Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

jonrock wrote:
I kind of like how our alt forum is right now. There's a nice of mix of diversity covering different systems.

+1

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:56 AM
paulhofseth
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

A simple solution is to split the Leitz\Leica thread .

One thread "Leica -lens or camera- PICTURES AND THEIR TEXT ONLY" plus a "Leica camera or optics TEXT ONLY ; samples in the picture thread please".

This should solve all objections above, at the cost of some extra posting.

P.

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:08 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

Well, that would solve the problem for people who want photos and text separately. It doesn't solve the (non-)problem for those of us who like everything in one thread, even if it moves a bit faster.

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:24 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

Mescalamba wrote:
I like our alternative corner and I would like to keep it that way.

absolutely !

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:34 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

akul wrote:
MIght as well create Olympus forum, Sony forum, Pentax forum, Zeiss Forum, Film Forum....etc. before it gets to Leica forum. Nuh, it does not make any sense. You need a critical mass. Alt as is gets traffic. Dividing further into small cells will just kill all of them. Cross pollination is a good thing IMHO.

+100

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:53 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

JohnJ wrote:
+100

+200.

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:41 AM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

Look at the bottom of the alt page. Last post. 6 days ago.

Nov 04, 2012 at 09:17 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

mortyb wrote:
+200.

+6

Nov 04, 2012 at 09:30 AM
AshNZ
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

As Leica users have more expensive cameras it is only fitting that we get our own forum.

I am in two minds. If I really want technical analysis or have a very specific question I go to L-Camera-Forum anyway, they have threads on everything. However, boy do those guys like to snap at each other. It's not always the friendliest environment. Now, with our little Leica Photo Thread, we have developed a small sub community that is very rare - I would not want to jeopardize that! Even with alternative dedicated Leica forums elsewhere on the internet, our small group like to consistently post in a dinky thread hidden on FM.

Perhaps we should stick to the status quo?

(Even though I voted 'Yes')

Ash

Nov 04, 2012 at 10:52 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

It seems to me from the number of yesses that most Leica owners of this forum voted yes. just saying.

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:27 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

edwardkaraa wrote:
It seems to me from the number of yesses that most Leica owners of this forum voted yes. just saying.

yeah, i don't want one because, like many others stated, i like the diversity of views, opinions, and expertise and how it keeps the forum from becoming an echo chamber of love for a single brand no matter what they do. i also like to see the images on the leica thread despite the fact that i don't shoot a leica but know i would not make the journey to another forum to do so.

i can understand why a lot of leica people want their own thread, the brand certainly attracts a lot of animosity. it's got to be rather tiresome to have a steady stream of people repeating the same tired leica clichés about leica users in every thread where leica is mentioned.

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:22 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

It's worth noting that Leica users tend to fall into 2 distinct camps, rangefinder and SLR.

I can't speak for others but I have incredibly little interest in rangefinders, their glass, use etc etc. La la la, lost interest already...

However I'm sure I'm in the minority as any Leica specific forum is usually heavily biased towards range finders, see Photo.net, L-Camera, D-Preview Leica Talk, others...

I think theses days the term 'Leica' has become synonymous with M and rangefinders, understandably. I'm not averse to a separate 'rangefinder’ forum which would probably be ideal for those users and maybe there would be enough interest to keep that alive. But that wasn't the original poll question, however I wonder if that's what most people think it means.

TBH, I haven’t the slightest idea how a Leica lens on a Leica camera is Alternative anyway, or for that matter a Hasselblad lens on an Hasselblad body, a Contax lens on a Contax film body, etc etc. I always thought that Alt referred to using non OEM lenses, rather than referring globally to anything except Nikon/Nikon or Canon/Canon (lens/body). But that's probably why this forum is fairly busy as it has become a place where people talk about all kinds of relatively high end gear (optically), regardless of make.

There would be very little talk in a separate Leica R (SLR) forum, unless it was biased towards video. Don’t the video guys have all the good R glass these days?

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:25 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

I sorta fail to see why would anyone want to separate from alt corner?

Are ppl mean here?

Do we have lots of fanboys here?

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:34 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

JohnJ wrote:
There would be very little talk in a separate Leica R (SLR) forum, unless it was biased towards video. Don’t the video guys have all the good R glass these days?

Not really, as far as I know video guys have a lot of various stuff. Hardcore ones have at least one Zeiss prime for video. Less hardcore ones have more or less interesting solutions, including Panasonic and Voigtlaender primes, SLR Magic stuff etc. And obviously theres quite a large number of those using Canon lens.

Actually dont remember seeing much of Leica R used..

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:37 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

I am no fanboy, nor locked into Leica. Should there be a serious alternative for the M9 and lenses, I would definitely consider it. That said, it would be great to have a separate thread for RF/Leica and the like. It would allow offshoot threads to discuss other interesting related topics.

I appreciate everyone's perspective, but I have become a lot more active in other threads, such as GetDPI as it allows the differentiation of many makes and types, without the clutter or losing the thread off the page should when there have been no posts for a day.

Nov 06, 2012 at 12:45 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

it'll take half the stuff out of the Alt Forum, which will make it easier to go through.

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:04 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

A RF forum is the logical progression......

Nov 06, 2012 at 06:08 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

Maybe another..I am stupidly well off with a huge disposable income..what should I spend it on?

Nov 06, 2012 at 06:09 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

A course to cure indecision.

Nov 06, 2012 at 06:31 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

The Velvet Rope Forum

(Once you go in, you don't get to come back out)

Nov 06, 2012 at 07:37 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.