Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cakes and Desserts?

Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cakes and Desserts?

I'm taking some pictures of some cakes and desserts for a fundraising auction that is going to take place on facebook.

I've got 3 SB lights and 2 AB800's. I have looked at some setups on flickr and have a few ideas, but was wondering if you guys had any suggestions or personal experiences with this?

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:24 PM
Jon Uhler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cakes and Desserts?

Food looks better back lit. So I use one light, large modifier, and then use foam core v-flats to bounce light back into the front of the items.

Something like this:

_MG_9080 by battlefloydflyer, on Flickr

Nov 01, 2012 at 04:14 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cakes and Desserts?

So that the cakes don't come out looking dull and dry, use some hard lights for key and accents to show texture, and soft light for fill.

As Jon Uhler said, some back light to bring out the specularity will make it pop.

If you have time, there's a book called Food Styling For Photographers [Focal Press] that I highly recommend.

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Styling-Photographers-Creating-Appetizing/dp/0240810066

Nov 01, 2012 at 09:14 PM
tcphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cakes and Desserts?

I specialize in shooting food and utilize natural light as much as possible. It's not like you need to use high shutter speeds and flash. I'd head to a bookstore and look at food magazines like Donna Hay, Martha Stewart' publications and Bon Appetite to name a few.

Nov 01, 2012 at 09:57 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password