Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

davesfolly

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

I have the 60 mm macro and the 70-200 Tamrons and I have been very happy with both.

Nov 07, 2012 at 04:53 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Jeff_Stapleton wrote:
I can't believe this Sigma 35 is priced so close to the new Canon 35/2.0. I'm currently rocking the Sigma 50/1.4 as my main lens. Being redesigned, I expect it to be superior to that by far...

I'll be really REALLY interested in a comparison of the 35s (obviously the Canon won't be available for a while), but one of these just might be my next purchase.

1 stop faster but no OS.

Unless the canon is a dog (I doubt) then I think I'd choose the canon
But the sigma does look nice.
Also canon ring USM is in general faster than the sigma HSM (and yes I do own and have owned a couple of sigma HSM )
But I will say the new programable lens mount thing may give other advantages.

Also it's been mentioned in another thread , but the 2 Tamron lenses are a tad close to the canon versions also

The macro is only 200 bucks under the 100L and the zoom is about 600 less than the king of 70-200's .
I bet the gap gets much wider than that after a year or 2 ownership as 3rd party lenses in general loose much more

Lets hope street prices are a fair bit less

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:19 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.2 #3 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Yeah I was taken a bit when I saw the price for the Tamron. Did the Sigma 70-200mm OS start off at that price?

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:26 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

I think the sig OS pitched in just where the old mk1 IS was selling .
Remember how much everybody was shocked at the cost canon put on the mk2 IS .
Now everyone has seen the quality it's not such a shock .

If Tamrons lens is great optically and has good AF performance I don't doubt it will sell if its priced sensibly in the shops .

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:33 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.2 #5 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Damn - like that Sigma. A couple hundred less than Canon's 35L. Should be interesting.

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:34 PM
MetalRain

p.2 #6 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Are there any hands on tests/reviews of the Sigma 35? Considering purchasing one to compare next to the 35L I just picked up.

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:36 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

I will say good on sigma for including the dock and software with the lens rather than making it a seperate purchase

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:37 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #8 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

I bet the Sigma paired with the Sigma SD1 would produce amazing files.

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:45 PM
benee
• • •
p.2 #9 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

goosemang wrote:
serious business on that 35mm

if sigma is stepping up their game as they claim to be, this'll be more appealing to me than the canon f2 w/ IS

expected availability on the sigma listed as November 15th on b&h...

+1 - the 1.4 is MUCH MUCH more appealing to me than an F2 IS. I might wait a few months to see how QC is and then snag one of these new Siggy 35s.

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:46 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #10 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I think the sig OS pitched in just where the old mk1 IS was selling .
Remember how much everybody was shocked at the cost canon put on the mk2 IS .
Now everyone has seen the quality it's not such a shock .

If Tamrons lens is great optically and has good AF performance I don't doubt it will sell if its priced sensibly in the shops .

I agree. With Canon setting a new standard with the mk2, third party manufacturers know they can charge this much and people will pay due to being so much cheaper than the Canon. At the same time though, with this price point being used mk1 IS territory, the question becomes how well will these lenses sell? Especially when educated people know there can be focusing issues with third party lenses. Curious how it will stack up against the mk1 in optical performance.

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

vsg28
• • •
p.2 #11 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I will say good on sigma for including the dock and software with the lens rather than making it a seperate purchase

Where did you read that? I just now the software is free for download and the USB dock will cost around what a decent UV filter costs (as per a Sigma sales rep) but both are separate and not available till early 2013.

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.2 #12 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

MetalRain wrote:
Are there any hands on tests/reviews of the Sigma 35? Considering purchasing one to compare next to the 35L I just picked up.

I wondered that too... the 35L on the used market seems to be only $2-300 more.

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:39 PM
gregoryallen
• •
p.2 #13 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Edward Castro wrote:
Yeah I was taken a bit when I saw the price for the Tamron. Did the Sigma 70-200mm OS start off at that price?

Sigma 70-200mm OS started off at $1,699

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:55 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.2 #14 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Ok, glad to know the price came down to a more reasonable level for the Sigma. I'm sure Tamron will do the same.

Nov 07, 2012 at 07:16 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #15 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

benee wrote:
+1 - the 1.4 is MUCH MUCH more appealing to me than an F2 IS. I might wait a few months to see how QC is and then snag one of these new Siggy 35s.

yeah i agree. i'm not ready to go all in $900 on sigma without some feedback from users first.

Nov 07, 2012 at 07:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

vsg28 wrote:
Where did you read that? I just now the software is free for download and the USB dock will cost around what a decent UV filter costs (as per a Sigma sales rep) but both are separate and not available till early 2013.

OK I may be wrong on that then. I cant find the listing now (not the BH one) that said it was included . maybe it was wrong.
I notice in the BH listing the dock is mentioned in the product high lights . but I guess its an extra.

Not so bad if you have more than 1 or 2 sigma lenses if its the "price of a decent filter" as that implies around $100

Nov 07, 2012 at 07:33 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Interesting lenses but personally, I'm waiting for the Tamron 60mm f/2 SP Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nov 07, 2012 at 08:15 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #18 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Edward Castro wrote:
Ok, glad to know the price came down to a more reasonable level for the Sigma. I'm sure Tamron will do the same.

I guess the Market will do.

Tamrons MSPR here in germany:
70-300 VC: 599 => average streetprice is 320 (-46% actuell after 2 years)
24-70 VC: 1.349 => streetprice around 970 (-29% after 6 month)

Nov 07, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

3catsinky wrote:
will the new Tammy 90 work on full frame?

Yes it's a FF lens.

The Sigma will most likely be finding a home in my bag. I already have the 50 and 85 and they are just superb lenses so I have high hopes for this too. Just depends on how it compares to the 35L and 35 f/2 IS before I decide.

Nov 07, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and two Tamron lenses!

Yakim Peled wrote:
Interesting lenses but personally, I'm waiting for the Tamron 60mm f/2 SP Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

That's a Di II lens so only for crop even though it can be mounted on FF and APS-H cameras.

More interesting would be it's big brother: 180 f/2.8(3.5) Sp Di 1:1 macro VC USD. Sigma dropped the ball with theirs weighing in at a far too heavy 1.6kg. Tamron lenses are usually lighter. So I hope they are working on one of these.

Nov 07, 2012 at 09:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password