Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

If you ask people who own 5DIII you may get a very different answer than folks who just go by the specs and do not actually own it. Check out the nature and wildlife forum to get a different perspective.

My 0.02, it is the best "all in one" camera you can have in canon land. In the same day you can do wildlife, landscape & portraits while on vacation and this camera excels at all three.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:07 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

claymiller wrote:
... I have not considered the 60D...

No, he said 6D, which is a new full-frame camera.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:16 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

Befor I would purchase a 5D III I will wait what 6D will really do. But I own already a 5D II.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:28 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

big country wrote:
if you are a pro, the dual memory card slots are an essential in my opinion.

Has not been the last decade (for me), big country. Its a nice feature but not essential.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:31 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

Ralph Conway wrote:
Has not been the last decade (for me), big country. Its a nice feature but not essential.

It's not essential until it is. Flash cards fail. Having dual-cards is the difference between a minor nuisance and a major tragedy, particularly if you're a wedding shooter.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:38 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

claymiller wrote:
Great questions. I am an amateur. I shoot birds, sailing, family, some architecture and nature shots. We are starting to do some traveling and I love shooting different stuff. I have gotten to the point with my 7D that I can come up with some pretty good shots but it has taken a lot of experimenting. I have not considered the 60D. I had a 40D and traded for the 7D. I like to use the outer focusing areas to frame shots and create blur in other areas of the frame.The 1D series seems really large and awkward but
...Show more

Keep the 7D for birds and nature, for the extra reach.

For the rest, you don't need the extra goodness of the 5D3. You could do very nicely with a 5D2 for sailing, architecture, and nature (landscape & macro), but even that is not necessary. The 6D (not 60D) would be a good camera for you to consider, since it is full-frame, but not fancy.

In your situation, I'd buy a greater range of focal lengths & macro for coverage / capability and a good flash with an off-camera cord for family photos.

If you really like architecture, consider spending the money on a 24 mm TSE Mark II, or 17mm TSE. They are very sharp and capable. But you can also do a lot with software correction of perspective and/or stitching.

I went the route of getting a really good tripod and really good big ballhead, which you want anyway, and a really good multi-row panorama rig, and recently a Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 zoom (for full-frame).

So, in your situation, I'd skip the $3500 on full-frame and get the $1200 tripod + ballhead, and a $1000 Canon 10-22mm zoom (sharp, great lens, perfect for crop factor, I have one). That would leave about $1300 for things like flash and pano rigs. Do you have Photoshop CS 6 / Lightroom? You can spend on that. If you stretch the $1300 you could get a 6D full-frame, in which case substitute the Tokina 16-28 for the 10-22. The Tokina has less distortion than the 16-35 Mark II, the Nikon 14-24, and the Zeiss 21, and it is almost as sharp corner to corner as they are, at less than half the price of any of the three. Great for architecture.

Nov 02, 2012 at 04:24 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

claymiller wrote:
I currently have a 7D with 24-70L, 100 IS L, 135 2.0L, 200 2.8L, 400 5.6L and want to add a full frame body. Is the MarkIII worth the extra $1200 over the MarkII. I could pick up a nice wide angle lens for the difference. Your input is much appreciated. Thanks.

My answer...Yes it is worth every penny. It is the best canon body I have used, period.

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:16 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

For me it would be worth $ 1200 extra

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:58 AM
shutter_bug

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

Looking at your lens line-up and your style of shooting, I'll spend the money on an ultra wide or a wide tilt shift lens over a body first. Even thought I do own a 5DIII myself. Unless you intent to use lots of outer focus points.

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:20 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

To me it isn't. But I don't shoot BIF and sports with it. For everything else the 5D2 works if I stick to the center AF point (which I do 90% of the time). The 5D3 would be a lot more interesting for me if it had more MP's than the 5D2 for my commercial work.

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:03 AM
claymiller

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

Well, thanks to all that have helped me make the decision to order a 5D MarkIII. I will pick it up on Tuesday and am currently suffering from buyers remorse. No worries, I will get over it! I have the 580 flash and a couple of tripods, most recently a Benro A0180T. Portable and convenient. It does struggle when I have the 580 attached and tilted sideways. Perfect for my back pack. Next up is a wide angle but that will have to wait until 2013. Luckily, that is not too far away! Will I have a lot to learn on the 5D III? Hopefully alot of similarity to the 7D. Cheers!

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:21 AM
Jason Stein

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

claymiller wrote:
Well, thanks to all that have helped me make the decision to order a 5D MarkIII. I will pick it up on Tuesday and am currently suffering from buyers remorse. No worries, I will get over it! I have the 580 flash and a couple of tripods, most recently a Benro A0180T. Portable and convenient. It does struggle when I have the 580 attached and tilted sideways. Perfect for my back pack. Next up is a wide angle but that will have to wait until 2013. Luckily, that is not too far away! Will I have a lot to learn
...Show more

The buyer's remorse will subside when you see the IQ and test the autofocus. Out-of-the box, it took just a few minutes to change all the major settings to my liking. Good luck and enjoy! -Jason

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:47 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

claymiller wrote:
I currently have a 7D with 24-70L, 100 IS L, 135 2.0L, 200 2.8L, 400 5.6L and want to add a full frame body. Is the MarkIII worth the extra $1200 over the MarkII. I could pick up a nice wide angle lens for the difference. Your input is much appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe and maybe not.

If your shooting involves a lot of fast moving subjects and the need for better AF performance, for example, the 5D3 could well be worth the cost. If your shooting is more geared towards, say, tripod-based landscape photography, the 5D2 will produce photographs of excellent quality (indistinguishable from the 5D3) at a much lower cost.

They are both fine cameras, and both will provide what you need to make photographs of excellent technical quality.

I own a 5D2 and was watching the announcements for news of the 5D3, considering whether or not it would be an upgrade that I would have invested in. I decided to save my money and I happily continue to use the 5D2.

Dan

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

Whether something is "worth it" is a personal computation. I made mine and concluded that the 5D Mark III was much better for my needs than the Mark II. I shoot landscape (with and without tripod), street, architecture, portraits etc.

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:02 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

claymiller wrote:

"Worth it" is a function of how much money you have and how much you need/want the added abilities of the 5d3 over the 5d2.

I had the 5d2/7d combination, and it's a good one.

When the 5d3 came out, I traded in my 5d2 for a 5d3. I've never for a second regretted that decision.

It was/is "worth it" to me.

YMMV

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:07 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

gdanmitchell wrote:
Maybe and maybe not.

If your shooting involves a lot of fast moving subjects and the need for better AF performance, for example, the 5D3 could well be worth the cost. If your shooting is more geared towards, say, tripod-based landscape photography, the 5D2 will produce photographs of excellent quality (indistinguishable from the 5D3) at a much lower cost.

They are both fine cameras, and both will provide what you need to make photographs of excellent technical quality.

I own a 5D2 and was watching the announcements for news of the 5D3, considering whether or not it would be an upgrade that
...Show more

+1, I sold 5D2 & 1Ds2 with anticipation of 5D3 released...i then got 5D2 and 1Ds2 back in weeks after 5D3 hit the shell. 5D3 does not help me anything better than 5D2 and 1Ds2.

I would say 5D3 if you needed only one camera for all around cam.

Nov 03, 2012 at 01:46 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

Daan B wrote:
To me it isn't. But I don't shoot BIF and sports with it. For everything else the 5D2 works if I stick to the center AF point (which I do 90% of the time). The 5D3 would be a lot more interesting for me if it had more MP's than the 5D2 for my commercial work.

Exactly.

Nov 03, 2012 at 08:27 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

I shoot mostly landscapes and I continue to remain very satisfied with the 5D2. Focus speed is mostly a nonissue to me as I focus by hand/DOF most of the time. Will not buy a 5D3 until they drop in price.

Nov 05, 2012 at 04:22 PM
claymiller

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

$2804 at www.eastcoasttvs.com, the price for the Mark II is 1799. The Mark III is a better value to me than the Mark II bacause the Mark III has the same focusing system as the 1DX. I will let you know how I like my first full frame Canon!

Nov 05, 2012 at 08:42 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

Not a Canon authorized dealer though.

Nov 05, 2012 at 10:16 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.