Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 2012 MLS: Sporting KC vs PHI Union

AChilders

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2012 MLS: Sporting KC vs PHI Union

Hey all. Just wanted to share a few shots from the Sporting Kansas City clash against the Philadelphia Union last week in Kansas City. This was my first MLS game and I had rented some gear for the game. First time using a 300 and a MkIV, so it was a new experience all together, however I had a blast and can't wait until I have a full season credential next year.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF17-35mm f/2.8L USM lens    17mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/500s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 60D    EF17-35mm f/2.8L USM lens    17mm    f/2.8    1/2000s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Nov 01, 2012 at 05:08 PM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2012 at 04:58 AM
AChilders

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2012 MLS: Sporting KC vs PHI Union

Last few

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/800s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 60D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM lens    160mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 01, 2012 at 05:03 AM
pbjunkiee

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2012 MLS: Sporting KC vs PHI Union

Awesome captures. Id fork out for a 1.4x though.
it looks like you have some heavy crops in there; even with the tele you would be at 3200iso, easily handled by the miv.

Nov 01, 2012 at 05:13 AM
AChilders

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2012 MLS: Sporting KC vs PHI Union

Thanks for the C&C. Any others?

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:05 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2012 MLS: Sporting KC vs PHI Union

Topeka? As in the capital of Kansas? Heck, we're probably neighbors!! Ha! Seriously, we should get together for coffee, a brew or lunch sometime.

I'm looking at these on my iPad, so that might be part of the issue. But they do look like maybe they're fairly heavy crops. If the 70-200 is the longest lens you have, you're really going to have to be patient and wait for the action to come to you. Frankly, it really limits the amount of field you can cover without having to rely on heavy crops.

I like this set and here are a few of my thoughts:

#1 - If at all possible, you might shoot these from a little more straight on next time. I like this shot--it has a lot of excitement and emotion--but think it might be a little stronger if that emotion and excitement were coming right at us.

The rest...nice action all around. Crops look good and colors and exposure look fine, too. I am curious about the exposure settings being all over the place. You've got ISO and shutter speeds that are all over the place. For instance, that first action image is at 1/500, ISO100, while the static firework image is at 1/2000, ISO1600. Doesn't really make sense. I'd take that 1/2000 for the action and let the 1/500 work for the static images.

I'm guessing the Mk4 has some auto ISO feature of some sort, or you were shooting in Av (or a combination of the two?). Under the lights in a situation like this I'd set the exposure manually and adjust accordingly for action and static photos. I haven't shot in that stadium, but everything I've heard is it's pretty nice and I would be surprised if the lighting isn't top notch.

Keep shooting and keep posting. I look forward to connecting sometime.

Nov 02, 2012 at 08:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AChilders

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2012 MLS: Sporting KC vs PHI Union

Hey Scott! Yes as in the Capital of Kansas. I've been following the website and you for quite some time, but never reached out. My father works with Tom Carlson at Payless Corp. and Tom told me his son was friends with yours, or something along those lines. I'd definitely be interested in meeting up sometime.

As for the crops. I was shooting with a rented MKIV and a 300 2.8. Most were heavy crops. It was my first time shooting at LSP and I can tell you the lighting was top notch. I was shooting manual, as I always have, and I was having trouble exposing on the edges of the field as the light faded off. It took me a little while to get dialed in with the shutter speed and ISO. It was the first time I had shot with the MKIV and it was a little more than I was used to when compared to my 60D. It took me a good 30 frames before I realized my shutter speed had dropped so low.

I didn't use my 70-200 too much in this game, just when the action was on my end and during celebrations. I mainly kept my wide angle on my second body the whole time as I've gotta send the zoom in for some loose screws.

Nov 03, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2012 MLS: Sporting KC vs PHI Union

Small world. Yep, Tom's son and my youngest are in Boy Scouts together. I saw Tom just this past Monday at the troop meeting.

If you were using rented gear and using it for the first time you get a "pass" for this one!! Ha! Seriously, that would be a little tricky. Bottom line is you've got some nice images from the stand point of the composition, action and atmosphere. Now that I'm looking at them on my MBP and knowing you were using a Mk4 and 300/f2.8, I'm a little perplexed about why they're not as sharp as I'd expect. I would think even a decent crop would render a little more sharpness, but maybe not.

I'm not good at following the team...are they done for this year? Hopefully you won't have to wait until next season to get out again.

Nov 03, 2012 at 01:31 AM
AChilders

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2012 MLS: Sporting KC vs PHI Union

I think it was just that I didn't get a chance to really dial the lens in. It came in on a Tuesday night, the game was Wednesday after an 8-4 shift, and then I sent it out the next morning. I literally had maybe an hour to toy with it before the game, which was enough to figure the basics out. I don't like making excuses, but I wasn't too familiar with the equipment at all. Maybe next time though.

They actually won their conference and are in the first leg of the playoffs right now. They are in Houston for a game on Sunday and they will be back in KC on Wednesday night. They have had the best season in team history and are well on their way to winning the MLS cup. I think I'm done for the season though on shooting, the playoff credentials are much harder to obtain. I have checked back and I think a lot of them are just a tad soft. I don't know if it was the lens or me.

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:41 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2012 MLS: Sporting KC vs PHI Union

All right, another Kansas guy.

Great venue to watch a game.

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:16 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password