Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cadillac Mountain sunrise: Thoughts?

zippylock
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cadillac Mountain sunrise: Thoughts?

Trying to post this in the correct thread as i am looking for some C&C.

This shot was taken with my D700 and 24-70 F2.8 after trying to find something creative in the pitch black. I didn't want to just have your typical sun over water shot i see all over google (not that its a bad thing). The week was overall poor due to rainy weather, but i think i captured something good here...

Thoughts? Comments?

I took about 20 different exposures since i planned going HRD, haha, but due to my lack of Pshop skills, i didn't know how to do that with a RAW file. So, this picture above was all edited and saved from one original file.

Let me know please, i would like to make this as good as possible, then print it for my wall . Still debting if i should lighting the rocks more or what.. i feel like there is more i can do here.

Thanks,
Chris

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:47 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cadillac Mountain sunrise: Thoughts?

I like it as is. I prefer letting backlit subjects be in silhouette or close to that. Just a bit of detail as you have in the shadows is fine for my taste. I really like the red glow and the star is great.

What I would really look for here and I can't see it at this size but it may show up in a print is blotchy colors, especially reds in the deep shadow. If the image is clean, print it. If not, some noise reduction may be in order. Yes, sometimes even at ISO100.

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:58 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cadillac Mountain sunrise: Thoughts?

Chris
I think its a good capture and I agree with Ben about the silhouette and just keeping some detail. The sun's rays are a strong visual element nicely captured.
Unfortunately I dont think the image holds much sustainable interest. Sorry you were limited by bad weather, but since you are a Mainer, guess there is a good chance you will get up to Acadia again with better opportunities.
What would make this work better?
Greater color range in the sky.
More clouds with the sun peaking through or varied lighting from backlit, underlit clouds and layering of colors.
More dramatic shapes silhouetted. This one may not be fair. I have been up there several times and I think it is a challenge to find a new and different comp and I recall the rock shapes as you have illustrated.
If/when you get back, think about finding your way to "Boulder Beach" and shoot towards the islands or towards Otter Cliffs at sunrise. Or head down to the lighthouse and carefully get out over the rocks for a shot of the lighthouse illuminated around dawn.
Finally, if you are not aware, David Patterson (on FM) is a local expert about photographing Acadia, is generous with his time and suggestions, and posts beautiful images on Landscape.

Scott

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:07 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password