Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Need help picking a tripod.

niXer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Need help picking a tripod.

Finally getting serious about getting a tripod.

Right now my heaviest setup would be my Nikon D3, 70-200mm VR + my SB-700 or Nikon P7000 mounted on top of my D3.

For the legs I've always liked the rotating column of the Manfrotto 055XPROB so I'm probably going to pick that up unless anyone knows of another tripod like it with the same functionality?

For the tripod head, I don't really care if it's a ballhead or P/T but I'd like to have it with an Arcaswiss mount as my CarrySpeed FS-1 mounting plate is Aracaswiss ready or so it claims.

Any help or suggestions would be great, not really looking at carbon fiber as I don't plan to do hiking with it.

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Need help picking a tripod.

well as to the same functionality as the 055XPROB no, considerably more yes. that would be the Gitzo GT2541ex. but it is somewhat slower (it does require some thought) to operate in some ways but so much more capable and stable in the long run.

your choice in either 3 or 4 sections. I own and prefer 4 in this style of product.

http://www.gitzo.us/series-2-carbon-6x-explorer-tripod-4-section-g-lock

I have a RRS BH-40 mounted on it. you CS plate will end up being a less then adequate device vs an L plate for positioning and use. that is of course if you want to use it to its full potential

Nov 04, 2012 at 01:05 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #3 · Need help picking a tripod.

If you are looking at Aluminum, Manfrotto makes some really nice tripods including the 055XPROB you mentioned. If your above mentioned kit will be the heaviest you will use, get those legs and a nice ballhead like the BH-40 mentioned above.

If the legs + ballhead are above your budget, look for less expensive Arca heads from Markins, Photoclam or Induro. Get a knob-style ballhead- not the lever release.

I have the FS-Pro strap and I will warn you it is a bit too wide to completely lock into most clamps.

Nov 04, 2012 at 01:17 AM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #4 · Need help picking a tripod.

sjms wrote:
well as to the same functionality as the 055XPROB no, considerably more yes. that would be the Gitzo GT2541ex. but it is somewhat slower (it does require some thought) to operate in some ways but so much more capable and stable in the long run.

your choice in either 3 or 4 sections. I own and prefer 4 in this style of product.

http://www.gitzo.us/series-2-carbon-6x-explorer-tripod-4-section-g-lock

I have a RRS BH-40 mounted on it. you CS plate will end up being a less then adequate device vs an L plate for positioning and use. that is of course if you want to use it to
...Show more

Yeah way more than I'm looking for. That tripod head looks good except for the price.

vsg28 wrote:
If you are looking at Aluminum, Manfrotto makes some really nice tripods including the 055XPROB you mentioned. If your above mentioned kit will be the heaviest you will use, get those legs and a nice ballhead like the BH-40 mentioned above.

If the legs + ballhead are above your budget, look for less expensive Arca heads from Markins, Photoclam or Induro. Get a knob-style ballhead- not the lever release.

I have the FS-Pro strap and I will warn you it is a bit too wide to completely lock into most clamps.

Looking at this, http://www.adorama.com/INDBHD0.html does that seem too much?

Do you use the FS-PRO or did you buy an L-plate?

Nov 04, 2012 at 01:29 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #5 · Need help picking a tripod.

I use the FS-Pro because it works well enough with my ballhead (Induro BHL-3). The BHD-0 is not big enough for me to recommend it to you. Go atleast BHD-2 or equivalent from other companies.

Nov 04, 2012 at 01:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Need help picking a tripod.

then I guess you're really not getting all that "that" serious.

Nov 04, 2012 at 02:16 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #7 · Need help picking a tripod.

lol

I got an L plate for when I am planning to use a tripod exclusively, but for general use the Arca plate on the strap works fine with the big clamp on my ballhead.

Nov 04, 2012 at 02:43 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Need help picking a tripod.

Feisol do a range of decent tripods that fall in the price gap between Manfrotto and Gitzo. You can also get an alternative centre post mount that will give you horizontal centre post mounting.

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:35 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Need help picking a tripod.

sjms wrote:

Ouch! So true.

EBH

Nov 04, 2012 at 03:54 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Need help picking a tripod.

I have the older 190 with the articulated column. It's convenient, but I never could quite get the column locked down.There is *always* some movement in the mounting. The 70-200 may be out of that tripod's league.

It's a really wonderful idea, but an engineering nightmare. I finally got a Feisol 3372 with NO column. Now I don't even miss the column.

Nov 04, 2012 at 07:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #11 · Need help picking a tripod.

I have had a great experience with my Induro tripod, as have a number of other photographers I know. They have a good line of both aluminum and cf tripods: http://www.indurogear.com/main/
As far a ballheads, I have really liked using my silly named PhotoClam head.
Paul

Nov 05, 2012 at 05:04 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #12 · Need help picking a tripod.

Take a look at the Benro A2980T, more descriptive pictures here. Induros are produced by a Benro affiliate and are superficially different but essentially the same. You can get cheaper prices by sourcing a Benro directly from mainland China. Holgacamera is a reputable dealer.

Nov 05, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Need help picking a tripod.

sjms wrote:

Nov 05, 2012 at 01:52 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #14 · Need help picking a tripod.

peter_n wrote:
Take a look at the Benro A2980T, more descriptive pictures here. Induros are produced by a Benro affiliate and are superficially different but essentially the same. You can get cheaper prices by sourcing a Benro directly from mainland China. Holgacamera is a reputable dealer.

I second the Benro. I have had one for years that stands up to the abuse of travelling and the outdoors. My friend bought a comparable Gitzo and my Benro had not only more features out of the box such as the full compliment of accessories, but small details like the weight hook were more thought out on the Benro, which was honestly surprising to me.

I also own a 055XPROB, but that thing is so heavy that I have only used it one time when I needed 2 tripods after I got the Benro. It would be great for the articulating arm, but I consequently haven't needed that yet.

Nov 05, 2012 at 05:39 PM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #15 · Need help picking a tripod.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Anyone have opinions on this one? http://www.adorama.com/GTMT9360.html

+

Induro BHD2?

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:38 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #16 · Need help picking a tripod.

I recently bought the RRS Versa 24L, BH1, and L bracket for my 5D3. I shoot the 70-200f4 with no issues on stability. If you are prone to adding a teleconverter, I would recommend a lens collar and plate. That will keep things balanced better.

It is really pretty light for packing, the Carbon Fiber doesn't get cold like aluminum, and it is a good investment. If you are planning to step up, you may want to grab a bigger step. Otherwise, you will eventually feel the need to upgrade again, and it will cost you even more, as you have already gone 'part' of the way.

Like they say, "Pay me now, or pay me later."

Good luck, happy hunting.

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #17 · Need help picking a tripod.

Induro CT314. It's as serious as any Gitzo.

Nov 10, 2012 at 01:01 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Need help picking a tripod.

Waki wrote:
Induro CT314. It's as serious as any Gitzo.

Absolutely! All tripods are the same.

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:09 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Need help picking a tripod.

dcains wrote:
Absolutely! All tripods are the same.

OH? Just ask Lars about my Dynatrans! PLEASE note: I will NOT be responsible for Lars' fit of apoplexy.

Nov 10, 2012 at 06:07 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Need help picking a tripod.

Lars has no clue, and I don't either. I also especially enjoy these threads where the OP has $170 for a support system and we all jump in and spend $1500 for him.

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password