Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Need help picking a tripod.

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Need help picking a tripod.

dcains wrote:
Absolutely! All tripods are the same.

+1
Yes all tripods are the same. And especially the CT314 from Induro. All lenses are also the same.........

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:13 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Need help picking a tripod.

dcains wrote:
Lars has no clue, and I don't either. I also especially enjoy these threads where the OP has $170 for a support system and we all jump in and spend $1500 for him.

I think you are missing the point. He said he was getting serious. Unfortunately, serious photography comes with a price. Took me 12 years, and a bit of luck to come up with funds for it. $1500 is serious. $170 is not. He would be better to save that $170, and at least find something in between. It is more of a reality check, than direction to a particular product.

Reminds me of customers that walk into a dealership, pick out a new car, and say, "I want that one. I'm not putting anything down, I want $5000 for my 1994 Buick Regal trade-in, and I only want to pay $200 per month!"

They get the new car. $850 for their trade, $2350 down and payments of $425 per month.

Desire -V- Reality.

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:07 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Need help picking a tripod.

I'm aware, thus the So is Lars.

Nov 11, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Glenn NK
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Need help picking a tripod.

dcains wrote:
. . . I also especially enjoy these threads where the OP has $170 for a support system and we all jump in and spend $1500 for him.

I had no clues either; went through three "serious" tripods before I realized wasting money on budget tripods is just that - a waste.

The cost of a MF 190 + a Giottos + a MF 055 was more than my Gitzo Explorer (which was sitting on the shelf at the dealer all the time I went through the first three).

I'm realizing that most of us only learn the hard way.

And the OP won't likely be an exception.

Glenn

Nov 11, 2012 at 05:56 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Need help picking a tripod.

Got it dcains. Thanks.

Well Glenn, hopefully he got a little help here. I know I got a lot of help here myself. There's hope.

Nov 11, 2012 at 05:59 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Need help picking a tripod.

My very first post here on FM was regarding the best support setup I could buy for <$200. Bought a Velbon on eBay, then 3 other throw-aways, before finally finding a used Gitzo G1228 here on the buy/sell forum about a year later. That Gitzo was ~$350, but the 4 previous tripods totalled $800+. We all figure it out eventually.

Nov 11, 2012 at 06:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dennis M 1064
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Need help picking a tripod.

Exactly. Like I said earlier, pay me now or pay me later. Ultimately you will spend the money. Buying well up front spares you the angst of things not working as you wanted, and feeling like you learned another lesson the hard way.

Nov 11, 2012 at 06:10 PM
Glenn NK
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Need help picking a tripod.

Dennis M 1064 wrote:
Exactly. Like I said earlier, pay me now or pay me later. Ultimately you will spend the money. Buying well up front spares you the angst of things not working as you wanted, and feeling like you learned another lesson the hard way.

Why are you picking on me?

Glenn

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:28 AM
S Dilworth
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Need help picking a tripod.

Besides the snobbery and borderline rudeness of assuming that everyone will eventually end up with a top-of-the-line Gitzo after Ďmistakinglyí trying to save money on cheaper tripods, itís also simply not true. Thereís no need to spend $1000 to keep your camera still during an exposure, and thatís all many photographers will ever want to do.

Now, there are other photographers, usually those who understand engineering better than most, who will work their way up the ladder and eventually get a Gitzo (or other expensive tripod) and posh ballhead.

So I suppose the best advice is this. Do you like fine engineering for its own sake, or are you obsessed with saving weight? If your answer to either question is yes, youíre likely to eventually end up with a Gitzo. May as well get it over with now (if you can afford it).

If youíre instead pragmatically minded and not fussed about saving 500 grams, youíll probably never see the need to spend $1000 on tripod nirvana. Not now, not tomorrow.

I used a Velbon Sherpa for a decade before I broke it by dropping it in a metro station (the one solitary piece of plastic in the whole head shattered!). I replaced it with a Gitzo, which Iím thrilled with, but I know itís an indulgence, not a strict need. And I certainly donít expect everyone to share my appreciation of its beauty and functionality.

Hey, some people think nothing will ever surpass the Uni-Loc Major! And thatís a good one. Whatís that monstrosity used by Don McCullin, no less, at 18:29 in this fascinating video?

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Need help picking a tripod.

For some reason I didn't get an email alert about this thread. I assumed it was dead.

First off, I'm going from no tripod to a tripod and I'm not trying to skimp on it either, I'm sorry if I'm not spending $2000 off the bat for something I didn't feel I needed up until a week ago.

Anyways that said, what does everyone think of this:

055CXPRO3 + Induro PHQ1

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:15 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Need help picking a tripod.

You guys can think I am crazy, but like I said, my buddy has a Gitzo GT2541 and I have a Benro C-258M8. They are both very close in every specification. I would not trade my Benro for his Gitzo. The Benro is surprisingly well designed, a bit better than the Gitzo.

I am sure this is not the case with each comparable model between both brands and I don't think I would ever go with a Benro head, but I have no regrets for the model I purchased.

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:59 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Need help picking a tripod.

Call Kerry at reallybigcameras.com, and have him set you up with a Feisol tripod/PhotoClam ballhead combination. Nice stuff, great service and support, and lightweight/sturdy. Ask about a CT3371 rapid tripod and PC40N ballhead - best setup available for ~$650-700, and it will last you a good long time.

Nov 13, 2012 at 05:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password