Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter ...

zwilliamson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter speeds

Kind of a newbie question:

Recently when I've been shooting indoors, I use a minimum of 1/500, usually 1/640 or 1/800 and no strobe. I need to be faster for men's college hockey and women's volleyball, but I can get away with a slightly slower shutter for women's college hockey. I've been leaving IS enabled with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, but at what point does IS, even mode 2 IS, no longer assist with a shot? I realize the point of IS isn't to stop a subject, but could having it enabled slow AF after a certain point?

Thanks!

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:09 PM
rddayton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter speeds

First of all, welcome into the Sports Corner. Glad you found us.

No question about it. I am not a Canon shooter, and can only speak to the Nikon glass. There is no doubt the VR noticably slows the AF system -- and unless you are shooting at a very slow shutter speed (in my experience slower shutter than 1/100,) and hand-holding the lens, the VR will not help in your sports shooting. Others may have different experiences, but that is my two cents.

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:48 PM
rachelsdad
• •
p.1 #3 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter speeds

Welcome, IS only helps on camera shake, not motion blur. At the speeds we need to shoot to stop motion I have found IS to be of no value, but then I shoot mostly outdoors and try to keep my shutter at 1/2000 or better (My 7D seems to like higher SS). As far as IS slowing focus, can't say that I have seen it, but I have seen comments that says yes it does.

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:18 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #4 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter speeds

On Nikon side I have had the same thoughts as Rick above. Just about every youtube video I have watched with the experienced folks shooting sports say mostly the same thing. It surely helps when shooting events and such, but I turn mine off for action.

One newb to another.... Welcome : )

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:35 PM
zwilliamson

p.1 #5 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter speeds

Thanks for the responses, definitely going to try and be more active on this board in the future.

I'm shooting a couple hockey games this weekend, I'll have to do a field test and see if I notice a difference.

One of the reasons I'm asking is because I saw a posting for a 300mm f/2.8 non-IS in the buy/sell forum for $2100, while it's out of my budget at the moment, it certainly could be a more affordable way to acquire some longer L glass down the road.

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:12 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter speeds

zwilliamson wrote:
Kind of a newbie question:

Recently when I've been shooting indoors, I use a minimum of 1/500, usually 1/640 or 1/800 and no strobe. I need to be faster for men's college hockey and women's volleyball, but I can get away with a slightly slower shutter for women's college hockey. I've been leaving IS enabled with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, but at what point does IS, even mode 2 IS, no longer assist with a shot? I realize the point of IS isn't to stop a subject, but could having it enabled slow AF after a certain point?

Thanks!

I think it slows down AF a little so for daytime action/sports I turn the IS image stabilization off

Nov 01, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #7 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter speeds

There are so many variables here it is not even funny! It depends on the specific lens, the generation of IS, the camera, your technique, etc. I do know the IS takes a split second to "spin up" and do its thing. My experience with my V2 70-200 2.8 is that the AF is faster than the IS, so having IS on at faster shutter speeds (for me , above about 1/200) adds nothing. I would imagine if the IS is "jumping" and not settled yet, it could actually negatively affect the image just like excessive camera movement would.

Now my 300 2.8 does not focus as fast, but it is a non-IS. I shoot it almost exclusively on a monopod so far, and at shutter speeds 1/500 and above. Absolutely brilliant results! I do not miss IS one bit so far. Of course, YMMV...

Paul

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:46 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter speeds

zwilliamson wrote:
I've been leaving IS enabled with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, but at what point does IS, even mode 2 IS, no longer assist with a shot? I realize the point of IS isn't to stop a subject, but could having it enabled slow AF after a certain point?

I've shot sports at every focal length between 15mm and 800mm (though mostly a lot of 300mm or less). There is only one time that IS has ever helped me in any way when shooting sports at 1/Focal Length is when using super teles (for this example, 300mm or longer), specifically when using a monopod on a windy day and the IS helped me keep the subject in frame better. That's it.

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:48 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter speeds

Welcome to the world of compromise, aka photography. IS does slow down AF and most fast action photogs will strongly suggest keeping it off, me included. Now, take a 400 mm shooting action half way across the field and keep the focus point on the subject. A bit more difficult for some, everything is smaller and tends to move around more in the view finder. With experience you can get the job done most of the time, ergo keep IS off. If you are having diffculty, the compromise is turn on IS, accept a slower AF in order for a more stable view finder which helps you keep the focus on the subject. YMMV but practice is the key for using fast glass to capture rapidly moving action.

Matt

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:30 PM
zwilliamson

p.1 #10 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter speeds

schlotz wrote:
Now, take a 400 mm shooting action half way across the field and keep the focus point on the subject.

Matt

Not a problem I'm experiencing at the moment with the 70-200 and a 7D...though I can honestly say it would be one I would happily take on

I'm shooting Northeastern University Men's Hockey vs Merrimack College thus friday night, I'll definitely play around with the IS settings. Thanks!

Nov 01, 2012 at 03:31 PM
rachelsdad
• •
p.1 #11 · Question about the effectiveness of IS at higher shutter speeds

Here is something to try (and preferably do it on a non-paying gig), shoot 1/2 with IS off and your same settings, and the second half take the ISO penalty bump your SS to 1500-2000 and hit the noise in post. See which shots you like better.

Nov 01, 2012 at 04:10 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password