Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

n0b0
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

How much of it is really Canon and how much of it is the retailer using it as an excuse to raise their price and shifting the blame to Canon?

This is what I could find on MAP

What is an Internet Minimum Advertising Price Policy? A MAP or an IMAP, as they are commonly called on the internet, is a contractual arrangement that requires a retailer to display a minimum advertised price despite the actual selling price. So, in short, this is a control on the advertised price, but not on the actual price of the product.

http://www.traverselegal.com/internet-law/tag/internet-minimum-advertised-price-policy/

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but even if the advertised priced is, eg. $3300, it doesn't mean the actual price is $3300. That means you can still contact the retailer and negotiate the real price right?

Nov 01, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Gyrine
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

They won't get a dime of my money until they get reasonable again. I'll continue to use my current equipment until then.

Nov 01, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

jorkata wrote:
Hmm. I guess you've missed Canon's last quarterly results.
DSLR sales were down for the quarter as compared to 2011 (with overall company profit down 42.2%).

And Canon feels that now is the time to enforce the MALs.
That would surely stop the bleeding. Right.

I misdescribed my thought, sorry. You are right. Sales went down. I did not miss the quarterly results. But I am still waiting for those of the competitors. I am pretty sure their results are equal. Imo this is more the result of the general world wide economics. And photography gear, we are talking about is pure high end luxorius. Nobody (really) needs new gear. Some might do a better job. But most just feel better, owning the newest stuff. Those stop to spend their money easily. At least they realised that they can buy a great used car for the price of a modern mid class camera.

The map offers an advantadge: Beeing advertised less "cheap" the fast customers get the fealing this gear has an higher value. And "good" dealers might be able to earn same money in selling less. The result would be that they would promote this gear even more as long as the ballance is not pulled over (imo). If you keep the price of your midrange equipment stable, it supports making even more money with your entry level stuff (6D is comming soon). If Nikon dealers would be sure, stuff is successful sold by features, they would not have had to reduce D600 price about 15% from first sales day (here in germany), to grow the price difference to D800 synthetical. Imo Canon is just trying to hinder this.

Ralph

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Wahoowa wrote:
No, Nikon and Sony have done it for years.

One term that many misused it though is that Canon doesn't "raise" or "increase" their prices. We have been spoiled with how retailers sold Canon products way below MSRP.

Well, Pentax is going the other way. Personally, I always coveted the yellow K-01 with the 40/2.8 so maybe now's the time? Go Pentax Go!

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nov 02, 2012 at 03:10 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

n0b0 wrote:
How much of it is really Canon and how much of it is the retailer using it as an excuse to raise their price and shifting the blame to Canon?

This is what I could find on MAP

http://www.traverselegal.com/internet-law/tag/internet-minimum-advertised-price-policy/

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but even if the advertised priced is, eg. $3300, it doesn't mean the actual price is $3300. That means you can still contact the retailer and negotiate the real price right?

Yes you can still buy it for $ 2800 or @ 3000 if the seller like that

Nov 02, 2012 at 03:52 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

MAP sets the lowest advertized price and how a retailer can tell you what the real selling price is. Nikon USA, Sony USA, Pentax USA have established unilateral prices which set the lowest selling price.

Regarding Canon prices -- MAP doesn't limit the selling price but it may limit how (or even if) we can show the selling price. Phone us (800.606.6969 / 212.444.6615) or email [email protected]. We may be able to accommodate you.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 02, 2012 at 09:38 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Thank God it's still illegal to practice Resale Price Maintenance in Australia.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/876613

"The practice of resale price maintenance on advertised prices damages consumers because it prevents competition on prices," Acting ACCC Chairman, Mr Peter Kell, said. "Wholesalers must understand that they cannot constrain the freedom of retailers to advertise and sell their products at prices determined by the retailers."

Not that it matters since we're still getting shafted with every imported goods. For some reason, our currency strength have little to no effect on its buying power. lol

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:44 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

The "add to cart" thing doesn't work - still shows the MAP price. As henry is stating, you have to actually call to get anything better.

It's just more useless and silly crap from a corporation that can't seem to get out of its own way.

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:50 AM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

henryp wrote:
MAP sets the lowest advertized price and how a retailer can tell you what the real selling price is.

Henry,

Under the new Canon guidelines, will you still be able to use the "Please add to cart to see price" method to offer a lower price online?

Thanks!
Michael

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:52 AM
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

henryp wrote:
MAP sets the lowest advertized price and how a retailer can tell you what the real selling price is. Nikon USA, Sony USA, Pentax USA have established unilateral prices which set the lowest selling price.

Regarding Canon prices -- MAP doesn't limit the selling price but it may limit how (or even if) we can show the selling price. Phone us (800.606.6969 / 212.444.6615) or email [email protected]. We may be able to accommodate you.

That's all nice and dandy (phoning in). But it defeats the purpose of on-line shopping. Today (or more precisely, last month), users, anywhere in the world, are able to browse to your web site, and check price they would pay. Unless you intend to prominently display "call for price", you are going to lose potential customers. Not everyone reads forums like this one.

Second issue are web sites that collect prices over web for comparative purposes. They will not show prices that reflect reality either. Of course, someone can say, it's better that way. But users got accustomed to such services before they spend money.

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:58 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

753951 wrote:
Second issue are web sites that collect prices over web for comparative purposes. They will not show prices that reflect reality either. Of course, someone can say, it's better that way. But users got accustomed to such services before they spend money.

Yeap, I use website like ShopBot and StaticIce all the time, especially for computer parts. I'd be pissed if I can't get an accurate pricing and having to contact individual retailer for the actual selling price. It's like this MAP thing is designed to slow down internet retail business.

Once again I thank God it's still illegal in Australia.

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:08 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

I'm supporting the used sales market
Probably some time after the 1st of the year, I will get a new/not so old MkIII

Dan

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:52 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

n0b0 wrote:
That means you can still contact the retailer and negotiate the real price right?

Quite right but this presumes the shopper knows the price the retailer is forced to display is the MAP price and not the lower selling price.

Yakim Peled wrote:
Well, Pentax is going the other way. Personally, I always coveted the yellow K-01 with the 40/2.8 so maybe now's the time? Go Pentax Go!

OTOH Pentax USA has embraced unilateral pricing which sets the lowest selling price, not the lowest advertized price.
http://nedbunnell.posterous.com/lens-prices-and-our-channel-strategy-in-the-u

mmurph wrote:
Under the new Canon guidelines, will you still be able to use the "Please add to cart to see price" method to offer a lower price online?

I believe not. I believe our buyers and brand manager are struggling with Canon USA in an effort to make their policies more friendly to the end-user. I am not confident of success.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:05 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

henryp wrote:
I believe our buyers and brand manager are struggling with Canon USA in an effort to make their policies more friendly to the end-user. I am not confident of success.

Thanks, Henry.

The way I'm reading this, Canon's MAP is actually the lowest selling price ... disguised as a MAP.
This way, only Canon controls discounts and rebates (and eBay deals?).

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:31 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

jorkata wrote:
The way I'm reading this, Canon's MAP is actually the lowest selling price ... disguised as a MAP.This way, only Canon controls discounts and rebates.

NO! The MAP is the lowest price we can advertize. Phone or email for the selling price, as I said earlier.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:34 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Frys Electronics kind of gets around it in their ads by showing the advertised price and then showing pictures of the in-store discount. They show a 5DIII advertised for $3299, but then show 4 - $100 bills usually representing the in-store discount, which would total of $2899, plus tax. I will verify if this still holds true the next time I'm in the store.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:53 PM
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Taking out of context what n0b0 wrote:
Once again I thank God it's still illegal in Australia.

For a moment I've read your sentence as "Once again I thank God is still illegal in Australia"

Nov 02, 2012 at 02:02 PM
12monkeys
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

I'm curious, Henry. Let's say the new Sigma 35mm 1.4 lens is released at $1,000 and you have to advertise the 5DIII at $3,500. Will you then be able to advertise the pair at $4,000, for example?

Nov 02, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

curious80 wrote:
Setting a MAP is not price fixing. If it is anything like other MAP schemes, the retailers can still sell it for less than MAP. They just cannot list the price of the item as below MAP. Instead they have to say that the price is MAP, but we are offering you a discount.

The other strategies I have seen is selling the camera with a lens /and/or with other accessories (memory, extra batteries, camera bag, etc) and giving a big discount on the combination. This gets around the MAP limitations.
Mike K

Nov 02, 2012 at 02:10 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.