Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource
  

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time
  
 
lankyelectric
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


I'm headed to a Iowa Hawkeye football game one of these days. I was wondering what lenses people use? Also need to know if you use a tripod or a monopod. I have a 600, 70-200 to use for lenses. As far as tripods go I have a 3541 and a 5541. I would buy a monopod if needed. I'm working on a press pass and I'm pretty sure I will get one. This is just for fun as I would rather be shooting wildlife.


Thanks Chad



Oct 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Carl Auer
Offline
• • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


Sidelines are crowded. Full of photographers, video/tv, sound, NCAA people, boosters, friends of the programs, cheerleaders, mascots, dance teams, etc, etc. A tripod would not be a good idea. If it is a day game, definitely take the 600. If it is a night game you may want to look at renting a 300 2.8 or a 400 2.8. It looks like on your profile you have 2 bodies. Day game, 600 with one body on a monopod, 2nd body with 70-200 around your neck or over your shoulder. Problem is, that 600 is going to be great from about 50 yard line to the other endzone, and the 70-200 is going to be great from the endzone to about the 20 yard line, so you are going to miss about 30 yards of focus.

Good luck



Oct 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Caleb Williams
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


Don't bring a tripod to Kinnick stadium. There is very little room on the sidelines as it is.


Nov 01, 2012 at 02:08 PM
dankopp
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


I would be surprised if tripods are even allowed.


Nov 01, 2012 at 02:21 PM
lankyelectric
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


dankopp wrote:
I would be surprised if tripods are even allowed.



Thats what I was thinking that they are not even allowed.


Thanks to everybody.



Chad



Nov 01, 2012 at 08:55 PM
BobMarkey
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


Tripods will not be allowed. Bring a monopod.

You will have to stay between the end line and 20-yard-line (sometimes the 25), so the 70-200 will be used only when the action comes to you. I hope you have better luck with the police and team hangers-on who love to stand right on the sideline (instead of 3 feet back as the dashed lines indicate) and block your sight line every time there's a play down field near the close sideline.

I find a 300 (mine is an F/4L) to be great, although I would love a 400 or 600. With the longer lenses, you will be in the end zones, mostly, but the long lens can cause you to miss shots. You'll need the shorter zoom for plays right in front of you. Can you juggle?

Pay attention to the action. It's fast. Learn the teams' tendencies and plan ahead for the expected play.

Shoot the emotion on the sidelines, stands, band and cheerleader areas.

Try to get low for a better angle and to show some respect for those shooting and watching behind you.

You will be amazed at who gets credentials, including the Rebel shooter with the 15-55 kit lens, iPhone and iPad shooters, children with cell phones and more. ;-)

Enjoy!



Nov 02, 2012 at 05:51 AM
lankyelectric
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


BobMarkey wrote:
Tripods will not be allowed. Bring a monopod.

You will have to stay between the end line and 20-yard-line (sometimes the 25), so the 70-200 will be used only when the action comes to you. I hope you have better luck with the police and team hangers-on who love to stand right on the sideline (instead of 3 feet back as the dashed lines indicate) and block your sight line every time there's a play down field near the close sideline.

I find a 300 (mine is an F/4L) to be great, although I would love a 400 or 600. With the
...Show more



Gitzo GM3551 monopod and a Really Right Stuff head are ordered and on the way.

Thanks for your input Bob it is really appreciated.


Chad



Nov 02, 2012 at 09:32 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Scott Sewell
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


lankyelectric wrote:
Gitzo GM3551 monopod and a Really Right Stuff head are ordered and on the way.

Thanks for your input Bob it is really appreciated.

Chad




I am curious, why the RRS head? You can just screw the monopod right onto the lens collar. Personally, I use clamps and lens plates with all my big glass, but that's mainly so I can quickly take the lenses off/on the monopod. I personally wouldn't ever use any kind of ball head on a monopod. When I've seen them used the user is almost always struggling to keep them tightened down and they're flopping all over the place.

Either way, good luck!!



Nov 02, 2012 at 10:28 PM
lankyelectric
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


Scott Sewell wrote:
I am curious, why the RRS head? You can just screw the monopod right onto the lens collar. Personally, I use clamps and lens plates with all my big glass, but that's mainly so I can quickly take the lenses off/on the monopod. I personally wouldn't ever use any kind of ball head on a monopod. When I've seen them used the user is almost always struggling to keep them tightened down and they're flopping all over the place.

Either way, good luck!!




I don't know Scott. What do other people use? Whats the pros and cons to RRS head other than the cost of course?

Thanks for your 2 cents Scott.


Chad


Edited on Nov 03, 2012 at 06:56 PM · View previous versions



Nov 02, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Russ Isabella
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


I secure my biggest lens (300/2.8 or 400/2.8) directly to the monopod. I don't have a need to swap them while shooting, I prefer the direct connection with no middleman, and it works.


Nov 03, 2012 at 12:05 AM
lankyelectric
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


Russ Isabella wrote:
I secure my biggest lens (300/2.8 or 400/2.8) directly to the monopod. I don't have a need to swap them while shooting, I prefer the direct connection with no middleman, and it works.




Thanks for your input Russ



Nov 03, 2012 at 01:50 AM
Scott Sewell
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


I would say most people do what Russ described. Old habits are hard to break and I've always used clamps/plates.


Nov 03, 2012 at 02:30 AM
basehorhonda
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Shooting College Football for the 1ST time


I got one for my monopod when I first bought it and now I never use it. Like everyone said, just screw it directly onto the mono.

And yes, they will give credentials to just about anyone. I always shoot the NASCAR race in Kansas, I always find myself next to someone that is shooting pit stops with a point and shoot. This year, there was someone using a Iphone.



Nov 03, 2012 at 03:58 AM





FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password