Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2012 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

abqnmusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Edited on Nov 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2012 at 07:33 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

There are so many Internet photo forum myths.

Nov 09, 2012 at 08:20 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

15Bit wrote:
Is that really too much to ask for when you spend several thousand dollars on a camera and lens? You don't, for example, buy a new car and have to tune the engine yourself to get correct power and fuel efficiency. We have just been conditioned to put up with less when we buy electronics - 25 years ago if you bought a TV or VCR that didn't work you took it back to the shop. Now you download a driver or some form of software fudge that "fixes" the problem. In reality its just the manufacturer sending out an
...Show more

If you're spending that kind of money (several thousand on one body and one lens as you say), yes, you should be getting accurate focus, but even with Canon body with Canon lenses, there is sometimes a need for MA or recalibration of body and lens by the manufacturer.

Do you get the stated MPG on the sticker? Probably not. Have dynoed your car? You're probably not actually getting the exact stated HP/torque at the exact stated RPM. You're just happy with the the performance and fuel efficiency so long as it's not grossly off. Of course, there have been instances where things got so bad that the EPA had to step in and this applied to many car manufacturers, most recently Hyundai and Kia.

Granted this Sigma/Stigma issue was very legitimate, I personally feel in the last couple years (new finish), they've done pretty good as far as AF accuracy and speed go. I was really reluctant at first to buy the 30mm 1.4 for APS-C, but that turned out to be great. To be honest, even Canon's own lenses sometimes need to be calibrated, I've had misfocusing Canon lenses only.

I really hope the personal micro adjust turns out as well as everyone is expecting right now. I personally don't own a body with MA, and so when I have a lens that doesn't accurately AF, I have to send it into the manufacturer (2 Canons, 0 Sigmas). Being able to take care of this on my own (saving time and money), I would gladly do. I love the fact that my AF confirm chips on my manual focus lenses can be MA'd on the chip. BTW, the Samyang 35mm 1.4 is wonderful, I love it on my 5Dc.

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:18 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

I suspect if you checked the car forum there would be forum members bashing the car companies.
guess that is human nature

I am thankful we have Sigma. The competition is good and the more affordable lenses are welcome.

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:38 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Jeff_Stapleton wrote:
Who puts out these MTF charts? Sorry for my ignorance. I'd love to see the original EF 35/2 MTF against the new Canon and Sigma offerings

Here you go Jeff

Old 35 f/2
http://usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/images/lens/ef_35_2mtf.gif
New 35 f/2 IS
http://usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/images/cameras/lenses/EF-35mm-f2-IS-USM/ef35_2isu_mtf.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 05:29 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Sigma Global Vision posted more pictures and information on the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM A1
http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/a_35_14/

18 pictures OF the lens, but no samples WITH it?

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Canon put the MA feature into their bodies, they did not do this for the sake of third party lens manufacturers..

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Fred Miranda wrote:
That was Canon's plan all along. They will now be forced to introduce a diamond sharp 35mm f/1.4L II for a bargain price of $2,999!

I am sooo glad that I can keep and will continue to use my 35/1.4 and 24-70/2.8 (both version I)!

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

timbop wrote:
18 pictures OF the lens, but no samples WITH it?

Here are some Sigma 34mm f/1.4 samples images. (From Sigma Japan)
http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/lens/wide/35_14/#gallery

Nov 10, 2012 at 01:40 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Fred Miranda wrote:

Thank you, Fred. One is broken. The others convince me. The bridge , babyear and "glas in glas" look amazing, the others show a superb bokeh!!!

Nov 10, 2012 at 02:54 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Fred Miranda wrote:

Thanks for these early samples. I can't wait to see samples on FF.

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:14 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Ralph Conway wrote:
Thank you, Fred. One is broken. The others convince me. The bridge , babyear and "glas in glas" look amazing, the others show a superb bokeh!!!

Sigma can really do nice bokeh - I have the 50 and 8 f/14 and love them. The glass in glass shot is just superb. Lens appears sharp wide open.

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:22 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

If 3rd party lens manufacturers can sort out their AF and QC, there really isn't any valid reason to stick with OEM lenses with this level of image quality. That would be great for us too, as Canon/Nikon would then have to lower the price of their lenses.

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:37 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Here are some full frame (5D and 1Dx) examples from the new sigma 35mm:

http://photo.yodobashi.com/gear/sigma/lens/3514dgeos/index.html

Can't read the text, but the photo's speak for themselves. I think they look great.
Sigma seems to been moving up and up.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:37 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Yes, they look great.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:50 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

What I want is a lens that's as sharp, if not sharper than my 35 f2, only at f/1.4 with fast, reliable auto focus, and build to stand up to occassional bumps.

Nov 12, 2012 at 08:00 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I agree that they are too expensive. But remember that all those lenses are 20+ years old. Then you will not see a 10-20-30% increasy in the price if a new and much improved version is made. It will be a lot more

If the engineering and production process didn't actually improve over those 20 years, then I definitely agree. But somehow I can't believe that it stayed the same since 1990s... I think the "wishful milking" is a considerable part of the price for the the latest Canon ring-USM lens offerings.

Nov 12, 2012 at 08:14 AM
woos
• •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Sigma can really do nice bokeh - I have the 50 and 8 f/14 and love them. The glass in glass shot is just superb. Lens appears sharp wide open.

Yeah they do. They seem to focus on different things than Canon and Nikon. For example on the 35, long. CA. Some of their other lenses are like this as well. The 105 OS and 150 OS macro are the same way (compare to the 100L which is amazing but focuses on different things so it has some long. CA.) The 120-300 OS is the same way, almost perfectly corrected in that regard leading to amazing rendering.

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.