Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

RMstudios wrote:
Cheapest I've found this lens is $2099. Canon doesn't even have any listed currently in their refurb department. You'd have to take your chances buying from private party if you want cheaper than that.

Say I sold the lens for $1000, then it gets repaired by canon for $800. The buyer would be saving $299 with warranty to back. How many private sellers selling this lens for 2k offer warranty?

*EDIT: My mistake, Canon does have a refurb in stock for $1999.20* plus tax/shipping

You have to be crazy to gamble like that $ 1800 !!! If you are unlucky the repair cost more. Or the lens will never be like a new lens. Or something else inside brake a year later beacuse of this.

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:10 PM
RMstudios

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Anything could happen. Nothing in life is certain. Just trying to figure out immediate options so I can get back to work.

Nov 08, 2012 at 07:37 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Just curious, why didn't you send it in yourself and save the mark-up? Not to mention, you say you're located in Burbank, Irvine is not THAT far off. I would seriously get a quote straight from Canon instead.

Nov 08, 2012 at 07:56 PM
RMstudios

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Dudewithoutape wrote:
Just curious, why didn't you send it in yourself and save the mark-up? Not to mention, you say you're located in Burbank, Irvine is not THAT far off. I would seriously get a quote straight from Canon instead.

I didn't realize they marked up the repair initially. Wasn't till I asked for a contact at Canon so I could hear it from them that they told me (Samy's Camera) I wouldn't be able to get that information since they sent it in and also mark up the price. Next step is declining the repair through Samy's, getting the lens back and sending it in myself.

Burbank is far enough from Irvine that it's out of my way to drive.

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:11 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

I would decline and be out shipping only, but who knows, Samy's may have shipped it next day, insurance, blah blah, and next thing you know, they want $40 for the shipping.

I personally always look towards the manufacturer (be it Sigma, Tamron, Canon, etc) first for a repair unless its an independent repair shop that I trust (of which I have yet to find, other than those recommended across the country).

What I meant to say was, even if you can't take time off to drive there physically, it'd only take a day to ship there. Very convenient for us SoCal Canon shooters

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:46 PM
RMstudios

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

True... I'm only out $17.50 for shipping which I already paid.

I was being lazy... lol Samy's is close to my work and since they're an authorized Canon dealer I thought I'd have them handle it.

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

RMstudios wrote:
Don't see why I couldn't sell it as is for $1200 now. These go for $2000+ used... Once repaired for $800 it's practically a brand new lens with a 6 month warranty.

Does Canon offer a six month warranty on lens repairs? If not, there is no warranty on a lens that has been dropped and broken, even after the repair has been paid, as far as I know.

I could be wrong, but if I was the manufacturer, user damage would void any warranty, period.

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Where I live they give you a warranty. But Canon don't give the lens a 6 months warranty like he write. They give the repair work a 6 month warranty. If you repair the IS, then the IS will have a 6 months warranty. But if the aperture break after two weeks you still have to pay when they fix that.

Nov 09, 2012 at 07:34 AM
RMstudios

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Does Canon offer a six month warranty on lens repairs? If not, there is no warranty on a lens that has been dropped and broken, even after the repair has been paid, as far as I know.

I could be wrong, but if I was the manufacturer, user damage would void any warranty, period.

Yes they absolutely warranty it for 6 months after its repaired/rebuilt. I'm sure in some extreme circumstances they won't touch it, but if they can repair it, they offer the warranty. As long as you go through Canon

Nov 09, 2012 at 01:20 PM
RMstudios

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Finally got the lens fixed! I signed up for CPS gold. That repair shop was marking up the cost over 200%. For a cool $408 I have basically a brand new lens again! I'm soooooooooo glad I didn't sell it for pennies!! Ha!

Oct 25, 2013 at 07:53 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

RMstudios wrote:
Cheapest I've found this lens is $2099. Canon doesn't even have any listed currently in their refurb department. You'd have to take your chances buying from private party if you want cheaper than that.

Say I sold the lens for $1000, then it gets repaired by canon for $800. The buyer would be saving $299 with warranty to back. How many private sellers selling this lens for 2k offer warranty?

*EDIT: My mistake, Canon does have a refurb in stock for $1999.20* plus tax/shipping

I bought mine for $1699 as a refurb during a canon sale. I'd want it for $1000 less than that because of the hassle and the risks.

I'd sell it as-is on ebay ,and rent or borrow until the next sale came up. The OP might be able to get 20% off using the CLP.

Oct 25, 2013 at 08:15 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

If you're CPS and you're in Burbank, why in the world would you bother with Samy's when there's CPS repair facility so close to you right there on Sunset and Gower. Make and appointment and bring it in and skip the unneeded middleman.

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:18 PM
RMstudios

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Peter Figen wrote:
If you're CPS and you're in Burbank, why in the world would you bother with Samy's when there's CPS repair facility so close to you right there on Sunset and Gower. Make and appointment and bring it in and skip the unneeded middleman.

When I made this post a year ago I didn't have CPS, also the Hollywood facility wasn't open. But yes, I'm happy I waited and held on to the lens and got it fixed instead of selling it for the crazy low ball offers I got.

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

These things happen - you either have to suck it up and hand over the cash, or liquidate it.

It's your call.

But I would get it fixed and never sell it - make it work its ass off in getting you stunning images.

And be more careful. Also, check your bag for gimpiness.

Take care.

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:35 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

RMstudios wrote:
Finally got the lens fixed! I signed up for CPS gold. That repair shop was marking up the cost over 200%. For a cool $408 I have basically a brand new lens again! I'm soooooooooo glad I didn't sell it for pennies!! Ha!

Don't ever deal with a middle man when you don't have to

Oct 26, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

What was the real repair costs?

You need to insure your equipment.

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:41 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Wait, it took you a year to get it repaired?

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:55 PM
RMstudios

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

$500 +/- before CPS gold discount. With the 20% off it came to $408. Yeah I was very resistant to letting it go, and since I do mostly architectural work I didn't have an immediate need to get it fixed. I just rented portrait lenses as needed.

Oct 28, 2013 at 01:13 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.