Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Rickuz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

So it would seem that Canon is stomping down on dealers offering lower prices. B&H has already responded with raising the price of the 5D mark III back up to over 3k, including the $200 rebate.

"Canon is starting the enforcement of their MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) pricing rules today. Some camera bodies and lenses will see an immediate increase in their base price."

Source: http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/canons-map-pricing-goes-into-full-effect-today/

Nov 01, 2012 at 08:36 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Let's hope it loosens up soon.

Nov 01, 2012 at 08:41 AM
sailingpilot
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Noticed the price increase at B&H this morning. A $400 difference.

It's OK Canon - I'm very patient - I'll wait...

Nov 01, 2012 at 08:44 AM
gse53
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Why should they care if they are moving product? I do not understand how this works. Don't they get their wholesale price no matter what the retail is? Sony does the same thing with Playstations.

Nov 01, 2012 at 08:52 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

It does seem a very counterproductive program, although it probably enables smaller and local retailers to be more competitive.

Blame Ted Olsen: http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=15925807009998997000&q=leegin+creative&hl=en&as_sdt=2,33

Nov 01, 2012 at 09:09 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

I think we have been spoiled in the past. I was thinking that 6D would go as low as $1,700 by next summer. Now, let's see how it goes from here.

Nov 01, 2012 at 09:26 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Imo its just on paper. It is MAP: minimum ADVERTISED price.

It does not have anything to do with your dealers "privat" offered sales price, imo.
It only prevents them (dealers) from loosing sales by advertised low online offers.

Ralph

Nov 01, 2012 at 09:37 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Wahoowa wrote:
I think we have been spoiled in the past. I was thinking that 6D would go as low as $1,700 by next summer. Now, let's see how it goes from here.

I am pretty sure it will be around 1700 € here in germany next summer (instead of 1999€). Nikons D600 here is a competitor. And its price was put down about 250€ here in germany from first day, sales started one day after 6D was announce).

Nov 01, 2012 at 09:40 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

I bought the 5D3 right away when it was $3500. I need a 2nd one. I won't be buying another for more than $2900 and preferably $2800. I'm also patient.

Nov 01, 2012 at 09:49 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Ralph Conway wrote:

It does not have anything to do with your dealers "privat" offered sales price, imo.
It only prevents them (dealers) from loosing sales by advertised low online offers.

Ralph

I believe it will, but that still depends though. It will depend on how Canon thinks they stand in photography business. Will they dare to cut big accounts like Adorama or B&H if they advertise below MAP?

Golf business has been this way for years. Retailers cannot even allow coupons to apply to their products. I know one famous golf pro shop that usually sells their stuffs at a really really low price. If you play golf (in the US) and you visit golf forums regularly, you might have heard of "Discount Dan". They never advertise their prices, but it's been well known to many that they sell way below MAP. Last time I called, their Ping account was cut for a year. That's why, if you're in golfing market, you'll see that most retailers won't risk advertising their prices below the minimum as required.

Regarding the laws, I think there is always a loop hole both ways. Retailers can just advertise it as 'price too low to advertise' or they can list it on eBay. On the other hand, manufacturers can cut the retailers' account by saying the marketing strategy in the area has changed.

Now, back to photography. If, say, Adorama makes another spot sale on eBay for 5D Mark III for $2,750, we'll have to see how it pans out. Canon might not want to risk cutting big account like Adorama. But, who knows? B&H may put some pressure on Canon as well.

One thing for sure. I don't think anyone who wants Canon gear will find something cheap in the next few weeks from an authorized dealer.

Nov 01, 2012 at 09:51 AM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Lets see Canon's sales are down so they raise prices.....humm.

Nov 01, 2012 at 10:13 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

I think that a lot of people will wait... There will be sales... Prices will come down...

Dan

Nov 01, 2012 at 10:33 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

I can wait too. I'm perfectly happy with my 5Dc and 7D even though I was seriously considering getting a 5DIII soon. Canon made the decision for me and I'm cool with it.

Nov 01, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Well it is a bit disappointing that they are trying to increase prices instead of lowering them, but yeah, waiting is not a big problem.

Tbh, I'm waiting for the 5D4.

Nov 01, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

The 5D3 is still $2,994.99 at Amazon.

Nov 01, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Theres always Canons Loyalty program, or did those go up as well? The way the economy is I'm sort of surprised, or did Canon think everyone is independently wealthy ?

Nov 01, 2012 at 11:34 AM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

I was just getting ready to order two L lens from B&H. I guess I will just sit on the sidelines for awhile. Or, I will look for a deal on the used equipment. I am patient and not in a hurry. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Will sales decrease for canon? For B&H? etc. I may just rent a lens when needed. Maybe the difference is that this is a hobby for me, so the purchase is not a necessity. Also, it may further backfire on them as I may just decide I don't really want those two lens. I guess it was a bit of impulse that I was going to buy the lens. Maybe I should thank Canon for saving me money.

Cheers, Steve

Nov 01, 2012 at 12:07 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Ralph Conway wrote:

Ralph

That has been my experience with other items whose brands used a MAP system. Either the vendor had a different (lower) price when the item was added to the cart online or I was given a lower price when I called. It makes for a bit more work for me as a consumer to search out the lowest price from a reliable vendor. I had planned to purchase a couple 600rt flashes and the controller but prices went up so I'll wait. I expect there will be sales around the holidays. If not then Canon might find a big chunk of coal in their stocking this year. lol

Nov 01, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Bsmooth wrote:
Theres always Canons Loyalty program, or did those go up as well? The way the economy is I'm sort of surprised, or did Canon think everyone is independently wealthy ?

I think that works differently as the Canon Loyalty Program supplies refurbished products.

Nov 01, 2012 at 12:19 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

I think the folks at Canon have completely lost their minds. Talk about counterproductive - sales are down, let's raise prices!

That's okay - I can wait. Santa is coming soon...they'll be desperate to sell stuff then, just like last year.

Nov 01, 2012 at 12:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.