response, probably not neither satisfied nor dissatisfied at this time. There might be an outside chance that I may be somewhat dissatisfied with your feedback tomorrow. At least I'm not very dissatisfied.

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:25 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "GREAT" feedback

BenV wrote:
I think its fine the way it is.

+1

Nov 09, 2012 at 08:33 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "GREAT" feedback

Nate Silver wrote:
The odds on Fred changing the feedback are 0%.

+1

Nov 10, 2012 at 08:35 AM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "GREAT" feedback

DanBrown wrote:
+1

+ 2

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Spydweb
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "GREAT" feedback

Sagar wrote:
+ 2

+3

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.