Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Wedding Portfolio Review

sic0048
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Wedding Portfolio Review

I would recommend that you also look into getting some training on post processing (PP). I'm no PP expert, but I've been working at getting better at it. I think 70% or more of an image's final appeal comes from PP. While you have to get good quality images in camera in order to have a prayer in PP, no one creates those incredible images in camera alone (or if they do they were either a) lucky or b) too a lot of time to set up the shot - something a typical wedding photographer does not have).

All of the images could really help from some decent PP work. Fixing the dark eyes, tonal contrast, doing some selective cloning, sharpening, etc, etc, etc will all work in your favor.

However, I would also recommend that you go through another round of selective cuts and get rid of some of the worse images. You definitely need to loose #1 and #2. If those are the first two pictures people see, they may not make it to #3. Blunt, but it's the way I see it. I would also get rid of 12 and 21 as they are not strong images IMHO.

Quality is always better than quantity.

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:27 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Wedding Portfolio Review

Thanks ziffle and chuck. Yeah I got my start shooting for a student newspaper and thats the only reason I am halfway decent. Im going to start shooting as much as I possible for any event I can think of. Hell even a kids bday party would have some good practice opportunity im sure.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:38 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Wedding Portfolio Review

All of the images could really help from some decent PP work. Fixing the dark eyes, tonal contrast, doing some selective cloning, sharpening, etc, etc, etc will all work in your favor. However, I would also recommend that you go through another round of selective cuts and get rid of some of the worse images. You definitely need to loose #1 and #2. If those are the first two pictures people see, they may not make it to #3. Blunt, but it's the way I see it. I would also get rid of 12 and 21 as they are not strong...Show more

Agree On both. I'm def getting better at pp and still learning. ANd yeah I agree that I should tighten it. Nothing wrong with blunt. Just because I havnt had a chance to take enough good photos doesn't mean I have to show people that lol. I think im gonna tighten it down to 10-15

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:41 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Wedding Portfolio Review

sic0048 wrote:
I would recommend that you also look into getting some training on post processing (PP). I'm no PP expert, but I've been working at getting better at it. I think 70% or more of an image's final appeal comes from PP. While you have to get good quality images in camera in order to have a prayer in PP, no one creates those incredible images in camera alone (or if they do they were either a) lucky or b) too a lot of time to set up the shot - something a typical wedding photographer does not have).

All of
...Show more

I disagree with this.... to a point. There are shooters out there that present a very processed look.

There are plenty more that learn the craft, see the 'light' and get 90% of the shot in camera. PP is just a some final tweaks - cropping - evaluating moment captured.
(this does include the use of a gradient tool / contrast / clarity / etc ... )

just my 2 cents....

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:04 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Wedding Portfolio Review

Probably not one of these will be part of your portfolio in the next year or so...and that is totally fine. Like others have said...shoot and shoot often and shoot everything. I had years of shooting experience with film before I ever stumbled into weddings. I still sucked at the beginning, but a lot of your shortcomings here are things that I had moved past because of simply having more experience. You will do fine...just shoot all the time (and don't be afraid to shoot for free as a way to learn)

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:43 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Wedding Portfolio Review

Agreed Thanks for the encouragement Joel. I like your work as well. My friends are getting plenty of free photography over the next few months as I practice as much as possible. I feel close to being decent so Im going to shoot as much as possible.I used to think I needed subjects or events that were interesting to practice with. I just realized Everything I shoot doesnt need to be something someone wants. It's ok to shoot pointless things just to practice and delete the photos later.

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:48 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.