FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · wedding at jersey shore - not sure how I feel about it

timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · wedding at jersey shore - not sure how I feel about it

OK, so I've got a wedding in wildwood/somers point tomorrow, and I'm not sure how I feel about it or the approach. On one hand, the bride grew up at the jersey shore and has been looking forward to shots on the beach - she went on and on how she didn't care about anything else but the pictures of her and her hubby on the beach. So, I owe it to her to deliver the absolute best shots I can. On the other hand, my wife has been pointing out how we're going to be surrounded by destruction and people who've lost everything so its a little disrespectful to have the B&G playfully walking along the shoreline, etc.

I dunno, is this a case of finding something wonderful to begin rebuilding, or is it disrespectful? Should I just do some romantic shots and do the playful shots at the CC which is inland and undamaged?

My wife is actually thinking that we shouldn't shoot on the beach at all.

thoughts?

Nov 02, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · wedding at jersey shore - not sure how I feel about it

Do what the bride wants. There won't be many people around and if they are they have bigger things to worry about. If anything it will be good for them to see that things are getting back to normal and that people are enjoying themselves.

Nov 02, 2012 at 09:39 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · wedding at jersey shore - not sure how I feel about it

First thing I thought about when I read this was: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/brazilian_model_slammed_after_sandy_2i2ck6S8NUgjPTvt4g6b4M?utm_campaign=OutbrainA&utm_source=OutbrainArticlepages&obref=obinsite#

That said, life goes on. I live on the beach in Florida and I'm from New Orleans... it's honestly better for things to start moving and getting back to normal as soon as possible. As long as you're not running around exploiting the situation (like the girl in the above article? that's just weird), it's perfectly normal for them to want to remember the shore in their wedding photos. It's a happy place for them and it will be a happy place again.

Nov 02, 2012 at 10:04 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · wedding at jersey shore - not sure how I feel about it

You do it, life has to go on amidst the rebuilding. But it may take a different meaning on with the B&G had it been at another time, pre-Sandy. So you may want be attuned to how the bride is feeling.

Nov 03, 2012 at 05:57 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · wedding at jersey shore - not sure how I feel about it

knock it out... it is true that many of of us Jerseyans lost places where childhood memories were made.. so start making memories at the NEW jersey shore.

Nov 03, 2012 at 07:54 AM
chrisbergmann
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · wedding at jersey shore - not sure how I feel about it

With the police presence are you even able to get down there to shoot?

Nov 03, 2012 at 07:05 PM
SparkleDogtoo

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · wedding at jersey shore - not sure how I feel about it

I think there's a huge difference between a model taking crappy photos posed on someone else's crushed Honda and a person who grew up on Jersey Shore deciding to forge ahead. And honestly, weddings usually make people smile. I'd bet the people who live there won't even notice you or, if they do, will see a pretty girl in a pretty dress starting a new life. Don't go climbing on the foundations of destroyed houses or anything and I'd bet you'll be fine.

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:24 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · wedding at jersey shore - not sure how I feel about it

Thanks guys - I'll post some shots tomorrow but south of the eye (ie south of AC/ventnor) the situation is much better. I saw no destroyed houses in wildwood, north wildwood, somers point, or ocean city. I did see one older hous that had lost a lot of siding shngles, but that was the worst I saw.

The worst part for the wedding party was the cold wind, but everything went well on the beach/boardwalk.

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:54 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · wedding at jersey shore - not sure how I feel about it

I see nothing disrespectful about shooting on the beach.

Nov 04, 2012 at 01:23 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · wedding at jersey shore - not sure how I feel about it

ckhagen wrote:
First thing I thought about when I read this was: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/brazilian_model_slammed_after_sandy_2i2ck6S8NUgjPTvt4g6b4M?utm_campaign=OutbrainA&utm_source=OutbrainArticlepages&obref=obinsite#

Those can't be from a serious photographer I hope. I know they're websized, but they look like they were taken from an old point and shoot

Nov 06, 2012 at 10:49 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.