Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Recent bridal portrait - probably my best yet

Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recent bridal portrait - probably my best yet

Hey all,

I don't post my images here much at all, mostly b/c I'm not quite to the level of most of the posters here, and I'm perfectly content to watch, read and learn from many of you.

That said, I'm very proud of the set I shot last weekend, and wanted to share some of my favorites with you all. C&C is always appreciated, but I mostly just wanted to share the first set of bridals I've shot that I think meet the FM wedding forum standard.

Enjoy!

Thanks for looking!

Nov 01, 2012 at 05:55 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recent bridal portrait - probably my best yet

a little c&c ... mmmm.

#1 ... very nice. good moment captured - nice exposure.
Two.... good idea to incorporate the barn - getting close to right time of day.
improve: the bride is getting lost. would like to see the sun a little lower and maybe pop an OCF to bring some attention to our girl.
3) Good ... right time of day.
improve.... we can not see her profile because of the hair piece... All of the horizontal lines are hurting the viewer, not sure where to look.
i would turn our girls shoulder at least 45 degree to bring out curves and help her posture.

Four: love the lines in this one. cool shadows too.
improve: just not liking the pose. All i can think is Christmas tree.

#5: love the composition. her and the tree with the same lean. cool.
improve: the photos suggest she is equal to a dead tree. everything else is green except the one tree.

#6 is nice ... lighting looks flat.

7) good: nice exposure and good that you are shooting down.
chairs are cool.
improve ... not digging the focal length/room and pose. she looks like she is not liking the situation.

Hope this helps ... just my 2 cents worth.

please do something with the watermark. look 80's. make it way more transparent.

Later ... Mark

Nov 01, 2012 at 07:15 PM
cannpope
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recent bridal portrait - probably my best yet

#1 is gorgeous!! Great set James!

Nov 01, 2012 at 07:19 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recent bridal portrait - probably my best yet

Ziffl3 wrote:
a little c&c ... mmmm.

#1 ... very nice. good moment captured - nice exposure.
Two.... good idea to incorporate the barn - getting close to right time of day.
improve: the bride is getting lost. would like to see the sun a little lower and maybe pop an OCF to bring some attention to our girl.
3) Good ... right time of day.
improve.... we can not see her profile because of the hair piece... All of the horizontal lines are hurting the viewer, not sure where to look.
i would turn our girls shoulder at least 45 degree to bring
...Show more

Mark!

Thanks so much for the thoughtful C&C man. I really appreciate it. Several of your points are concerns I noticed as well during post. (particularly #1, #3 and #6)

And the watermark is a work in progress. It's part of my logo, but I don't want a bunch of text on my posted images. I'll look at the transparency idea.

BTW, if "Big D" in your location means Dallas, I'd love to hear about the photog scene there. My wife and I are moving there as we speak, North Dallas area around the corner of the tollway and George Bush. I'm dying to get plugged in to the photog community / club / photowalks/ etc. Please drop me a line at james (at) captured-photos.com if you find some time.

Nov 01, 2012 at 08:02 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recent bridal portrait - probably my best yet

cannpope wrote:
#1 is gorgeous!! Great set James!

Thanks so much, Carol! That one was the bride's favorite close-up.

Nov 01, 2012 at 08:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recent bridal portrait - probably my best yet

very nice!

one note: branding without text can only 10 companies on the world afford :-), you are just damaging your photos without giving any way to find you back or know who shot it except few your clients. Besides that logo looks amateurish while your photos dont

Nov 01, 2012 at 11:39 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recent bridal portrait - probably my best yet

1. Is a great shot (my fav), but I think you pulled too much out of the shadows & blacks.
2. Good. A little on the warm side makes her get lost. Maybe WB brush her to pop her out.
3. Okay. Pose is kind of bland.
4. Comp needs some TLC.
5. I really didn't like this one at all. The lean just seems weird.
6. I like this one. Cropped a bit tight IMO.
7. I like this, but a lower perspective may have worked a little better.

Simplify the watermark. Text is your friend.

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:40 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recent bridal portrait - probably my best yet

Nice work, 1 works well

The bride gets a bit lost in 2 because the barn/bride are all so bright, maybe do some dodge/burning to draw out the subject

I like the lines in 4, but the pose makes her look 'heavy' to me, perhaps because we're looking squarely at her back. Also it helps to have a gap between the arms and the body cos otherwise the arms add to the width.

Nov 02, 2012 at 02:55 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recent bridal portrait - probably my best yet

I especially like the first one

Nov 02, 2012 at 08:04 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recent bridal portrait - probably my best yet

Posing is your next big area for improvement. In 3 and 4, she looks larger than she needs to. In both instances, her butt is closer to the camera than is her head. A good general rule to help posing is whatever is closest to the lens looks largest. This is why you usually want a girl's weight on her back leg (farthest from the camera), which in turn means you usually don't want her square to the camera, but at an angle.

If you have her put her weight on her back foot, then the front leg will usually bend at the knee, which will also tend to help create a nice "S" curve, a good feminine look.

Re: the watermark, ask yourself what the point of a watermark is. Why include it? Mainly, it's to provide breadcrumbs to viewers who don't know you so they can find you. Your name, or your company name, are very useful. A design element is a lot less important, unless it is very widely known.

Nov 02, 2012 at 08:27 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password