Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · for videographers ...

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · for videographers ...

during the ceremony a couple of guests when reading got too close to the micro so their speech wasnt recorded properly thou the ambient sound was (music,crowd ...) acording to the guy recording, is this true does this happend when someone gets too close when speaking a third guest wasnt so close to the micro so her voice is clear and very understable which suggests me it is true.

The sound come into the video camera through the micro in it.

Thanks

Jaime

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:18 PM
r-m-g

p.1 #2 · for videographers ...

Sure this can happen - a mic can only accurately capture sounds that are within a certain range of one another at one time and so if you have two sounds which are very different volumes you need to choose which one you want to accurately capture. That being said, if there was a time where the sounds were quite and then a time when they were loud as you're describing then the videographer who is tasked with capturing sound should usually be aware enough of his levels to adjust them when someone starts speaking through a PA or should be using two sets of mics.

Please take this with a grain of salt - i've only observed videographers who almost always use separate mics but I've never done the capturing myself although I have run sound boards before so I'm not speaking from total ignorance...

Nov 06, 2012 at 03:48 PM
vtec44
• •
p.1 #3 · for videographers ...

It also depends on the mic that was used. Some mics have a very narrow direction that it can record, others have a wider recording area. I work with several videographers and they use each type differently.

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:16 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · for videographers ...

likely it was too loud and clipped. That was his mistake setting levels.

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:55 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · for videographers ...

Not sure how you get too close to a build in mic on the camera. You would also be so close the video would not be good. A directional mic pointed behind the speaker would only get the background sound and very little of the speakers voice. Don't know if any built in mic have that option.

This is why you need a second recording system for video. Sure use the camera ( + external mic plugged in is best) and back-up out of camera recorder.

Nov 06, 2012 at 06:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lauren Carson
• •
p.1 #6 · for videographers ...

External mics are the only ones you should be using if you're recording audio of ceremony/reception stuff. Even the best shotgun mic is going to give you a lot of ambient noise and can't be pointed (very effectively) at the x number of people speaking during a ceremony or reception. wireless transmitting lav mics going into a mixer is the only way to go, only better way would be to have someone standing behind them with a directional boom mic and pole, and just wait until THAT hits the internet if someone ever tries it.

Nov 06, 2012 at 06:47 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #7 · for videographers ...

Thanks for the answers guys,

Could this issue have been avoided with an external micro to the camera even when the guests spoke so close to the micro of the church creating the apparent voice distorsion

Thanks again

Jaime

Nov 06, 2012 at 06:49 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · for videographers ...

jmraso wrote:
Thanks for the answers guys,

Could this issue have been avoided with an external micro to the camera even when the guests spoke so close to the micro of the church creating the apparent voice distorsion

Thanks again

Jaime

Misuse of the tools, not a limitation of the tools used.

An external mic would improve the quality, but if the same mistakes were made, the same audio would be lost.

Nov 06, 2012 at 07:29 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · for videographers ...

Ok, I forgot to mention that the micro (and the speakers) the guests used wasnt of the property and responsability of my video man, all was setup up by the church by whoever.

Jaime

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:46 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password