Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Just received Roundflash today.

DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Just received Roundflash today.

^ ooh guests. Fun!

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:43 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Just received Roundflash today.

DanBrown wrote ..."sending a shipment of Polish." I may need to go to the grocery store, if there's a lot of them.

A Bobby Vinton song just popped into my head:

Moja droga, ja cię kocham,
Means that I love you so.
Moja droga, ja cię kocham,
More than you'll ever know.
Kocham ciebie całym sercem,
Love you with all my heart.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:30 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Just received Roundflash today.

BrianO wrote:
A Bobby Vinton song just popped into my head:

That's "My Melody of Love." He also did "Santa must be Polish."

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:35 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.2 #4 · Just received Roundflash today.

Nice post work on a good shot. I like it, and the light it made.

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:53 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Just received Roundflash today.

BrianO wrote:
I have another e-mail address, but I don't have -- nor want -- another debit card. I prefer cash, anyway, but use a debit card when I must.

No. You misunderstood what I am suggesting here. You can still purchase from a company that only use PayPal. You do not have to have a PayPal account nor would PayPal know you have an account with them. You simply select the option to use a different form of payment. So if you're still interested in this product it is available to you without using PayPal.

Paying in cash is paying in person anyway....not sure what that had to do with buying online as discussed here

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:21 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Just received Roundflash today.

cordellwillis wrote:
But you can always use a different email address and CC#. This is for those who do not have, nor want a PayPal account.

BrianO wrote:
I have another e-mail address, but I don't have -- nor want -- another debit card. I prefer cash, anyway, but use a debit card when I must.

cordellwillis wrote:
No. You misunderstood what I am suggesting here.

How did I misunderstand? You said I could use a different CC#, and I said I don't have a different CC#; it's as simple as that. No misunderstanding on my part.

cordellwillis wrote:
...You can still purchase from a company that only use PayPal. You do not have to have a PayPal account nor would PayPal know you have an account with them. You simply select the option to use a different form of payment.

I didn't use a PayPal account. But if they only use PayPal, then all transactions go through PayPal, account or not; PayPal is doing the CC/DC verification for them.

cordellwillis wrote:
...Paying in cash is paying in person anyway....not sure what that had to do with buying online as discussed here

It has to do with why I only have one debit card: I prefer using cash, but have a debit card for when I must...like buying on-line.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Just received Roundflash today.

so aside from the payment issues, anyone have any additional photos? The photo posted here looked good but some of the others I've seen appeared to have a hotspot.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:42 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.2 #8 · Just received Roundflash today.

Seems pretty cool. I would like to see more examples with it alone and with 1 OCF.

Feb 19, 2013 at 08:07 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · Just received Roundflash today.

PayPal is doing the processing but you don't have to have a PayPal account to pay. Now if you're boycotting PayPal that's a whole different story from what you expressed.

Your "I used this..." circled item has an "(Option)" to join for faster future....blah...blah...blah. You still can use a debit or cc and....

...forget it...on to the original conversation.

Feb 20, 2013 at 03:08 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Just received Roundflash today.

cordellwillis wrote:
PayPal is doing the processing but you don't have to have a PayPal account to pay.

What part of "I didn't use a PayPal account" didn't you understand!

cordellwillis wrote:
...Your "I used this..." circled item has an "(Option)" to join for faster future....blah...blah...blah. You still can use a debit or cc and....

Are you bering deliberately obtuse? I already stated that I DID use a debit card in that form, and got the message "Unable to process card. Please try a different card." The card I used had plenty of money in the account, and has worked fine before and since at stores, restaurtants, other on-line orders, etc. This is the ONLY time it hasn't worked.

I appreciate people trying to be helpful, but not when they are stating the obvious and ignoring the information already provided. I'm done with you.

Feb 20, 2013 at 03:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Just received Roundflash today.

so, how is the lighting from the roundflash?

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:37 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · Just received Roundflash today.

jzucker wrote:
so, how is the lighting from the roundflash?

Mine arrived last night, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll post some images as soon as I can.

The internal design is interesting. The inside side walls are, as one would expect, made of metallic silver fabric, but there's a well-designed deflector in front of the Speedlite opening that's half metallic silver and half translucent white, formed into a sort of origami-like multifaceted array. It looks like it should do a good job of minimizing hot spots.

I had a friend order it for me, and it arrived in less than 2 weeks. I can hardly wait to use it.

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:16 PM
shmn
• •
p.2 #13 · Just received Roundflash today.

I just tried mine out today for the first time. It's nicely built and thought out, although when mounted on my D700 with 85/1.4 and SB-900, it makes for a bulky and somewhat awkward set-up. Probably just takes getting accustomed to.

I like the light from the Roundflash but the catch-lights can be somewhat distracting since they appear as doughnut shapes if caught just right. Anyway, here is the only willing subject I could find...probably not the best subject due to his dark coat.

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · Just received Roundflash today.

shmn wrote:
...I like the light from the Roundflash but the catch-lights can be somewhat distracting since they appear as doughnut shapes...

Yeah, that's one thing about all ring lights. Some people think it looks "cool," but I don't like it. The good news is that since the catchlights appear directly on the pupil (if the subject is looking at the lens, as in a formal portrait) they are easy to retouch.

One thing I noticed about my Roundflash: the previous versions' instructions said to set the zoom setting for speedlights to 24mm, but this one's (Roundflash Magnetic Black, the newest version) say to zoom the head to 85mm. They must have revamped the internal reflectors/baffles.

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM
stflbn

p.2 #15 · Just received Roundflash today.

Just wanted to chime in here...

I'd been watching these and they have been out of stock. Well, I checked last night and they're now shipping again.

Ordered mine.

Mar 18, 2013 at 08:21 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #16 · Just received Roundflash today.

BrianO wrote:
Mine arrived last night, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll post some images as soon as I can.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing some more samples on humans.

brad

Mar 18, 2013 at 09:11 PM
tedwca
• •
p.2 #17 · Just received Roundflash today.

The doughnut catchlights only show if you are close. I've never had it be an issue when using a ring flash, but I usually shoot with longer lenses.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM
shmn
• •
p.2 #18 · Just received Roundflash today.

Here is another sample shot. The first image has the doughnut shaped catchlights. The second image has the center of the doughnuts filled-in so they appear as circular catchlights which look more appealing to me...although they are still large and somewhat obtrusive. I'm sure I can shrink them a bit in PS to a more reasonable size. This was with an 85mm lens at fairly close range (about 4ft).

A couple of notes on using the Roundflash: the Velcro strap that wraps around the flash head would be easier to deal with it fastened on the top of the flash instead of under it. It's kind of tight trying to get my hand under the flash head to fasten the strap. Also, manual focus lenses are pretty much out of the question. An 85/1.4 lens is a pretty tight fit through the bungee cords but once it's on, it feels pretty good. I haven't tried it with "smaller" lenses yet. I like to keep the lens shade on the 85mm for protection but it needs to come off in order to get the Roundflash onto the lens. Overall, the whole assembly with D700, 85/1,4 and Roundflash is cumbersome and awkward to use. The light is nice and soft and pleasing but at the price of convenience and bulk. The unit is well made and designed and the magnetic latches for the supports work nicely. So, overall, I have mixed feelings...good results at the expense of usability. But it does make for a great source of portable, soft light when stands/reflectors/larger modifiers are not an option.

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:20 PM
BugLightGeek
• • •
p.2 #19 · Just received Roundflash today.

SHMN -
Are you saying that a smaller lens than the 85mm F1.4 won't really work with this?

Looking forward to hearing more thoughts on this as well as seeing more samples.

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:52 PM
shmn
• •
p.2 #20 · Just received Roundflash today.

BugLightGeek wrote:
SHMN -
Are you saying that a smaller lens than the 85mm F1.4 won't really work with this?

No, a smaller lens should work fine. An 85/1.4 lens is about the largest diameter that can easily fit in the bungee cords. My 80-200/2.8 fit fine too. If you go with a small, wide lens, you may get some vignetting on the lens from the Roundflash body.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:39 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password