FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

gordon l
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

Padre Canyon is not named on any map of Snow Canyon State Park, Utah. It's simply a place you can go if you know about it. I heard some things about it in our local newspaper and decided it'd be great to see during a rainstorm. The particular terrain made me believe there would be waterfalls and pools. I was not disappointed. My two daughters and I hiked up this small canyon and discovered one waterfall after another. Not all were photogenic but we had a great time discovering non-iconic gems. At the end of the morning, the rain stopped and we warmed up in the sunshine too. Please enjoy.

#1 Padre Canyon is one of the most beautiful locations inside Snow Canyon State Park. A beautiful waterfall formed during a heavy downpour.
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-Landscape-2012/i-X4R45LF/0/XL/Path%20of%20Least%20Resistance%3A%20%20Padre%20Canyon%20Waterfall-XL.jpg

#2 Moss and Sandstone
To get the whole sloping plane of rock in focus, I tilted my 17mm tilt-shift lens slightly. Perfect tool for the job.
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-Landscape-2012/i-qFMHvZd/0/XL/Moss%20and%20Sandstone-XL.jpg

#3 Climbing up above the canyon, this wider view showed the terrain
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-Landscape-2012/i-SwLGtWL/0/XL/Padre%20Canyon%20Scenery-XL.jpg

#4 Swirling pool below waterfall in a longer-exposure. Lots of photographic fun with this location.
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Photo-of-the-Month/Photo-of-the-Month/i-QPHXPzd/0/XL/Circular%20Whirlpool-XL.jpg

Nov 03, 2012 at 07:16 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

No.2 and 3 are my picks. The lichen on the rocks on the second adds some nice clor contrast.
Douglas

Nov 03, 2012 at 07:39 AM
Zeph
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

Great time to be in the sandstone hills...
I like the presentation of the first, but the closeup, (#2) holds my attention the longest...

Nov 03, 2012 at 08:46 AM
kvolk
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

It sounds like a great time and I like your photos. We're you hiking on one of the trails? Sadly, Snow Canyon is very much a look but don't touch kind of a place. Last time I visited we hiked up onto the rocks a little bit and when we came down we were met by a ranger who chewed us out and threatened to ticket us for leaving the designated trail. There is so much to see that those restrictions are very limiting. I love to explore a little in places like that. Good idea to go during the rain. Dynamic scenes with saturated colors.

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:39 AM
davidmarsh
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

very nice motion with the water, nice shots

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

Very nice # 3 my pick

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:53 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

Hey Gordon,

It's always cool to find these little unknown gems. My favorites are #1 and then #2.

Jim

Nov 03, 2012 at 12:05 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

Gordon,
Numbers 1 & 2 are my favorites but they are all nice finds.
I have been on a quest to do a similar thing locally,
In many ways, more fun that the traditional icons.

Thanks for posting
Dan

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:00 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

Zeph wrote:
Great time to be in the sandstone hills...
I like the presentation of the first, but the closeup, (#2) holds my attention the longest...

Thanks very much. Sounds like several liked the liken and sandstone picture. Wasn't sure if that would be liked as it is a smaller "landscape" of sorts but it was lovely to see in person. Thanks.

Nov 04, 2012 at 08:28 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

kvolk wrote:
It sounds like a great time and I like your photos. We're you hiking on one of the trails? Sadly, Snow Canyon is very much a look but don't touch kind of a place. Last time I visited we hiked up onto the rocks a little bit and when we came down we were met by a ranger who chewed us out and threatened to ticket us for leaving the designated trail. There is so much to see that those restrictions are very limiting. I love to explore a little in places like that. Good idea to go during the
...Show more

This spot is a regular trail that people can hike, but it is not maintained. It's a spur off the "Three Ponds Trail". The 3 ponds trail itself is pretty UNDERWHELMING and this one is actually much better.
The rangers probably didn't like you climbing above the campground, I'm guessing. Sorry if they are too aggressive. I've been OK and haven't had any run ins with them.

Gordon

Nov 04, 2012 at 08:31 AM
M.P.R.
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

Great photos, thanks for posting. Never heard of this place, looks like it is definitely worth a visit.

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Mirza Ahmad
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

The water seems to have dried off in the 2nd and 3rd images .... :-)

First one is lovely. The sandstone looks really nice in contrast.

Mirza

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Padre Canyon Waterfall

good job

and sounds like fun

Nov 05, 2012 at 05:26 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.