New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

ether1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

This might be a bit off topic but was wondering.... (since I have two speedlites and use quite a bit batteries)....
If you're using single use batteries (not rechargeables) do you discard of them once you see that they no longer provide sufficient power to recharge your speedlite at a decent interval?

I am thinking to myself that those are probably still in half good condition and could run in less demanding applications for a while (like remotes etc..).

Anyone ever tested their batteries to see how much juice is still left, even if no longer really good enough for a speedlite?

Thanks!

Nov 07, 2012 at 10:54 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

Rechargeables are the way to go...NiMH batteries will recycle your flash faster and give you more life than non-rechargeable alkalines. Buy a couple of sets and you're good to go.

I think there's still decent life left in used non-rechargeables. My speedlite uses up one battery more than the others - if you have a battery tester you can see if there is 1 dead battery and 3 that are in good shape

Nov 07, 2012 at 11:00 PM
baument
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

They sure don't last as long as new, but I have a whole box full in the studio that I use for pocketwizards. At home they go in a bucket for the grandkids' toys ; )

Nov 08, 2012 at 07:05 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

I can't figure out why anyone would not use rechargeable batteries in speedlights.

Anyway, yes, they still have use after speedlights. Remotes for instants don't need much power at all.

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:39 AM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

Seriously, you need to switch to rechargeables! Best $20 (plus the cost of a good charger) you can spend. The cost savings with rechargeables is pretty large and you help with the environment. A win-win situation.

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:45 AM
photogreen
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

i would strongly recommend Powerex or Eneloops rechargables. you won't regret it

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:18 PM
ether1
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

in my defense - I am able to get AA batteries for super cheap.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:25 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

I use rechargeable. It's a huge cost upfront but in the end it's a lot cheaper. Just like digital vs film.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:48 PM
grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

Don't mean to preach, but there's no defending the environmental damage of landfilled batteries. And you couldn't possibly be getting them cheap enough to beat the long-term cost of rechargeables. Here's +1 for Eneloops, and greenbatteries.com also has good ones. Duracell rechargeables are practically useless in my experience.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:58 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

ether1 wrote:
...If you're using single use batteries (not rechargeables) do you discard of them once you see that they no longer provide sufficient power to recharge your speedlite at a decent interval?

I use Eneloops for the most part, but when I do use alkalines, yes, I repurpose them after they come out of my Speedlites. TV remote first, then on to LED flashlights, which can squeeze even more life out of them.

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:58 PM
blob loblaw
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

rechargables or alkalines everyone should have one of these so they don't end up throwing away good batteries.

http://www.adorama.com/BYMINIMBT.html

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:44 PM
xterra07
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

...great thread with very useful info

do the mAh ratings matter much? 1200, 2000..... do higher power rated ones have a shorter lifespan?
do rechargeables get useless after a year or two, by not taking on enough power?

can the above tested identify an aged rechargeable which doesn't hold charge -- by testing it right after it finished charging to full, and it doesn't show full by the tested?

How do you connect an AA battery to the tester? positive part of battery pushes on the tester, and is there an included cable going to the negative terminal from the tester?

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM
xterra07
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you reuse batteries from Speedlites for other purposes

for those interested here is a picture of the lead negative terminal...... part of the above tester

http://www.rpphoto.com/images/articles/211-11-0006.jpg

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:53 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.