New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tommy Cheung

SEJohnson83
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tommy Cheung

Here is a portrait session I did with a friend of mine on the Princeton University Campus... I'm still trying to find my 'style'. I'm going for a clean, bright (as I'm sure you can tell) approach showcasing not only the model but little things in the environment in which I'm capturing them in... hope that makes sense

These were all shot with the D700 w/ 50 1.8G mainly wide open. Exposure comp between 0.3-1.0

All/Any C&C is appreciated.

© SE Johnson Photography 2012

1-2

3-4

5-6

7-8

Edited on Nov 01, 2012 at 01:29 AM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:20 AM
SEJohnson83
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tommy Cheung

... ...

9-10

11-12

Edited on Nov 01, 2012 at 01:29 AM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:22 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tommy Cheung

Numbering the shots helps a lot, especially with pairs of pics. If I commented on #3, which one would I mean?

1st shot - shouldn't that cigar be sharply in focus along with the eyes?

Last shot. I like it. He might need a bit more room in the direction he's looking.

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:26 AM
SEJohnson83
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tommy Cheung

Hey Jim, thanks for the comment! It's been awhile since I posted for critique - numbers have been added underneath each diptych.

As far as the cigar in #1 goes, I can agree with the cigar being in focus with the eyes, I may have another sample at a smaller aperture. I also agree with you on shot #8, I did crop it a tad too tight!

Thanks again!

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:32 AM
Velu01
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tommy Cheung

Bright, but I like bright !

I am fine with the cigar not being in focus. Using f4, for example, would extend the dof, and would put the hand in focus as well. With less "depth" as a result ( sounds crazy, hah ? Extending the depth of field, resulting in less depth)

Rgds
Velu

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:56 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tommy Cheung

I like the style and approach, but I don't get the fascination with the cigar (five images). Is that such an important thing to this subject?

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:20 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tommy Cheung

I like these plain and simple, plus elegant. btw, please share the cigar brand! xD

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:33 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tommy Cheung

#7 seems as if his leg is unnaturally apart in my opinion?

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:35 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tommy Cheung

Very nice, I like them all. You did great in expressing him and the environment together

I like the cigar, it adds to his personality and style, yet it is not over emphasized

well done and clean, I would loosen the crop a bit by say 15% to add a bit more env. elements into it

Phil

Nov 01, 2012 at 11:00 AM
SEJohnson83
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tommy Cheung

@ Steve, thanks for the comment! Not so much as a fascination with the cigar but thought it complimented the outfit and environment. Plus I told him he could just ditch it (I mainly just wanted to get the shot in #1 w/ smoke and be done with it) but he wanted to keep smoking it, so I worked with it.

@ Rodriguez, thanks as well! and as far as brand, I couldn't tell you. I only had 5$ in my pocket and bought the cheapest they had, haha... #7 may look a bit unnatural, but I thought it worked. I feel like any closer and it would have looked less relaxed and more forcefully posed.

@jojomon, thank you! I agree on the cigar complimenting the personality and style - that was my intent!
And I definitely agree with you on the cropping... that's something I'm still working on, I'm an aggressive cropper

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:32 PM
RoadconePhoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tommy Cheung

i see what you're trying to accomplish but i feeel you should pull back a bit on the exposure they honestly just look a little blown out to me, you'd retain more detail in your high key areas and can push them in post to get what you're after.

Nov 01, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tommy Cheung

I feel the dirty, scuffed, worn out shoes blow an otherwise classy shoot. I really wouldn't draw attention to them at all in this set.

Nov 01, 2012 at 06:23 PM
parokhodov
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tommy Cheung

good sharpness and light for wide open aperture)
I like it

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:30 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tommy Cheung

That's not Tommy Chong!

Oh, wait ... never mind.

Nov 04, 2012 at 02:02 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.