FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Carbon Fiber Caution

Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Carbon Fiber Caution

Glenn NK wrote:
As as structural engineer, I have used carbon fibre tape to reinforce concrete bridges to increase their load-carrying capacity. For a given cross sectional area it's stronger than steel, and has a much high modulus of elasticity. Also have used it to reinforce concrete foundations when the builders didn't use enough steel rebar.

An aluminum tube can be tougher than CF when it is dented - the aluminum won't lose as much strength as CF because is it ductile.

I too carry a heavy lens on the tripod over my shoulder.

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

A little off topic (ok a lot) but now that I have finally bumped in to someone who might know...

They just rebuilt a few of our over passes on the turn pike, like complete remove and reinstall. The bridge ends, usually concrete forms and bank sand fill or similar, was filled with what looked like giant blocks of styro-foam. Do you have any idea what it really is? the whole area under the road that abuts the bridge span is layers of it.

Ok, back to the subject. Sorry.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Carbon Fiber Caution

S Dilworth wrote:
Do they need any more care than the metal planes?

See below

Edited on Nov 13, 2012 at 04:29 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Carbon Fiber Caution

S Dilworth wrote:
Do they need any more care than the metal planes?

You do need to be more situationally aware about its structure and knowledgeable in composite repair. The paint is an integral highly important part of the airframe. protection against UV deterioration. that is a specialized discipline. The systems and avionics componentry are pretty much a whole new way of doing things (my specialty). Lots of networking. What was previously a "black box" may now be a piece of software in a general processing module and may be in more then one for operational redundancy.

in all the CFRP components on the plane can take a pretty good beating. there are even load components on the landing gear that are now composite.

Edited on Nov 13, 2012 at 04:26 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:24 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.