Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

#2 with a little more to the right for me on crop.

Wow, that is close action and a unique 'bear trap' or 'barrel trap
Grasses seem a bit too saturated in 1 and 2 but a fine looking bear!
Oh, and the last is great and would also work up nicely cropped without the photog

Lucky you and thanks for sharing your close encounters.
Karl

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Dave Bachrach
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Patrick,

Great series! I like #2...maybe just give it a little more space on the left (splash) side. Did you take these at Geographic Harbor?

Dave

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Candor
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

#2 for me. Lots to like about both of them though.

Mike

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

#2 for me

Nov 04, 2012 at 02:00 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Hi Dave, Yes you are correct on the location.
You may have missed the other 3 images. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1161085
Patrick

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:27 PM
bht-kevin
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Nice shots but that last one is way too close. I don't care how safe you think you are. That is an apex predator and if it had the inclination, it would kill you with no effort. I think the recommended cushion is 50 yards and that appears to be 6 feet. I am not posting this to be rude, but its not something that should be acceptable in the photography community.

Nov 05, 2012 at 07:13 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

I thought about bht-kevin post comments and I don’t think I’m going to “poke the bear” so to speak and turn this post into some long winded battle of ethics and who can type better than others. The previous post that he was involved with did not turn out so great and caused the thread to be locked.

There is nothing that I can or would like to say that would not cause any kind of response. I have decided to remove the images and let the post disappear to the depths. I really don’t see it ending well and the beautiful bears will be overlooked.

I thank graciously those that did comment on being constructive as to what crop is preferred and I respect his or her opinions. It has reinforced my thinking that a crop can make or break a image and it is an art of balance not to take lightly.

Thanks,

Patrick

bht-kevin wrote:
Nice shots but that last one is way too close. I don't care how safe you think you are. That is an apex predator and if it had the inclination, it would kill you with no effort. I think the recommended cushion is 50 yards and that appears to be 6 feet. I am not posting this to be rude, but its not something that should be acceptable in the photography community.

bht-kevin wrote:
I forget how sensitive people are sometimes. I honestly meant to offense and the pictures were great. I don't think you should take the others down, just no need to promote being 6 feet from a wild animal as normal practice. I've seen some absolutely horrible things with animals attacking humans (domesticated). I'm sure that shapes my opinion.

Edited on Nov 06, 2012 at 12:50 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2012 at 11:06 PM
bht-kevin
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

PV Hiker wrote:
I thought about bht-kevin post comments and I don’t think I’m going to “poke the bear” so to speak and turn this post into some long winded battle of ethics and who can type better than others. The previous post that he was involved with did not turn out so great and caused the thread to be locked.

I forget how sensitive people are sometimes. I honestly meant to offense and the pictures were great. I don't think you should take the others down, just no need to promote being 6 feet from a wild animal as normal practice. I've seen some absolutely horrible things with animals attacking humans (domesticated). I'm sure that shapes my opinion.

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:54 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

I agree that it is generally best to keep your distance from wild animals. From a safety point of view, I want to emphasize that we did not approach bears, but set up in an approved location at a distance. There were other groups of people in the area also. Occasionally the bears would approach quite closely but at that point there was really no place to get away from them. We were careful to stay in a group, follow the directions of our guide and have bear spray. I think Alaska bears in Katmai, McNeill River, etc. are fairly used to people and are often in close proximity, but certainly you still want to be aware that they are wild and can be unpredicatable even when they do have the abundant salmon as a food source.
Patrick

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:15 PM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

I prefer #2 here. If you crop just a little less tight I might like it even more. It's a great shot in either case.

Jim

Nov 08, 2012 at 05:45 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.