New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Street candid

Valjr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Street candid

BW conversion...Sorry for the blown highlights in her hair but she had bright pink hair that just glared in the bright sun. I thought it added to the pic. CC welcome. Thanks for looking.

© Valjr 2012

Nov 03, 2012 at 08:34 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Street candid

Is that a kazoo around her neck?

When you say "she had bright pink hair" it only makes me want to see this in colour.

If you think it is better in B&W, then that is your call. I am not one to question the photographer in these matters. But I do think I would prefer a proper B&W. This looks pretty blue on my end (or is it greenish...whatever the case may be, it isn't B&W). And maybe don't tell the viewing audience how awesome the colour actually was.

About the blown highlights: You pretty much maxed out what your camera could do in bright conditions wide open. 1/8000, ISO 100, f1.2. I don't mind blown highlights in a great photo, but here, combined with the OOF hair, just makes for a blurry, bright mass surrounded by sharp hair that almost completely dominates my attention. I think shooting at f2.2-2.8 would have kept all of her hair sharp, and made for a much stronger photo.

And finally, I'm not sure what is going on in the bokeh on the left side (just above where she is looking...what IS she looking at btw?...opportunity to tell more of a story here). It looks like artifacts introduced when downsizing, but it pretty much ruins the great OOF rendering of that lens of yours. Actually, you can see this pretty much everywhere in the OOF areas.

Sorry if this comes off as overly harsh. It is an interesting photo, you can tell it piqued my curiosity by my first question. That is always a success, give your viewer a reason to keep looking.

Dylan

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Valjr
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Street candid

Thanks Dylan for your comment. It's not harsh at all..thats why i post pics and welcome cc since i only recently started to shoot people (wildlife and landscapes previous). I need criticism in order to improve. Yes it's a kazoo...this was taken at Ashbury Haight district in SF. She was waiting to cross the street as i was and I just snapped a couple of pics. She didn't seem to mind as I was thinking she may have come from a shoot as she was dressed quite uniquely. She had a roller luggage that she was checking. I just recently purchased the 1.2L and we all know that with the very thin depth of field, it's a lens that requires a lot of practice. I did tone it bluish green as i thought it looked better to my eye than straight BW, This is my second week with this lens. I will post another of her in color in this thread.

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Valjr
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Street candid

This is a second shot of her untouched straight out of the camera...The pink hair.

© Valjr 2012

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:47 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Street candid

Yes, those fast lenses are tough to tame at first. Very satisfying mind you.

I find with my 85mm even shooting at f2.2 will wipe out a background depending on it's distance, and with a challenging subject such as this, with hair that looks to be on the large side, it can help keep things sharp.

I am not a big sharpness freak, but IMO, things are more appealing when everything in front of the eyes is more or less in focus.

Of course, nothing is ever written in stone, and the only 'rules' you absolutely should follow are the ones you happen upon yourself.

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Valjr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Street candid

Will keep your suggestions in mind..thanks again for commenting..it's very helpful. Just starting Street shooting..photoing random people will be a challenge especially if they don't want to be photographed...we'll see how it goes.

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:00 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.