Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tethering to tablet/smart phone in the field

Kisutch
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Tethering to tablet/smart phone in the field

I do remote photography where the camera is placed in a waterproof box and then mounted somewhere, like in a tree. I use a Canon 400D usually. The problem is, once the camera is in place, it's hard to dial in the shot, because you can't simply take a shot and look at the LCD screen--you have to unmount/unhouse the camera to see how a test picture turned out.

I have an iPad and iPhone, and I'm interested in whether I could tether to my camera using an eye-fi card. My understanding is that this involves a wireless hotspot. I've seen some tutorials on the internet, but none so far have made it clear whether this sort of thing would work in places without 3G or internet access--I am working in remote spots without wireless services. Does anyone know if there is a tethering solution to connect a mobile device to an SLR like the 400D without 3G/internet access? Thanks a lot for any feedback/links.

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Tethering to tablet/smart phone in the field

The recent FM article on external Monitor use has reinvigorated discussions on this topic. Fred started threads in both the Nikon and Canon forums and the question of external video control always comes up. It appears the most advanced set up for Canon is shown here, DSLR controller:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1162663/0#11088341

Mike K

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #3 · Tethering to tablet/smart phone in the field

Thanks mike

Nov 07, 2012 at 07:03 AM
gse53
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Tethering to tablet/smart phone in the field

Helicon makes a remote app for android that I am trying out on my Nexus 7. The demo only does jpg. You can focus stack as well as bracket for HDR beyond the 3-5 shots from the camera. I think it is $29 US to buy to take raw. The desktop version is included in Helicon Focus Pro.

Helicon Remote

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:44 PM
DontShoot
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Tethering to tablet/smart phone in the field

Check out Camranger. "400D" is not listed on the compatible cameras, but that list might be outdated. It'll be best if you email them.

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password