New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Street Photos

jtchuk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Street Photos

Some recent photos. All taken with a D700 and Nikon 50mm 1.8g. Thanks for the comments in advance!

Sink

Old Door

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:47 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Street Photos

Welcome Josh.
Do you have some specific questions?
In the meantime I will share some reactions.
1. I find this amusing. I like the disjointed presence of the sink on the grass. The echo of the shape of the manhole cover makes this a well-composed image and adds to balance and nice play on shape.
2. Wouldnt be for everyone. Works for me. I like texture shots, "extraneous" finds along the street. Angle, placement of the handle in the frame is perfect, creating nice tension.
3. Doesnt do anything for me. I dont feel I understand the subject and as a straight documentary shot it just doesnt tell me anything. Maybe meaning for you?
4. Again, works for me with the brighter shapes well-positioned in the frame and "framed" nicely by the black graffiti.
Overall, I'd say good eye for finding interest along the street, good compositional skills, placement of key subject elements.

Scott

Nov 07, 2012 at 08:38 PM
jtchuk

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Street Photos

Thanks Scott. I was beginning to worried there: 50 views and no replies! My main questions had to do with compositional strength and anything that could be changed with processing. This is simply a collection of photos that I've been unsure about for a while.

If anyone else has any comments, chime in!

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:13 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Street Photos

I feel your pain on looks but no replies. I suppose we need a way to look and say something as in my case. I don't have a clue about this type of image so I don't reply good or bad.

I even tried some a couple weeks back and still don't have a clue:-)

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:42 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Street Photos

jtchuk wrote:
My main questions had to do with compositional strength and anything that could be changed with processing.

The thing that comes to mind for me when trying to yield compositional strength is ... "What's the point?" "What is the message that you are trying to convey to your viewer?" When you know the answer to that question, then you can use your compositional elements (i.e. framing, focus, negative space, leading lines, tonal values, etc.) to draw your viewer toward your point / message.

Looking at these, I'm having a bit of difficulty recognizing what your point / message is that you are trying to present / convey to your viewer. As a collection, they strike me a bit as "Hey, here's some things in my neighborhood, so I took a picture of it ... no real reason, just 'cause."

I get that we are drawn to different things, no worries there ... but when the viewer has trouble seeing what it is that you were drawn to (i.e. symmetry, color, texture, subject matter, interplay of light, etc.), it just makes it kinda tough for the viewer to connect to the image.

That being said, the image of the door reveals some texture and symmetry. We can see those things fairly readily and go "Yeah, I get that." The others don't yield much in that regard, and leave the viewer with a bit more of an "Huh, I don't get it ... did I miss something?" kinda thing.

This is simply a collection of photos that I've been unsure about for a while.

Generally speaking ... when you're unsure about them, there's usually a reason why and/or it is usually even more unsure for the viewer. Consider that you already know the connection and are still unsure about it ... how much more unsure those who don't know the connection. ALTHOUGH, it is possible for a viewer to see something you have missed or see it differently ... but the masses largely need a bit more help in seeing things than one might otherwise think.

HTH ... look forward to seeing more.

BTW ... I got 140 views and no comments / no votes for my WA entry this week. Just goes that way sometimes.

Nov 08, 2012 at 03:15 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.