Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

I remember that incident, did they make up to the FMer? What happened eventually?

Nov 03, 2012 at 12:31 PM
sandycrane
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

I too bought the Sunway L-bracket for the NEX-7 and the design, manufacture, and function were all first rate.

Nov 03, 2012 at 01:50 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

sandycrane wrote:
I too bought the Sunway L-bracket for the NEX-7 and the design, manufacture, and function were all first rate.

I wasn't so lucky. The ad that I bought it from even said it was 39MM instead of 40. I overlooked it. The seller said it was made to Arca standard which should be 40 mm. Mine measured out at neither 39 or 40. I'm sure the dimension has since been corrected.
I also bought one of their universal lever clamps which I still have. It doesn't even have a wear washer separating the lever and the clamp. Eventually when the anodizing wears away it will be aluminum to aluminum wearing against each other.

The packaging was great though

gene

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:51 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Tom K. wrote:
...Should a Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce little piece of plastic really cost $15.00? If it does then why doesn't the cap on a can of lemon pledge cost the same....let along the can and pledge itself.

Because more cans of Lemon Pledge are sold in an hour than Sto-Fen sells in a year, probably. Economies of scale.

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:09 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

TheWengler wrote:
I'd rather just buy used

Not too many 5D Mark III L brackets on the used market just yet.

Edited on Nov 03, 2012 at 06:04 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2012 at 06:01 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Of course Sunway can have a little bit lower prices. Especially when they STEAL photo's from FM members here and use them in their advertising and on-line sites.
A company that makes products for photographer's, and don't care about copyright's !!!
I would not buy from that company................

really ? .... someone want to buy my sunway 1dx L bracket... I want to get a promediagear anyways.

Nov 03, 2012 at 06:04 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Of course Sunway can have a little bit lower prices. Especially when they STEAL photo's from FM members here and use them in their advertising and on-line sites.

Wow, that is absolutely unforgivable for a manufacturer!

Any details please? I will do a search here.

I suppose that is also where they got their designs?

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Do a search in the General Gear Forum. There was a long thread about it maybe 6 months ago. I have also been reading a similar thread in another photo forum

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:10 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Thanks Lars.

For those who are interested, here is the thread on FM, from March, 2012:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1098631/0

Through later threads, it appears that they sent him a ball head in "compensation."

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:14 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Yes he got it after making this public. With a very lame excuse. And paying for the photo would be a lot more expensive than giving him their own ballhead.
In the other thread in another forum they did exactly the same thing, but no ballhead

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Thanks for letting us know!

That is enough to keep me from ever buying from them. I don't see that they are particularly apologetic or "remorseful" about their IP theft.

I try to vote with my dollars when I get especially good (or bad) service.

Cheers!
Michael

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:29 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

To be fair to them, it seems that was done by an employee who was fired for this incident.

Nov 04, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

vsg28 wrote:
To be fair to them, it seems that was done by an employee who was fired for this incident.

This was a lame excuse from Sunway. And he was not fired. They wrote he didn't work for them today. And who could have done it if not an emploee ? The owner ?
Sunway also gave nearly exactly the same excuse a year before when they did the same thing. So it's rather obvious they just give this "excuse" every time they get caught.

Did you really expect them to admit that they "steal" photo all the time and don't care ?

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:04 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

I did not know they had done this again! There is no excuse now. That is too bad!

Nov 04, 2012 at 01:01 PM
M.P.R.
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

RRS is expensive, but I couldn't believe how good their customer service is.

After receiving a quick release clamp that was a little loose, I called them up. No grief, was a pleasure talking to them on the phone. They apologized for the loose clamp and quickly overnighted me a new one, before I even shipped the the original one back to them. Had it the next day. That is standing behind your product.

Now, all I use is RRS. Their gear is fantastic. Glad its made in the USA and I can get stuff quick if it breaks. They have won all my business.

Frank

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:56 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

geniousc wrote:
I wasn't so lucky. The ad that I bought it from even said it was 39MM instead of 40. I overlooked it. The seller said it was made to Arca standard which should be 40 mm. Mine measured out at neither 39 or 40. I'm sure the dimension has since been corrected.
I also bought one of their universal lever clamps which I still have. It doesn't even have a wear washer separating the lever and the clamp. Eventually when the anodizing wears away it will be aluminum to aluminum wearing against each other.

The packaging was great though

gene

I think this is a pretty common problem when using clamps vs thumb screws. All I know is it works great for me. And it was inexpensive.

Nov 05, 2012 at 01:41 AM
MountainTop
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Yes, RSS has top quality products, and they are tops in customer satisfaction, but they give their profits to extremely conservative causes and candidates. I prefer not to. I buy Kirk instead; I have never found their brackets anything but excellent.

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:39 AM
helimat
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

MountainTop wrote:
Yes, RSS has top quality products, and they are tops in customer satisfaction, but they give their profits to extremely conservative causes and candidates. I prefer not to. I buy Kirk instead; I have never found their brackets anything but excellent.

+1, Only I have switched to Markins instead of Kirk. RRS has great products, but I do not share the same political views as them. And before anyone freaks out, yes of course they are free to believe whatever they want, just as I am free to disagree and buy from someone else.

Nov 05, 2012 at 04:46 AM
M.P.R.
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Never heard about RRS political views, or seen anything on their website, nor do I care to.

If I worried about such things, I wouldn't be able to buy products from Canon, Nikon, Apple, Microsoft, and a list of companies so large it would make my head spin off. Hell, I wouldn't even be able to buy gas for my car.... or pay taxes! lol

But to each their own.

Nov 05, 2012 at 07:04 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

M.P.R. wrote:
Never heard about RRS political views, or seen anything on their website...

Nothing on the Web site that would lead me to shop elsewhere:

"Our Values:

We strive for product perfection in form, function and value.

We passionately appreciate beauty in all Godís creations and strive to create beauty for others to enjoy.

We believe product aesthetics are as important as function.

Innovation beats imitationóand itís more satisfying.

We believe people are inherently good. We trust our customers and make every effort to meet or exceed their expectations for superior service and product performance.

Itís our duty to help our customers understand camera support system selection and use.

We expect to make a reasonable profit.

Our Vision is what we want to be;
Our Mission is what we do;
Our Values teach us how."

The founders of the company did support California's Proposition 8, which supported a state constitution amendment to preserve the traditional definition of marriage, and they do support conservative political causes, but that's a reflection of their personal values. They're certainly less "in your face" about their beliefs on their company Web site than, for example, Paul C. Buff has been on his site.

Nov 05, 2012 at 07:22 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password