New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · My date this morning

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My date this morning

My grand daughter spent the night and we went to breakfast this morning. She struck me a pretty cute with her lip gloss and hat so I grabbed a picture to remember the moment.

Sort of posed, you know this is not my forte so any suggestions would be appreciated.

had her stand near a window to get the natural side light. I shot at 70 mm f2.8 and still needed a heavy crop.

Iso800 with Topaz NR applied, hardly any post processing other than nr and crop.

I am usually shy about showing my grandkids on the web but I could not help myself.

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:34 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My date this morning

Well this is either so good nobody can fix it, or so bad people are afraid to tell me or I am on everybodies ignore. I never know which it is.

I am heading to Zion in the morning so I will be off the air until Wednesday.

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:55 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My date this morning

Ben,
I think its very good, and far better than the portraits I can do. A bit hesitant to post suggestions and a rework since others are far better at this than I am.
Anyhow, I think it needs only minor tweaks. I think the crop is just right.
Opened up some shadows, some selective dodging on the right side of her face, around the eye.Slight vignette. A bit of burning her hair on the right side of the image to preserve details and a bit of highlight recovery as well. Slight curves work, pulling up mid-tones.
Scott

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:16 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My date this morning

Thanks Scott, I wondered about the darker left side and if s/h was required. The original was so large that cropping was easy.

Even though I did not use a flash, i see multiple catchlights in her left eye. Probably from some external light (the room itself had no lights. I might need to fix that but the question would be which one to leave? I guess match the right eye.

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:24 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My date this morning

Catchlights.
So, this is one area where I fall short. I didnt even notice. Not exactly acceptable for a full critique of a portrait.
I think your instinct is correct. You need to match the right eye, cloning out the catchlights at 3 and 9 o'clock.
BTW, I love the shot! Such warmth, cuteness, character and the hat is great!!

Scott

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My date this morning

It was the subject that made it I sat across the table at breakfast thinking, I just have to capture this.

I wish I could have done a candid. My old Nikon 990 was a great candid camera with its swivel. I could hold it in my lap and take pictures at family functions and nobody noticed. It did make red eye however.

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:33 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My date this morning

Ok, per Scotts suggestion less vignette which I don't care for. But I also cloned out the extra catch lights.

I probably should have watched for this when I took and also could have avoided the bright patch across her right eye.

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My date this morning

Took a stab.

-6,-2,+34 @ shadows for cast
Opened up shadows
Slight crop & rotate
Clone hanging thread
USM
Vignette

All to taste of course.

She looks like she was enjoying her time to help grandad combine his passions.

BTW ... is this the same one whose image you posted before (iirc)?

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:14 PM
silvawispa
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My date this morning

It's a lovely photograph and a good memory to catch.

However, the light is too harsh. A simple diffuser (a sheet) across the window would have softened the light and made it glorious.

I think, given the subject, eye contact would have been appropriate. But, she's your granddaughter and it's your relationship! (You could play on the relationship and look for those moments where she is a little more dynamic and she might not look quite so rigid and stuffed! Turn it into a game )

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My date this morning

silvawispa wrote:
It's a lovely photograph and a good memory to catch.

However, the light is too harsh. A simple diffuser (a sheet) across the window would have softened the light and made it glorious.

I think, given the subject, eye contact would have been appropriate. But, she's your granddaughter and it's your relationship! (You could play on the relationship and look for those moments where she is a little more dynamic and she might not look quite so rigid and stuffed! Turn it into a game )

Lovely young lady, Ben.

I like Scott's and Kent's re-works and must also agree with Paul - somehow she does not appear 'natural' - she is doing a wonderful job of being your subject while (I suspect) not being herself.

That said, still a great family capture which I am sure you all will enjoy.

Regards,

Bob

Nov 04, 2012 at 04:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My date this morning

+1 @ harsh (direct) window light vs. "classic" (indirect) window.

Of course, given that it was a semi-spontaneous session, if that was the only available light ... then you have to either go with it or contend/modify it.

A reflector or fill flash might have been helpful as well, but again, I'm taking it in context of the spirit of spontaneity, and from that of a non-portrait photographer. Makes for a nice enough pic and a launching point for more.

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:07 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My date this morning

ben egbert wrote:
Well this is either so good nobody can fix it, or so bad people are afraid to tell me or I am on everybodies ignore. I never know which it is.

I am heading to Zion in the morning so I will be off the air until Wednesday.

Ben; You know my feeling on messing with family photo's... My suggestion is treasure the time together... Jim

Nov 05, 2012 at 08:22 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My date this morning

Thanks all for comments. Just returned from Zion with 2x16 GBit cards full. So I am late to reply.

You have some nice suggestions with regards to fill light. As far as eye contact, I have a couple like that, but when I noticed it I specifically asked her to turn away because I am not a huge fan of direct eye contact. I thought it looked more natural to look away.

Kent, I posted a picture from a play with non family members. I also posted a picture taken by a different grand daughter, but this is the first time I have posted one of a grand daughter.

Nov 07, 2012 at 10:34 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My date this morning

Right ... the picture (image) taken by the different grand daughter (not image of) is what I was referring / asking if it was the same person.

So ... how was Zion ... as if I have to ask.

Bring on the pics.

Nov 07, 2012 at 10:38 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My date this morning

Different Grand daughter.

I doubt I show any Zion stuff. I have some I love, but I was shooting for myself so the subject/compostion violates all the rules.

Zion was mobbed. If I go back, I will stay away from the scenic drive and icon locations. I have my icon shots and know the area well enough now to know where to return.

I won't go during shuttle season and other than the first week or two of November the park is less interesting.

But I think it is the most beautiful Park in Utah, just too many people.

Nov 07, 2012 at 11:06 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My date this morning

ben egbert wrote:
subject/compostion violates all the rules.

Yeah ... so ...

Its your vision, your voice. I think we've come to accept that and already beat "the rules" into submission.

I never got beyond roadside viewing ... so I would enjoy seeing some of what I missed.

Bring on the pics that express your vision & voice.

Nov 07, 2012 at 11:10 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.