Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Just saw this at B&H. Does anyone here use it? A cheaper alternative to RRS or Kirk. Looks nice though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Sunwayphoto+canon&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Nov 02, 2012 at 04:32 PM
godfather
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Looks like a nice design. Only question I would have is how it fits on a RRS lever clamp. I had some issues a few years ago with a markins plate not locking in tight enough.

The cheapest way to keep L brackets on changing bodies is to take a grinder to them. I've used the same RRS L plate from the 20d on (30d, 40d etc) and plan to make it work on future bodies too. Otherwise you spend $150 on them and when you are ready to sell they bring ~$50.

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:13 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Should be just fine, Tom. I've been using their plates on a couple of (darkside) cameras, great fit/finish
and you won't believe how well packaged they are.

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:23 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Should be just fine, Tom. I've been using their plates on a couple of (darkside) cameras, great fit/finish
and you won't believe how well packaged they are.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice guys.

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:32 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #5 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

I have no direct experience with L plates from Sunway, but with it only a 25% savings over a Really Right Stuff L plate for the 5D3, that is not enough to tempt me. If it was 50% less I might have more interest.

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:43 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #6 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Roland W wrote:
I have no direct experience with L plates from Sunway, but with it only a 25% savings over a Really Right Stuff L plate for the 5D3, that is not enough to tempt me. If it was 50% less I might have more interest.

I started to post the same thing, but I let it go.

I believe in rewarding good quality products and good customer service when I can.

I have been very, very happy with RRS for 10 years now. Although I would be tempted to save a bit, in this case it wouldn't be worth the risk.

YMMV of course - that is my thinking, but I'm not sure what I would **actually** do if I was buying!

Cheers!
Michael

Nov 02, 2012 at 07:05 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #7 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Amazon user reviews gave this only 3 stars out of 5.

Nov 02, 2012 at 07:20 PM
jpeter
• •
p.1 #8 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

In agreement with Godfather for modification of brackets from body to body. I hacked a RRS 5D "L" to fit a 5D2 a few years back. Not pretty but it is a 100% solid mount. I used a file and a grinder. It did take 2 hours or so, but a good recycling so worth it in my opinion.

I have found some variation in fit using "off brand" plates. I bought some cheap lens plates that worked fine with my RRS clamps that are screw adjust, but the quick release needs a precise fit and needed grinding. So you might be grinding no mater what you do.

Hope you fared well in the storm Tom, I live 15 miles to the north of you and just lost power for a day.

JP

Nov 02, 2012 at 07:37 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

diverhank wrote:
Amazon user reviews gave this only 3 stars out of 5.

5 stars @ B&H...I'd trust us here or the B&H reviews over Amazon's any day of the week. Just sayin'

Nov 02, 2012 at 07:52 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #10 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

I bought a Sunway plate for my Nex 7 on ebay. Beautifully packaged etc. etc. but undersized for a RRS lever clamp. AIR is was 39mm instead of 40MM.

Nov 02, 2012 at 07:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #11 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

I use the screw post for my ball head(s). That way I do not need to worry about compatibility with plates. Only one review on B&H site, 2 on Amazon. With such a small number of reviews, they don't help me make a buying decision.

Nov 02, 2012 at 08:15 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #12 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

I have multiple SunwayFoto plates and a panning clamp which are in no way built inferior to RRS or anyone else for that matter. Also, like Will said, their packaging is tops

Nov 02, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

It just strikes me a crazy that a small piece of aluminum costs $140 which is what RRS costs. I have one for my 5D mark 2. There is nothing to it. It's highway robbery.

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:22 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #14 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

I have a sunwayfoto for my 1dx (RRS was OOS at the time).. and their packaging truly is awesome. Others can learn from their packaging...

As for as clamping to my RRS Levers and BH55.. no issues there.

Oh and a 1DX L plate from RRS is $250

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:43 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Tom K. wrote:
It just strikes me a crazy that a small piece of aluminum costs $140 which is what RRS costs. I have one for my 5D mark 2. There is nothing to it. It's highway robbery.

See what it costs to run a small business and you'll understand things like overheads, insurance costs etc...

And oh by the way, that digital image you took really does not cost anything so can you just e-mail to me

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

chez wrote:
See what it costs to run a small business and you'll understand things like overheads, insurance costs etc...

And oh by the way, that digital image you took really does not cost anything so can you just e-mail to me

Not looking for an argument. Some camera "extras" are a ripoff. Flat out. Should a Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce little piece of plastic really cost $15.00? If it does then why doesn't the cap on a can of lemon pledge cost the same....let along the can and pledge itself.

Nov 03, 2012 at 01:50 AM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #17 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

If I was to get another today it would be ProMediaGear... I really like their flash bracket dohicky

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:22 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Tom K. wrote:
Not looking for an argument. Some camera "extras" are a ripoff. Flat out. Should a Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce little piece of plastic really cost $15.00? If it does then why doesn't the cap on a can of lemon pledge cost the same....let along the can and pledge itself.

Of course Sunway can have a little bit lower prices. Especially when they STEAL photo's from FM members here and use them in their advertising and on-line sites.
A company that makes products for photographer's, and don't care about copyright's !!!
I would not buy from that company................

Nov 03, 2012 at 05:47 AM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #19 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

I'd rather just buy used

Nov 03, 2012 at 06:13 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · L bracket - off brand. Any good?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Of course Sunway can have a little bit lower prices. Especially when they STEAL photo's from FM members here and use them in their advertising and on-line sites.
A company that makes products for photographer's, and don't care about copyright's !!!
I would not buy from that company................

Wow! I didn't know that. I will not be buying from them........ever. Thank you Lars.

Nov 03, 2012 at 06:40 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password