Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2012

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Berkshire Estate

Nice colors and processing.

A little thin on composition and interest.

Somewhere there are some great images in this scene. Maybe some more time spent working different comps will do it.

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:30 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Berkshire Estate

Jim,
Thanks for the feedback. Matches my internal critique.
My take is nice, pleasant scene but not much to keep returning to.
I did take a series from this estate, mostly pointed more to the right, down the hills and valleys. But they were meh. Got to return when the colors are more vibrant.

Scott

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Berkshire Estate

Lovely countryside, much different than what we encounter here - oak, gum, and pine. Oh yes, prolific and ever-present kudzu. Not much of a palette.

Regards,

Bob

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:14 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Berkshire Estate

I often come across scenes like this that are lovely to look at but don't translate into a compelling photograph. It happened to me just last week. I was at Magnolia Plantation in Charleston, SC. There's a wildlife viewing tower that overlooks a marsh of sawgrass with the river beyond. The breeze was blowing and you could see the sawgrass bending in waves. It was lovely, but would not render well in a photo.

First, I was there at the wrong time of day. The light was flat and uninteresting. It was a brilliant, cloudless day so the sky was just a blue expanse. I did a few record frames, both with wide angle and telephoto, but the photos lack interest. I made a mental note to try to return at a better time of day and on a day with a more interesting sky. I'd love to me there when a storm is brewing.

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:26 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Berkshire Estate

Bob, Doug thanks.
Seems like this is one of many images we all produce. And not every scene can be spectacular.
For critique sake, I guess the main issues besides the "content" is how well the particular scene was "executed". Any obvious improvements in crop, processing?

Scott

Nov 04, 2012 at 02:10 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Berkshire Estate

Yes, I must agree - one of those lovely-being-there-moments we all have that rarely translates into a compelling image. Like many of my captures from Savannah

Composition: for me the leading lines move the eye off the image and I want to see what is not there to the right, if that makes any sense. I don't know that cropping, a vignette, or anything else would minimize the effect other than introduce visual noise into an already visually active image, with the vegetation, color, and all.

Think that is about all I can offer in the way of critique,

regards,

Bob

Nov 04, 2012 at 04:46 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Berkshire Estate

sbeme wrote:
Jim,
Thanks for the feedback. Matches my internal critique.
My take is nice, pleasant scene but not much to keep returning to.
I did take a series from this estate, mostly pointed more to the right, down the hills and valleys. But they were meh. Got to return when the colors are more vibrant.

Scott

I agree with Jim, you, & me / us / them Jim , I am so confused,

Edited on Nov 05, 2012 at 11:49 AM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2012 at 08:27 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Berkshire Estate

Nov 05, 2012 at 08:43 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Berkshire Estate

Took a stab with a trim off the bottom to rebalance a bit.

Nov 05, 2012 at 09:52 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Berkshire Estate

Kent did the only thing I would have suggested, crop the bottom. The nature of the photo doesn't lend to allowing major changes. Looks like he bumped the contrast as well. It's more a matter of taste than an improvement per se.

Nov 05, 2012 at 12:15 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Berkshire Estate

I think the crop addresses Bob's point. The strong angular shadows pull the eye away from the main subject. In my mind they were a secondary interest/subject but it seems they competed too much.

Scott

Nov 05, 2012 at 12:57 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.