Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mac Book Air 13" enough power for editing in Lightroom?

EOSDNG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Mac Book Air 13" enough power for editing in Lightroom?

Does anyone use the 13" Mac Book Air for editing wedding pictures in Lightroom 4.0

13": 256 GB
1,8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 Prozessor
Turbo Boost bis zu 2,8 GHz
4 GB Arbeitsspeicher
256 GB Flash-Speicher1
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Are the specs fast enough? I am just wondering...

Oct 31, 2012 at 09:59 PM
AbSamarobriva

p.1 #2 · Mac Book Air 13" enough power for editing in Lightroom?

Sometimes I use a 11" MacBook Air on location when I want to sort and edit a small number of pictures (from 5DIII/II/I).
It is slow, especially when rendering and exporting, but it can do the job.
I would definitely not use it to edit a full wedding.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:08 PM
fotojennik
• •
p.1 #3 · Mac Book Air 13" enough power for editing in Lightroom?

No you will want the MacBook Pro at minimum. With more than 4 GB ram...I mean Arbeitsspeicher

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM
TomHarmon
• • •
p.1 #4 · Mac Book Air 13" enough power for editing in Lightroom?

I've edited a wedding on a 13'' MBA before. The screen is pretty small to see whats going on, but otherwise its fine. No huge speed issues. Its definitely do-able if you have to.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Mac Book Air 13" enough power for editing in Lightroom?

My new toy for the last year is an 11" MBA. I got it to do edits on the fly when I do commercial gigs. I have actually edited half my weddings this year on it. Its holds its ground. Its faster than my 2 year old iMac, which is being replaced with the new iMac.

SHould you get it as your main editing machine? Sure, if you dont do volumes of work. If I only did 15 or less weddings a year and nothing else I could get by with my 11" But I shoot 25+ and about 100 portrait session and corporate stuff 5 days a week. SO my main machines for editing are MBP i7 and iMac i3 both with 16 gigs ram and ssd drives.

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

t4haughton
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Mac Book Air 13" enough power for editing in Lightroom?

The answer depends on what you find acceptable for speed, and how large of RAW files you're working with.

Until this week, I've been using a 2009 Macbook Pro (13" 2.53 C2D) hooked to a 24" Cinema Display (geekbench score of about 3500). I upgraded it with a fast SSD and 8GB of RAM and she did okay with 12mp D3 files.

I will say that the switch to LR4's 2012 processing was a little tough, and the cropping was getting really slow. I decided I didn't want to be waiting on LR anymore so I went with the newest 13" (non-retina) and noticed a giant improvement. Of course it's got a 2.9ghz i7, a big SSD and 16GB of RAM. (geekbench score of about 7700).

The Macbook Air you're describing is about 6000 on the geekbench scale, so I'd think it will hold up okay. I would highly recommend upping it to 8GB of RAM though, especially since it can't be upgraded later.. If you can I'd spring for the 2.0 version as well. Attach it to Thunderbolt Cinema display and you'd have a pretty good rig.

Nov 01, 2012 at 03:03 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Mac Book Air 13" enough power for editing in Lightroom?

Yeah I've got a 13" macbook air and while I wouldn't use it as my main machine for editing on the road it's the dogs bolocks. Make sure you get 8gb of RAM though, you can upgrade the HDD with a bit of work but the RAM is soldered to the mobo.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:16 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #8 · Mac Book Air 13" enough power for editing in Lightroom?

Depends on what camera you're using.

I used a 1.3Ghz Core2Duo with 4GB of RAM running Win7 for 3 years. Worked fine loading DNG's from my M9. Images from the 5D mk2 took a few seconds more but it still worked. I know another photojournalist who got by with a MacBook Air.

Faster is always better, but you can get by with a MacBook Air. Photo editing isn't very demanding. Using photoshop for photo manipulation may be trying. Video editing is the real killer.

Nov 02, 2012 at 02:12 AM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #9 · Mac Book Air 13" enough power for editing in Lightroom?

^ Yep, HD video editing makes photo processing and graphics production look like childs play to a computer.

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:25 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Mac Book Air 13" enough power for editing in Lightroom?

my buddy has a newer MBA, with the newer ivy bridge chips, usb 3.0, etc, and he said it's smoking fast....i'm not sure if it's an i7 or an i5, but either way, they aren't exactly slow....granted, i've heard of people having issues with LR4 on big quad core machines, so i'm not sure in that regard.....i was considering a new MBA for a while, b/c honestly they're just as fast as my current i3 iMac....only without the discrete graphics card......

an older MBA? forget about it...they were SLOOOWWWWWW

Nov 03, 2012 at 01:41 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password