Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Monitor Selection for Editing (standard vs. wide gamut)

chrispuc

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monitor Selection for Editing (standard vs. wide gamut)

I have been using a PC and old Samsung T240HD for photo editing. The monitor is not adequate (terrible viewing angle), it can't be calibrated properly with my xrite1display2 calibrator when in HD mode (for some reason the fine tuning controls for colors, etc. are grayed out unless i use the old analog cable to hook up my monitor), and the monitor has started flashing on and off every few minutes.

I've done a bit of research and figured out that part of my problem was that the old monitor was a TN panel whereas I need an IPS monitor.

My budget is somewhere in the ~$200 - ~$400 range. There's a good chance I'll switch over to an iMAC next year once I can save up so I don't want to go crazy with a monitor now. I'd like to be in the 23"-24" range.

One question I have is whether or not I should go "standard gamut" vs. "wide gamut". I love the features and reviews on the Asus PA246Q, which is an extended/wide gamut monitor but I worry that extended/wide gamut isn't the best option for me because:
(1) I use MPixPro for my prints and they require sRGB (to date, i've been shooting in camera raw and editing in Lightroom 4 and CS5 in sRGB),
(2) I've read that there are some sort of issues with saturation problems as most web browsers, etc. are not color managed, the internet is setup for sRGB, etc. and I often use social media to post photos, etc. and want to ensure they look good on as many people's monitors as possible,

Is the only issue with wide gamut that I will see funky colors if I try to view sRGB files on my wide gamut monitor or are there issues with me using aRGB, etc. files online?

Should I try to find a printer who prints aRGB? Anyone recommend something comparable to mpixpro that prints argb?

I've considered the idea of getting a wide gamut monitor, editing in aRGB, and saving a copy of my edits as sRGB for the web but I wonder if there's a point to that...

Given that my current printer is sRGB, I often use the internet to display images, and I don't want to add significant time to my workflow, does it make any sense to buy an extended gamut monitor?

If not, and I should go standard gamut, then should I go LED or CCFL? I've read that colors are brighter on LED but that CCFL is more photo realistic. I like the Asus PA246Q because it was CCFL, had a P-IPS panel, etc. but it is extended gamut.

The other monitors on my "short list" are the Viewsonic VP2365wb, Viewsonic VP2365-LED, Asus PA238Q, and Asus PA248Q.

Suggestions?

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Hendrik
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monitor Selection for Editing (standard vs. wide gamut)

Hello Chrispuc,

I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to answer in depth, but ... it seems you are missing a lot of basic understanding of color management.

For example, printers do not print Adobe RGB or sRGB. They have their own unique gamut, often exceeding that of Adobe RGB or sRGB for some, but not all colors. Most printlabs ask sRGB, because they don't need any extra handling. I would choose my working color space based on the image content. It doesn't matter what monitor you use, it can be monochrome if you want. Learn to read the out-of-gamut colors with PS.

On the Internet, you use sRGB.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/WGuidelines.pdf (old, but still some valid information.

http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/85/January%202005%20-%20ProPhoto%20or%20ConPhoto

and use Google.

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:50 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.