Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

RS Photo

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

I just ordered a Canon 5D3 and now I'm torn between the Canon 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye ($1,319) or the TS-E 17mm f/4L ($2,249). I've never owned a Tilt/Shift lend before and from what I read I can't wait to try one. Maybe I should rent for the weekend first. Thoughts?

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #2 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

It really depends on your application. They are both 'ultra' wide angle but one lens gives you perspective control and almost no distortion and the other gives you fisheye distortion.

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:47 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

What do you want them for? They're completely different lenses with completely different jobs..

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:48 AM
RS Photo

p.1 #4 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

Landscape Photography

Tripod long exposure evening shots...

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:51 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

RS Photo wrote:
I just ordered a Canon 5D3 and now I'm torn between the Canon 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye ($1,319) or the TS-E 17mm f/4L ($2,249). I've never owned a Tilt/Shift lend before and from what I read I can't wait to try one. Maybe I should rent for the weekend first. Thoughts?

Those are really different lenses, and both are relative outliers in terms of what most folks will use. And we don't even know what sort of subjects you intend to shoot!

I'd say you are perhaps getting way ahead of yourself. The primary criteria for lens selection are functional and primarily related to your specific type of shooting and preferences. Without some clear notions of what those might be, making a wild guess at which of these unusual lenses to get based on some forum feedback to an extraordinarily general question is not a promising approach.

If you are new to this stuff, a great place to start - presuming you might be interested in either landscape or architecture or similar - is with the fine EF 17-40mm f/4L. This will give you experience with the focal range you are considering (roughly, though not as wide as the fisheye, but that is a long story) and provide you with an experience basis for making decisions about more expensive lenses. In fact, there is a very good chance that you might just find that the 17-40 is the right lens for you.

The fisheye is a very specialized lens, and for the vast majority of shooters it would not likely be a core lens in their setup. The fisheye effect is striking, but it is also a "style" in and of itself. You can, sort of, use it for regular ultra-wide work, but then you get into "de-fishing" issues in post. Is there a reason you want to go there?

TS lenses are also fine lenses... if they suit your subject and your shooting style. What you gain, primarily, are the ability to tilt the plane of optimal focus and to "correct" perspective distortions. The former can be useful for certain types of landscape photography - when the subject itself is roughly in a tilted plane - and the latter for architecture photography. However, these are rather "fussy" lenses to operate - you are going to have to focus manually, and the process is a bit complex once you add the tilted focus plane to the equation. In addition, you must give up the flexibility and adaptability of zooms. Is there a reason you want/need to do this?

Dan

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:52 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

RS Photo wrote:
Landscape Photography

Rent the 17TSE and the 24TSE. Optically they are both excellent. The 24 is easier to work with filters due to its 82mm thread where the 17 has a dome front element and no thread for filters although some adapters are available to make it work. I have the 24 and its awesome for landscapes. The 17 would be my choice for interior architecture and exterior shots of buildings in tight spaces. The shift capability of these lenses allows you to level the camera to keep all vertical lines vertical and parallel and use the full sensor of your camera while composing the image precisely how you want it. The 24 requires very little optical distortion and vignetting correction in lightroom so you get the most out of the DSLR.

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:14 AM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #7 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

Maybe think about the TSE 24mm instead.

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:23 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

RS Photo wrote:
Landscape Photography

Between these two lens for tripod, long exposure landscape photography, I would choose the ts-17.

Both of them are speciality lens but the Fisheye even more so. Every shot will have fisheye distortion. Which is okay for some shots but will get tiresome, if all your shots are like this.

I have the ts-17 and my observations are:
1) I think you are better to have the 17ts than the 24ts, because with the 1.4x, the 17 becomes the 24 but not the other way around.
2) The Ts takes considerable time to figure out. Expect bad shots for a while. Even renting for the weekend will just get you started at frustration.
3) The shift on TS17 is more valuable than the tilt since the lens is so wide and the dof is correspondingly very long as well.
4) The shift is very useful for not having leaning buildings, trees etc.
5) The shift is very useful for achieving about 11mm with stitching.
6) Its best to used manual exposure
7) It tends to flare in bright light
8) In my view its not a practical lens for anything other than tripod shooting.
9) When its raining or snowing, the lens protrudes and collects water droplets so it is not a great bad weather lens. I then switch to my cheaper 17-40 or 24-105.
10) It does not easily work with a neutral density grad.

The TS17 is my favorite landscape lens. If I was only carrying one lens it would be TS17 with 1.4x.
If 2, then TS17 and 24-105.
If you have lots of carrying capacity, and money, I would get both the TS17 and TS24. The 24 is a better iq lens but just not as versatile.

The two most useful things about ts17 for me is i) not having bowed trees (shift fixes this), and ii) shifting to make a pano at 11mm. I am always doing one or the other. But rarely tilting because it does not work well with trees near by.

Scott

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

The fisheye is more of a specialty lens. I briefly owned it for landscape/cityscape photography, but after it sat in my bag the majority of the time, I decided to cut my losses and sell it (which I took a big hit on what I purchased at and then subsequently sold it for). If you're going to be using this for landscapes, I would consider looking at the TSE 24mm lens instead.

-Nick

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:16 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

Get the tse17 first. You won't use fisheye very often and defishing will take its toll on image quality.

Nov 09, 2012 at 01:54 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

RS Photo -- I agree with John Mills -- for your subjects, the 24 TS-E II is a better fit. I would also advise the 16-35L II to go along with it for when you want to go UWA to more conventional mild wide angle.

But strictly between the two you mention, the 17 TS-E is a better fit and more useful.

Nov 09, 2012 at 03:31 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #12 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

Wish I had this 'dilemma' sheesh. Talk about money before, welll..
Seriously though, what other lenses do you have and why are you considering these 2? Do you already have a 16-35? Cheaper, wider and faster. The 17 is manual only so no af there. Fine for architect and such but not so great for an everyday wide lens

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.1 #13 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

RS Photo wrote:
Maybe I should rent for the weekend first. Thoughts?

I have the EF 14 II, TS-E 17, TS-E 24 II, and EF 16-35 II. I second renting both lenses before you buy, shooting wide has its own set of challenges but the two lenses you listed are very different animals. The TS-Es are manual focus for example.

Nov 11, 2012 at 05:06 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

Adding to the comments above, there might be another lens of interest - the 14/2.8 II rectilinear wide angle lens. It depends what you want to do - I like the 14 mm lens especially for interior shots and low light conditions and other architectural photography. I don't use the 17 mm T/S lens, but instead the 24/3.5 II T/S for landscape work mostly.

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Bacalhau
• •
p.1 #15 · Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM or TS-E 17mm f/4L,

I did try both lens
8-15mm - great lens for creative shots, but not so much traditional landscape views/framing; disapointed with amount of CA, and mostly used the 8mm or 15mm focals.
TS-E17mm - extraordinary lens, and can be used either in a very creative and unique way or just as-is. The ability to shift will expand the framing to almost(omr over) a 14mm view, but with a much better IQ.

Tried also the ef14mmII and ef16-35mmII, but ended with the rokinon 14mm and have no regrets (note that the 16-35 is a great walk-around lens, but the 24-105 has a more usefull range)

So, I have now the Rokinon 14mm and the TSE24mmII, and I am very happy with both. As fas as walk-around lens, I have been debating selling my 17-40 for either the 16-35II or the older 17-35, but really what I want is a 14-24mm

Nov 11, 2012 at 08:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password