Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

dills84
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

Alright, here's another test. These where all shot at ISO 1000, off a tripod, 3 shots where taken at each aperture and the best was chosen. Focus was on the middle dart. attached are links to the 100% crops.

The difference between wide open and 2.0 seems huge... no? This is a better example of the "haze" i had previously mentioned. see the detail on the darts fin.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Full image:

F1.4

F2.0

F2.8

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:26 PM
dills84
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

Here's one comparing my Rokinon 35mm F1.4 (right) versus the Rokinon 85mm F1.4 (left). Both at F1.4... focused on the "4" on the subject lens. Both 100% crops

Rokinon 85mm (left) - Rokinon 35mm (right) both at F1.4... distance was clsoed for the 35mm

Full size image

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:29 PM
markhout
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

dills84 wrote:
Here's one comparing my Rokinon 35mm F1.4 (right) versus the Rokinon 85mm F1.4 (left). Both at F1.4... focused on the "4" on the subject lens. Both 100% crops

Looks about right to me. The 85mm is not made for closeups. An ever so slight push of midtone contrast or clarity will probably improve the 85mm shot. But the 85mm is indeed a bit less brilliant than the 35mm. Probably due to CA or perhaps a bit more flare sensitivity. I don't see an issue in real life photography - this effect is likely what you see with more expensive brands too, like the Nikon 35mm 1.4 vs the 85mm 1.4 (although I never tried).

I'd suggest to go out and shoot with the 85mm - if you end up unhappy they are easy to unload at eBay. A Sigma 85mm 1.4 is the next stop then - I noticed that some stores were discounting this lens.

Nov 03, 2012 at 07:02 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

here's an example of mine wide open on a NEX-7, not at mfd.

whole frame:

100% crop:

crop at canon 5DII pixel density:

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:21 PM
teraflame
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

I've had this lens for a while now and the CA is bothering me. How do you process it out? The automatic setting in LR4 doesn't help much.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:45 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

teraflame wrote:
I've had this lens for a while now and the CA is bothering me. How do you process it out? The automatic setting in LR4 doesn't help much.

i set the defringe settings manually.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:28 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

85/1.4 isn't that sharp wide open. It's sharp enough
though. Lots of flare with that lens (none in ur shots) I don't see anything out of the ordinary in your shots. The 1.4 "haze" may just be lower contrast from shooting at an aperture that doesn't have as much contrast, like my 90 tamron at 16 or 22. My opinion : looking at 100% isnt the best idea. the prints should look good. 85 at 1.4 not the sharpest in general I suspect regardless of brand.

I use mine on m4/3. It's great. I use it at 1.4. If I don't need 1.4 I might use 90 macro or mc 100/2.8 zuiko. But I like this lens so i might use it anyway.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:46 AM
curious80
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

dills84 wrote:
Alright, here's another test. These where all shot at ISO 1000, off a tripod, 3 shots where taken at each aperture and the best was chosen. Focus was on the middle dart. attached are links to the 100% crops.

The difference between wide open and 2.0 seems huge... no? This is a better example of the "haze" i had previously mentioned. see the detail on the darts fin.

Opinions?

Thanks!

I think what you are describing as haze is slightly lower contrast coupled with a bit of softness. Slight adjustments of contrast/clarity/sharpness should take care of it.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:58 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

+1

The difference between 1.4, 2, and 2.8 likely not as noticeable in real world images.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:10 AM
austriker
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

So all in all would you guys recommend picking up one of these? I was thinking about the 85 instead of nikons for my d700. Sounds like the reviews on amazon like it, and other people are impressed..

My job has a reward points type system which would allow me to purchase one of the rokinon lenses

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DTOB
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

austriker wrote:
So all in all would you guys recommend picking up one of these? I was thinking about the 85 instead of nikons for my d700. Sounds like the reviews on amazon like it, and other people are impressed..

My job has a reward points type system which would allow me to purchase one of the rokinon lenses

Best $220 lens I've ever owned. Actually, it would be a great lens even at Nikkor 85/1.4 AIS prices.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:34 PM
spada
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

I definitely wouldn't complain about that tiny bit of "haze", it's just slight softness, and you pixel peepers really go to the max to show the smallest amounts of flaws. We are all using some kind of raw image converter, just increase the sharpening and contrast when using the lens wide open. I almost always use the lens at f/2.0 because it's very sharp, the bokeh seems better at f/2, and the difference in depth of field compared to f/1.4 is soooo minimal.
If this is the only problem with this lens, this is a very good thing. I would totally recommend one if you have a good focusing screen or EVF.
It's basically the best brand new lens that you can get for the price. I think I paid $190 at overstock.com years ago when they had 20% cash back off during the holidays.

This is at f/2.0, you cannot see the fine details, but it's critically sharp even at 100% on my 24mp Sony a850. No sharpness or contrast has been added to this photo. Flickr's jpg compression and resizing has degraded the image. This lens draws the out of focus and transitions beautifully, and leaves me no desire to buy the CZ 85/1.4 that Sony offers.... I know I know, I chopped off his hand

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:35 PM
dills84
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

So here's the thing... I ended up returning my Rokinon 85 1.4...

Optically this lens is outstanding, and able to compete with all the top dogs albeit slightly softer, still great.

However, this lens being an f1.4 is almost useless without autofocus... My copy had a slightly stiff focus ring, it was really hard to land focus perfectly on my 5D MK2 with the precision focus screen.

I ended up returning it and picking up the Canon 85mm f1.8 which is also a great lens with extremely fast focus.

If I where shooting static or slow moving objects, the rokinon would have stuck around. But its just simply too difficult to nail focus on a human model/portrait (what 85mm is meant for) unless you're stopped down to broaden the depth of field. I guess this would be different on a crop sensor.

Hope this helps your decision.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:52 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

dills84 wrote:
So here's the thing... I ended up returning my Rokinon 85 1.4...

Optically this lens is outstanding, and able to compete with all the top dogs albeit slightly softer, still great.

However, this lens being an f1.4 is almost useless without autofocus... My copy had a slightly stiff focus ring, it was really hard to land focus perfectly on my 5D MK2 with the precision focus screen.

I ended up returning it and picking up the Canon 85mm f1.8 which is also a great lens with extremely fast focus.

If I where shooting static or slow moving objects, the rokinon would have stuck around.
...Show more

1) Is your precision matte focusing screen perfectly calibrated?

2) How much did you practice?

3) Are you really willing to accept the dramatic difference in drawing style of the EF, simply because it has AF?

I mean no offense by any of these questions. Any lens decision is based on pros and cons, but I am just trying to determine if you have really considered all of the pros and cons in this situation.

It's subjective, of course. For me, it is all about the final image, not about how much effort it takes to achieve the desired results.

I think if you ensured the bases were covered on 1) and 2) above, you'd discover that compromise made in 3) was unnecessary.

Just my 2 cents. If you would like me to post direct comparisons of what I am talking about in 3), let me know.

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:24 PM
dills84
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

cogitech wrote:
1) Is your precision matte focusing screen perfectly calibrated?

2) How much did you practice?

3) Are you really willing to accept the dramatic difference in drawing style of the EF, simply because it has AF?

I mean no offense by any of these questions. Any lens decision is based on pros and cons, but I am just trying to determine if you have really considered all of the pros and cons in this situation.

It's subjective, of course. For me, it is all about the final image, not about how much effort it takes to achieve the desired results.

I think if you ensured
...Show more

1. My focus screen is perfect. Works great on all my other lenses.

2. I've been shooting manual focus lenses for 10 years, on film and digital. I currently use several adapted older manual focus lenses including an Olympus 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2, and 135mm f2.8 on my 5D. I also had the Rokinon 35mm F1.4 which was AMAZING, albiet quite a bit more expencive than the 85mm.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by "drawing style" but I consider the Canon 85mm a wonderful lens. Wide open its slightly softer than the Rok 85 at F1.8, but the USM is fast and speedy. The auto aperture allows you to frame your subjects brightly in the viewfinder without the aperture blades in the way. And the bokeh is good enough for any professional application. The only aspects of the Rokinon I miss is having F1.4, and the better build quality (the canon feels hollow and more plasticy), The bokeh was more pleasing but both have great character.

What it came down to for me... was how many "Keepers" I was getting from a single session... and with the Rokinon I was habitually missing focus regardless of how hard I tried... even if I used the LCD, 85mm @ F1.4 is just too hard to retain focus reliably and manually while retaining razor sharp images. This greatly depends on your subjects. Like I said before, if you shoot very static subjects its a great lens. If you move fast/have fast moving subjects... go for the AF. Or be prepared to delete half of your CF card in post process.

I take no offence, I pondered the very same questions as you. I expect a lot from my gear regardless of price.

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:32 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

Interesting. It seems you chose the EF for the shots you cannot get with the Rokinon, and I chose the Rokinon for the shots I cannot get with the EF. The difference is the criteria used to determine just what those shots in question are.

For me, it is impossible to take shots with the EF that I do with the Rokinon. It isn't a matter of any variables. It is simply impossible, because the EF cannot render the images that I envision. What I see, is not what I get.

For your consideration (you may need to scroll across for the EF);

You mentioned bokeh. That is a big part of it for me. I simply cannot accept the EF rendering. I shoot weddings with the Rokinon. If I had used the EF, I would have "missed" hundreds of excellent shots because whether they are in focus or not, the results are just not right for me or my customers.

By no means do I intend to infer that this should be an obvious or universal choice.

By the way, I have some crops of these shots which show how the Rokinon easily keeps up with the SSC Aspherical regarding sharpness, as well (which is more related to your original question).

Edited on Dec 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:49 AM
dills84
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

Matter of opinion I guess. Enjoy your rokinon. Why do you own all 3 if you like the Rok so much?

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:53 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

dills84 wrote:
Matter of opinion I guess. Enjoy your rokinon. Why do you own all 3 if you like the Rok so much?

I don't.

I sold the EF and the FD Aspherical after this test. That must have been 2 or 3 years ago now...

(Forgot to mention the test shots were taken with a 5D)

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:59 AM
robertro

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

Just a data point - I tested the Rokinon 85/1.4 against my Zeiss 85/1.4 wide open on M4/3 and NEX bodies.

No contest - the Rokinon was noticeably sharper at 1.4, 2, and 2.8.

I sold the Zeiss.

If you can manage manual focus, the Rokinon is an incredible bargain.

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:16 PM
ewadler
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Rokinon 85mm F1.4 wide open shots?

What a pain. I just received an FD 85mm f1.2, and have an Ed Mika adapter on the way. I had my Rokinon out to take pictures of it to put on the B&S board. I decided to mount it on my 5DII just to make sure I was feeling the 85mm focal length. Well, it turned out that I just fell in love with it (the 85m FL, and the Rokninon). I had tried it out for a while when I got it, and I coudn't get a picture out of it that I liked. But, now I am thinking I made a mistake in buying the the FD.

What would you guys do? Sell the FD as is? Adapt it, and test for which I like better, and sell the other (This seems to make sense, but may still be unnecessary the Rokinon is excellent)?

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password