Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Backdrop Supports System

Darren J

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Backdrop Supports System

I'm starting the process to buy the needed item for a studio setup. I think my lighting is set (Alien Bee 800's) But very confused on the backdrop system. I see so many on the market. I will need a unti that I can take down and store when needed. I value the forum members any your suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:11 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #2 · Backdrop Supports System

I like the Calumet system. Two decently strong stands with four-segment crossbar. Easy to set up and take down. It will hold 12' muslins or standard 107" seamless. I use it all the time.

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:50 AM
Darren J

p.1 #3 · Backdrop Supports System

Ok. Thanks for the reply.
Darren

Nov 01, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #4 · Backdrop Supports System

I use this one, nothing fancy but does the job for either a 10x20 muslin or a wide roll of seamless paper. Comes with a nice carrying bag too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/437786-REG/Impact_3046_Background_Support_System.html

Nov 01, 2012 at 08:45 PM
sic0048
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Backdrop Supports System

I opted to "build my own" rather than buying a premade system. I did this primarily because I didn't trust the sturdiness of many of the backdrop systems you can buy. I'm not saying they are bad, I just didn't have experience with them, nor could I inspect them before buying. Plus the stand I ended up with can go higher than many of the premade systems.

I ended up getting two Savage 13' 4 section heavy duty air cushion light stands.. Adorama sells them for a regular price of $59.95. The stands are very nice and sturdy and have a pretty large footprint which is nice to prevent the stand from tipping over. The ability to raise it up to 13' is nice when the facility has the ceiling height to allow it. Getting the backdrop up higher will allow you more freedom when shooting because you have more backdrop to work with. Plus, if you don't need the additional height, then you can use the stronger sections and not have to extend the 4th and smallest section. This results in an even more stable setup. The 4th section is bigger than most normal light stands, but I still like to use the strongest sections of the stand first.

Right now, I'm just using a 10' metal aluminum pole that I bought from a hardware store as my support pole. I was less than $10. I thought about getting a more portable support bar (something that breaks down into a smaller length), but since my seamless paper is almost that long it seemed silly to spend a lot more money on a portable bar when the seamless roll cannot get any smaller.

I just drilled a hole (about 5/8" wide) in each end of the aluminum pole. The hole is just large enough to allow the pole to slip over the spigot on the light stand. That is plenty to properly support the pole and the weight of the seamless paper.

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Robinson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Backdrop Supports System

Bogen Autopoles.

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:39 PM
techster82

p.1 #7 · Backdrop Supports System

I ordered a Cowboy Studio setup for cheap as we are getting ready for an upcoming studio shoot and I had no previous equipment. Set it up today and for $75 I think it will do fine. It has a metal four piece crossbar and seems plenty sturdy.

Cowboy Studio 3000 Backdrop Stand

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Darren J

p.1 #8 · Backdrop Supports System

Thanks.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:33 PM
ravisrajan
• •
p.1 #9 · Backdrop Supports System

Based on amazon customers review, I bought Ravelli ABSL Photo Video Backdrop Stand Kit Dual Air Cushion Stands and Bag, it is 13X15 size. I am happy with this setup for what I need. I have not yet tried with seamless paper but used with muslin up to 10 X 20.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TLSXMO/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:41 AM
Darren J

p.1 #10 · Backdrop Supports System

Thanks. That's what I just ordered.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:49 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password