Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1st Post - VB Hawaii State D1 Championship - C&C Welcomed

DomoFoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1st Post - VB Hawaii State D1 Championship - C&C Welcomed

Hi everyone. I'm a long time lurker and I just thought I'd post a few shots from last weekends Hawaii Division 1 Girls Volleyball Championships between two nationally ranked teams, Punahou and Kamehameha. C&C is appreciated and thanks for looking...

Aloha,
Darryl

Nov 08, 2012 at 05:47 AM
DomoFoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1st Post - VB Hawaii State D1 Championship - C&C Welcomed

4 more....

Nov 08, 2012 at 05:48 AM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1st Post - VB Hawaii State D1 Championship - C&C Welcomed

Let me offer a warm welcome to the Sports Corner. There are a ton of very talented shooters who come here on a daily basis. Hopefully, you will soon become hooked.

I like what you shared -- 3, 4 & 5 are my favorites. From the gear listed in your profile, it is obvious that you are hardly a neophyte when it comes to shooting, but here are a couple things I notice.

1. Color balance seems to be all over the place. Look carefully at the variations in your set. Some of that may be based on incorrect exposure levels, too.

2. Why the difference in shutter speed? Some of the shots are sharp as can be, but in others, the hands and fingers appear fuzzy from motion blur (number 2 & 6.)

One final thought, when you post your next set, number them in the caption to make it easier for others to comment on your work.

Again, welcome to the Sports Corner. Great to have another FM'er in the fold.

Rick

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:50 AM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1st Post - VB Hawaii State D1 Championship - C&C Welcomed

Rick, as always you have offered some excellent C&C. On your second point just out of curiosity I checked the EXIF info and it looks like each shot was taken with the same shutter speed of 1/800.

Darryl, you definitely have some good shots here in terms of your timing! As Rick said I think the WB could use a little tweaking. I've not shot with the 1d Mark IV but is it possible to bump up your ISO from 2500 to increase your shutter speed...or is that getting into unusable territory?

Thank you for taking the time to share!

Nov 08, 2012 at 07:49 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1st Post - VB Hawaii State D1 Championship - C&C Welcomed

Darryl,
Welcome, and thanks for posting your images. Nice work with a very tough sport to shoot. Your 5th and 6th shots are my favorites of the set.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1st Post - VB Hawaii State D1 Championship - C&C Welcomed

Darryl: Nice job. I like 5 the best, I'm a sucker for setters though! 1 & 6 are really nice too! Might want to try and tweak the white balance on a few. Volleyball with a 400 is not an easy task, good job. Thanks for posting.

Ben

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:11 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1st Post - VB Hawaii State D1 Championship - C&C Welcomed

Ben Amato wrote:
Darryl: Nice job. I like 5 the best, I'm a sucker for setters though! 1 & 6 are really nice too! Might want to try and tweak the white balance on a few. Volleyball with a 400 is not an easy task, good job. Thanks for posting.

Ben

Agreed not easy swinging around a 400 on a vb court.

Nice series !

Andy

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:14 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1st Post - VB Hawaii State D1 Championship - C&C Welcomed

Wow, I'd kill to have that sort of light at a VB game! I'd second kwhaley29's suggestion to bump the ISO and your shutter speed. 1/800 works reasonably well for most shots in HS at the Varsity level, but even there, I'm happier shooting at 1/1000 (@ ISO 8000).

#1 and #5 are my favorites.

Jay

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:23 PM
DomoFoto

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1st Post - VB Hawaii State D1 Championship - C&C Welcomed

Thanks for the warm welcome to FM and taking the time to leave feedback. I agree, my white balance is all over the place and this is after a quick tweak before sending off on deadline. I should have cleaned it up more before posting here for c&c. The arena was built in the late 1960's and the lights cycle with the best of them.

Yes, I should have been at 1/1000th/3200iso as it isn't much of a difference over 2500iso and it might have made a difference especially in #2 though the dig was off a wickedly hard hit. I'm not sure but I think the out of focus in #6 was a DOF issue... it's very shallow shooting with the 400.

I'm looking forward be being more active in the forum.

Darryl

Nov 08, 2012 at 04:06 PM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1st Post - VB Hawaii State D1 Championship - C&C Welcomed

Very nice post more often

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:03 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.