Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a ...

PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Thanks for the comments from the last series. I was able to look at some more images
and I have a question on cropping between image #1 & 2.

Your comments are welcome.

#1 & 2 Bear fishing, two different crops.
#3 How do you capture a bear? Just let them walk into your lens of course.

Patrick

Edited on Nov 16, 2012 at 05:50 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:48 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

I prefer #2 Patrick... great capture.
#4 WOW!!! What a thrill to be shooting so close to action like that... I'm assuming the bears must not show any aggression towards the photographers
Wonderful set... TFS.

Kirk

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:01 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Fine shots Patrick. Of the first two I prefer the second one - super action! You got mighty close to the bears!
David

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:22 AM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #4 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Nice shots, all of them. I'll take the looser first crop, as I get a greater understanding of context and the distance already covered by the bear as he got to the water edge. It's clear he's moving forward in crop 1; less so in crop 2.

Would love to have an experience like this someday.

John Caldwell

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:27 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Good work Patrick! My choice would be the first one, I like the entire splah the bear has made flowing out to left side of frame.
Douglas

Nov 03, 2012 at 12:33 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

My choice would be the first crop!
Great set ,but oh my so close to the bears!!

Birdie

Edited on Nov 03, 2012 at 02:48 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:18 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Lovely set Patrick. #1 for me too. The last two definitely show the bear/human relationship well.

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Nice set #1 for sure.

Rob

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:36 PM
teacher386

p.1 #9 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Amazing set. I really love #1.

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:25 PM
barrye
• •
p.1 #10 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

I would also prefer #1 because it shows the entire splash which is definitely the main focus of this story as it shows movement.

Barry

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

shibalagu

p.1 #11 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Great capture!

I love #1 more, but i think it might be better if you cut off a little bit from the right side. The water on the left side is very beatiful, and it shows the power of the bear. But there's nothing on the right side. We can leave some room for the imagination by cutting off the right side.

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:30 PM
rockant
• •
p.1 #12 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Great shots!

I like #1 more, it conveys the movement better.

The lack of distance in #4 just makes me nervous, but I am used to "hungry" bears looking for food. These ones appear to have just what they want to eat.

Anthony

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:52 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #13 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Kirk, Anthony, I went with Michael Francis Photography, (clickie link to web page) he has been leading trips here for 17 years and those bears do see people but not too many. They are just interested in catching and eating fish and concerned about each other. There is plenty of food for them, they will get close if they want to. Day one with first bear going by I was nervous, don’t make eye contact… we were the fly on the wall in their world being respectful of their space.

Image number 4 the bear had caught a fish way to the right but was feeling nervous of another bear and was just moving by and keeping an eye on the other bear. The bear moved more off to our left in some tall grass and ate the fish.

Rules, rules, rules. Thanks all for bringing out some thoughts for cropping. If it was not for the bears head looking so far right. I do see and agree that #1 has a story of action and movement that is more complete. So break a rule and put the bear more center leaving room for his eyes to look right. How much tighter of a crop off of the right can be done without there being enough open space for to bear to look into? But that puts the main subject further right.

Nov 03, 2012 at 05:53 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.1 #14 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Patrick,

A tough call on the crop, but I would go with #1, but #2 is a close second IMHO. Dang you guys get close!!

Wes N.

Nov 03, 2012 at 07:41 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

#1 for me, has more movement to it

-Tim

Nov 03, 2012 at 07:47 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

#1 for me also Patrick

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:29 PM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #17 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

If this were a documentary photo of the physics of bears splashing, #1 would be better. But, contrary to the consensus, I think #2 is much better aesthetically. It focuses the viewer's eye on the bear's expression, the solid water coming off its paws, and includes the major part of the splash. Compared with #1, the residual splash and vegetation to our left of the #2 crop is a hum-drum dilution of the major action and distracts attention from the dramatic focus of the image. In addition, for whatever human reason, an animal looking into the image space is more attractive than its looking at the outside border. Although it's the same base photo, the second crop increases the relative space between the bear's gaze and the direction of the gaze. To me, it's a no-contest.

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Jude Perera
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Nice. Prefer #2 crop as well.

Jude

Nov 04, 2012 at 01:07 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #19 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

Jdc562 thank you for your insight and explaining it so well. Definitely good food for thought and you have strong points to weigh.
Patrick

Nov 04, 2012 at 04:03 AM
brian_sp
• • •
p.1 #20 · More Alaska Coastal Bears*Images are Back*What crop is a better choice?

beautiful set, i would pick #1 for the sense of the enviroment

Nov 04, 2012 at 04:11 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password