Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

ZachOly wrote:
He's going over his pricing now, soooo confusing with different packages, prints, fb postings, web sized, "digital negatives", books, DVD burning, charging for post-processing, etc.

I wonder if the TheGE hit it that he could be doing some important things very right while still doing a lot wrong.

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:14 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

joelconner wrote:
He did admit a little bit ago that he misleads his clients that the reason they must buy the products right then is because of vendor price sales (which don't really exist).

Well that's shady.

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:16 PM
ZachOly
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

D. Diggler wrote:
I wonder if the TheGE hit it that he could be doing some important things very right while still doing a lot wrong.

Well he only processes the big prints the client buys. If you get the disc of images, they're just 1800x1200 jpgs with no PP.

If I was the client and got that after spending a ton of money, I'd be pretty ticked off.

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:28 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

D. Diggler wrote:
I was wondering if someone was going to say what I was thinking.

Yep.
We say what we think- and that's the way polish jokes are made

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:39 PM
StephanieTo

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

They announced before lunch that it was the second most sold course on CreativeLive during the live portion of the event. He's making good money here

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:47 PM
Littleguy
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

ZachOly wrote:
Well he only processes the big prints the client buys. If you get the disc of images, they're just 1800x1200 jpgs with no PP.

If I was the client and got that after spending a ton of money, I'd be pretty ticked off.

If I recall, that is the game he plays to get clients to upgrade to his highest paid package. Only the top package gets the fully processed digital images. That's how he sells his top package.

What I haven't figured out is how does he compete with other photographers who are giving out fully processed digital images on a disc on their lowest package which is most likely cheaper than his....is it really his canvas art, fancy albums, fast talk and hot wife?

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Curtiss Bryant
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

D. Diggler wrote:
What I haven't figured out is how does he compete with other photographers who are giving out fully processed digital images on a disc on their lowest package which is most likely cheaper than his....is it really his canvas art, fancy albums, fast talk and hot wife?

Its the brand. He said a lot of his clients know of him through other avenues, whether its other brides, magazines, etc. I imagine that most of the people he meets with want him as their photographer going in. I imagine that most are ready to book on the spot at the initial meeting. He says hes not worried about the other photographers and his target isnt the bride that wants images. He targets those that want albums and prints.

The guy is pretty good at the business stuff. However, the thing that gets me is that he wants everyone to be successful and raise prices right? He said during the senior workshop that if you had a ton of sessions, you werent priced high enough. Yet, he shoots 400+ sessions a year.. Maybe he should take his own advice

Seriously though, I only watch these workshops to tips on the marketing and business aspects. I have my own style of shooting so I really dont pay attention to those parts (although Sue was amazing). I will pick up something here and there that will help, but the business stuff is where I pay the most attention. And you have to admit, the guy knows how to do it. I dont think too many here gross $1.5 million in sales, granted most here dont own the companies that streamline the entire process either.

Nov 10, 2012 at 01:32 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

Littleguy wrote:
and hot wife?

How'd a guy like him get a hot wife like that. Must have a lot of money, or something.

Nov 10, 2012 at 03:11 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

D. Diggler wrote:
How'd a guy like him get a hot wife like that. Must have a lot of money, or something.

I thought she was his daughter!

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:33 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

BTW........dude shoots between 3500 to 4500 shots per wedding!!!

Nov 10, 2012 at 06:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ChadAndreo
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

Nathan Padgett wrote:
BTW........dude shoots between 3500 to 4500 shots per wedding!!!

....then outsource the editing to the Evolve Edits in which he also owns. From a business point of view, he's a genius.
Shoot and then use all of the free time he saves from outsourcing to network and grow the business.
IMHO

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:13 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

Nathan Padgett wrote:
dude shoots between 3500 to 4500 shots per wedding!!!

Oh, geeezz! They call that "spray and pray", don't they.

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:14 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

I didn't see this creative live but just checked the web site.

The work is ok but nothing took my breath away. The site itself looks sloppy. Just wondering where the high end vibe some have suggested he has comes from if not those things.

Would be interested in some of his business advice.

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:57 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

I don't view this type of post work as "high end" as a few have suggested. I view it as "over editing to compensate for a lack of patience and technical ability." The workshop pretty much proved that was a very valid view.

Sure, he may like it. Sure, the client may like it... today; but that look is going to be extremely dated in no time. There are already blogs out there ripping on how people are going to regret all the Instagram processing years down the road. I agree 100%, and this is right in line with that thinking.

The sad part is that many of the good photos (how can you not get a few good ones when you shoot nearly 5,000 images?!?) get destroyed in post with the "art" editing. Sorry, but the editing is very 2008 and amateurish. I believe most of the industry has moved past that type of editing. I don't mind that type of editing for a *few* creative shots; but geez, not every image of the story. That's just ridiculous.

I missed the first day's business talk, but it's apparent he has that part down. I don't care for all the lying he does to a client. However, I was really impressed with the stark difference his wife brings to the table during the presentation at the end. She is 100%, without a doubt, why they are successful. She knows how to treat and talk to a client. They're booked purely because his wife handles everything. If he handled the consults, they'd have less than half the business.

Nov 10, 2012 at 02:38 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

amonline wrote:
I don't view this type of post work as "high end" as a few have suggested.

Neither do I...but the brides do. Around here, there are not many successful photographers who have this editing style. So, to most brides, it is still new and different and artistic. 80%+ of the successful photographers around here have a fairly to mostly clean style so what he does stands out. I agree...to me it's making up for in post what is tough to accomplish in the camera. But, a lot of his high end feel to many (from what I have seen) has more to do with the overall brand rather than just the style of processing.

Nov 10, 2012 at 03:00 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

The sad part is they'll realize the difference when they look back in 20 years.

Nov 10, 2012 at 03:05 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

amonline wrote:
The sad part is they'll realize the difference when they look back in 20 years.

totally agree...

Sometimes I stand in awe of the decisions that some brides make. Then I remember...they are not experts at this. Usually, they find someone who they take to be an expert and trust their judgement. I just have to figure out how to be seen that was as some others are.

Nov 10, 2012 at 03:11 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

The perception of what "high end" looks like in the Midwest is different than it is in other areas.

- trr

Nov 10, 2012 at 03:55 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

StephanieTo wrote:
They announced before lunch that it was the second most sold course on CreativeLive during the live portion of the event. He's making good money here

That is not necessary the reason. CL has made a huge jump in audience in the past months. More people watching- more people buying, but percentage could be lower actually. Anyways- good for them

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:12 PM
ZachOly
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Wedding Photography Boot Camp on CreativeLive now.

WNStudio wrote:
That is not necessary the reason. CL has made a huge jump in audience in the past months. More people watching- more people buying, but percentage could be lower actually. Anyways- good for them

It was also a 5 day event versus the typically 2 or 3 day ones

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:19 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password