FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

This thread is entertaining as AlexHibbert clearly wanted to pay someone $700 to do a wedding shoot, then somehow has been acting like it was going to be $1500 all along. "Not crazily over" doesn't jump to $1500 where I come from. You wrote it, own it.

But then things took another turn when people criticize others for taking the higher amount, $1500, and act like they're ruining the wedding photography biz. Like jcolman, I couldn't find anyone to let me 2nd shoot this year when I got started. So like him, I took to Craigslist and did a free wedding, a $500 wedding and a couple $950 weddings. I'm pretty sure the Chicago wedding photography biz collapsed immediately upon this happening.

Not a single FMer ever took me on as a 2nd. I did get a few gigs from DigitalWeddingForum, so I 2nd shot in Mississippi for $300, then in Detroit for $350, and someone local got me for $280. I didn't care. I needed to shoot and build a portfolio. Most local photogs weren't interested in me because I didn't have the experience of 2nd shooting 25 or more weddings. So they took a CL shooter with a kit camera or whatever over me, who was committed enough to invest in a D4, all the necessary lenses, four speed lights, and all the backup equipment one would need. I especially remember one girl who saw my website and was going to hire me, then realized I had only 2nd shot a couple weddings. She took a CL photog instead, and six months later, I'm pretty sure my prices are now at least as high as hers.

It just strikes my nerve when FMers are so adamant about newbies doing their thing as a 2nd before they accept low-paying primary gigs. If you won't hire a newbie as a 2nd, don't demand it. I don't even know why I'm bothering responding as it never changes. That's why I don't usually venture onto this part of the FM forum, even though I consider myself a full-time wedding photographer.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

alexhibbert wrote:
Many self-respecting professionals in any industry would consider themselves lucky to earn $1500 for a couple of days work. Perhaps some perspective is in order.....

- $15,000+ worth of gear
- $5,000+ worth of peripherals
- thousands of hours spent honing my craft
- "a couple of days" worth of work that doesn't include all the hours in front of the computer, making the per hour net revenue far less than it looks like at first glance.

Silly me thinking that $1500 isn't enough to charge!

Perhaps some perspective is in order. Maybe think before you type next time?

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:36 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

friscoron wrote:
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think you have to worry about getting a torrent of PMs and emails from FMers offering their services for a $700 wedding in which there isn't even a specific date for.

You might be able to get someone if it's a lot closer to the actual date and we're still not booked on that date. If you want someone to commit now, then -- like Rich said -- you may want to hit up Craigslist and hope for the best.

You know back in 2008 there were a lot of photographers here arguing the case for sooting $500 weddings.

It's nice to see the general attitude to pricing has matured within a few short years.

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:00 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.