Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Got my grandfather's old Nikon F, looking for some inform...

jim allison
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Got my grandfather's old Nikon F, looking for some information on it

If my memory serves me Nikon USA is wrong! I used this camera when it first came out. I was one of the first Nikon Tech reps. We were told that the serial number indicated the age of the camera. Nikon USA did not exist in 1968.The company that distributed Nikon was Ehrenreich Photo Optical Industries which was started by Joseph Ehrenreich, one of the most important people in the success of Japanese products in the US. He also imported Mamiya, Fuji, Durst,Sinar and Sony Supersope.
Joe would roll over in his grave if he knew how the present management of Nikon USA had damaged Nikon's reputation with poor quality control and even worse customer service. Canon wasn't even much of a factor in those days. The competition was Pentax and Minolta. We all loved the product and Joseph Ehrenreich. He was very good to the employees. The company was like a big family.

Dec 08, 2012 at 02:41 AM
Jay968

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Got my grandfather's old Nikon F, looking for some information on it

Yes, while I am not sure Nikon USA is "wrong" or not, or if they just do not want this information known these days (since they no longer use this practice), or maybe even if they themselves don't even know, I AM sure that Nikons from the 60s and 70s most certainly did have their serial numbers start with the first two digits of the year of manufacture. During the 80s I had an F2AS that I had the top plate replaced by Nikon. The new plate had a new serial number on it and I even spoke with the service rep about the new number and he and I discussed their practice of using the year as the first two digits of the serial numbers. Hr told me that since it was a new top plate, he could not do anything about its number and it was what it was.
Also...good comments on Ehrenreich....good company indeed. Those were the days.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:20 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password