Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Image Quality - 7D vs T4i

dazedgonebye
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Image Quality - 7D vs T4i

Setting aside for the moment, all of the differences in build and handling and features...how would you say image quality compares between these 2 cameras?

I'm assuming that the years between them would mean the T4i might be better at high iso at least.

Thanks,

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:52 PM
vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Image Quality - 7D vs T4i

Same sensor though, so I would not count on much IQ difference.

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Image Quality - 7D vs T4i

I currently own both. I think they're pretty similar. I have read that the sensor in the T4i is actually a downgrade from that of T3i. And the results from this site kinda confirm with what I've heard:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-650d-rebel-t4i/17

I think 60D and T3i are pretty similar and so are T4i and 7D. And T3i is a wee bit better than T4i.

Anyhow, most would say that T2i, T3i, T4i, 60D and 7D basically have the same sensor.

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:03 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Image Quality - 7D vs T4i

Wahoowa wrote:
Anyhow, most would say that T2i, T3i, T4i, 60D and 7D basically have the same sensor.

Yes. I think the newer processor in the T4i makes up for the dual processors in the 7D.

The T4i is a great camera all around. I like it as much as I loved my Canon 1DsII in 2004, at $8,000.

The auto focus for stills is a nice upgrade from the T3i. In my mind, that leaves the T3i DOA for stills. The T4i has the 60D auto focus.

The T4i touch screen LCD, and the auto focus during video with STM, are both nice features. The latter has convinced me to sell my camcorders for events - the T4i creates more files, but the quality is worth it.

It also has some nice features like the hand held high ISO noise reduction (with multiple exposures), etc. that make use of the new processor.

Buy it at a good price, like $600+ for the body, or with the 18-135 is you need that and it won't cost you much to own. T3i's were selling for $550 to $610+ when the T4i came out in June, so the net cost of ownership is like $100 for a year.

I decided to use only the T4i for my work, until I needed high ISO for events and bought a 5DIII for 6400 ISO. But the depreciation on a 5D3 (purchased now in the $2,800 range) is probably about $500 per year, so the incremental cost is pretty big (although well worth it if you need it, and so cheap compared to film.)

Good luck!
Michael

Nov 07, 2012 at 07:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password