Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Quick trip to Gates Pass...

manzico
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Quick trip to Gates Pass...

I just had a little bit of time to take some photos the other day at gates pass.

#1:

#2:

As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:22 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Quick trip to Gates Pass...

Hey Dave,

First off... what or where is Gates Pass. Adding location information is always helpful.

Now, I like your first one, nice work on that more intimate shot. As for #2, not totally sure on that. I really like the tight texture on the closest rock, but the back rock, at the shadow line, it's not quite a sharp, so it almost comes across like it's blurred or out of focus, rather then a DOF issue. So I think I longer DOF would have been better here. But still a very creative shot.

Jim

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:39 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Quick trip to Gates Pass...

#2 is really interesting study in textures. I agree with JimFox about the sharpness of that second layer of rock: sharp focus there too would really help to emphasize the soft edge of the shadow.

I think maybe the light in the first one is just too flat. That brighter area at the bottom doesn't play well with the rest of the image. The center of the 'x' draws the most attention, but then there is that bright patch competing with it for attention.

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:02 AM
manzico
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Quick trip to Gates Pass...

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate all the suggestions. About that back rock. I see what you mean, but I think it may be a factor of the reduction in size for the web. At full size the image is sharp front to back. I actually had to do some focus stacking to get it that way, but because of that I know that the dark area is equally sharp.

On the first one... also good suggestions. I'll try toning down that bright spot and see how it looks.

Thanks again,

Dave

P.S. Gates Pass is a pass to the west of Tucson, AZ. It provides a way through the Tucson mountains.

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:44 PM
manzico
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Quick trip to Gates Pass...

Phrasikleia wrote:
#2 is really interesting study in textures. I agree with JimFox about the sharpness of that second layer of rock: sharp focus there too would really help to emphasize the soft edge of the shadow.

I think maybe the light in the first one is just too flat. That brighter area at the bottom doesn't play well with the rest of the image. The center of the 'x' draws the most attention, but then there is that bright patch competing with it for attention.

I toned down the bright area a bit:

http://www.pbase.com/manzico/image/147239270/original.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dave

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.