Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

lms1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

Can this lens be mounted on a 5D MKIII with adapter?

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:49 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

Nope, Alpha lenses can't be adapted to Canon.

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:55 AM
contas
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

why not? , isn't this for that:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Alpha-mount++to+EOS&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:06 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

contas wrote:
why not? , isn't this for that:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Alpha-mount++to+EOS&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Great! Let him try this adapter and report back about the IQ

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:08 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

Possible yes. Usable.. not much.

Sell 5DMK3, buy A99. You wont look back.. (tho considering your gear, moving would be bit painful).

Since you already think about Zeiss zoom, why not some of older Contax ones? Easy to adapt.

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:11 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

edwardkaraa wrote:
Great! Let him try this adapter and report back about the IQ

Dont be sadistic. All those adapters work more or less same. If lucky its 1.2x converter, if not its more.. As most teleconverters it cripples image quality and usually adds some nice CA.

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:13 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

Plastic element on the back of your very expensive lens, no way to change aperture. That should be a pleasant shooting experience.

I am surprised someone hasn't hacked a mount yet, though. Seems like something Conrus would be all over, given the Zeiss name. Maybe it's completely impossible.

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:15 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

Mescalamba wrote:
Dont be sadistic. All those adapters work more or less same. If lucky its 1.2x converter, if not its more.. As most teleconverters it cripples image quality and usually adds some nice CA.

Fully agree about Contax. The 28-85 and 35-70 are stellar.

Also he can get a Canon converted 24-85 N.

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:20 AM
contas
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

Canon EOS's Flange Distance = 44.0mm.
Sony Alpha's Flange Distance = 44.5mm.
So principally you can do an adaptor with 0.5mm compensation but not vice versa.
Optical quality isn't mentioned and digital protocols, electronic AF and aperture aren't mentioned too, but as I know they are hacking now, let's wait.

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:21 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

contas wrote:
Canon EOS's Flange Distance = 44.0mm.
Sony Alpha's Flange Distance = 44.5mm.
So principally you can do an adaptor with 0.5mm compensation but not vice versa.

nope, not possible. i happen to have an eos and alpha mount sitting on top of each other here on my table and the bayonet diameter of the alpha mount is to large to fit inside an eos mount. even if it were possible, it ain't easy to machine a piece of aluminum or brass that thin without warping. i'd not trust an adapter that thin and the machining cost would be quite high.

you could do a mount replacement ala leitax, no aperture control though. didn't somebody here do that with a ZA 135/1.8.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AhamB
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

sebboh wrote:
you could do a mount replacement ala leitax, no aperture control though. didn't somebody here do that with a ZA 135/1.8.

I think Wayne Seltzer did that and controlled the aperture with a small lever or something. Reversible "conversion" too, IIRC.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:22 AM
contas
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

sebboh wrote:
nope, not possible. i happen to have an eos and alpha mount sitting on top of each other here on my table and the bayonet diameter of the alpha mount is to large to fit inside an eos mount. even if it were possible, it ain't easy to machine a piece of aluminum or brass that thin without warping. i'd not trust an adapter that thin and the machining cost would be quite high.

Maybe you misunderstood my idea. If I have to do that I will order a CNC mechanik do a hybride mount , that fits Sony Alpha at one end and a 0.5mm shim all attached to an used canon EOS mount ( that I have many ).The cost of labor here is very affordable, so it encourages me do some conversions my self: contax N (645)--> Canon EF <-->Sigma SA.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:52 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

contas wrote:
Maybe you misunderstood my idea. If I have to do that I will order a CNC mechanik do a hybride mount , that fits Sony Alpha at one end and a 0.5mm shim all attached to an used canon EOS mount ( that I have many ).The cost of labor here is very affordable, so it encourages me do some conversions my self: contax N (645)--> Canon EF <-->Sigma SA.

feel free to try but i'm telling you that you cannot put a functional alpha female mount on the back of a eos mount because it's physically impossible (the flanges on the sony bayonet have a larger diameter than the throat of the canon mount. you might be able to build it by putting gaping holes in the sides of the canon bayonet (not structurally advisable), but you still would not be able to mount an alpha lens to it and mount it on a canon camera because the alpha lens bayonet would block the attachment of the canon bayonet into the camera. if you've got the mounts handy get some calipers and measure them there is no way to maintain that .5mm distance without one bayonet fouling the other.

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:23 AM
contas
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

I am a kind of practice so I say it's possible to do.
Now I will go step by step:
1- remove Alpha mount.
2- place the prepared 0.5mm shim that one side matched the rear of the lens (not the mount ), another side matched the EF mount , and attached to it by hided small screws.
That ALL I will do, now you can match Alpha lens to Canon EOS with out adding lens (like the item on ebay ) so you may keep the optics intact, ofcourse no AF and no aperture.Hope you get it.

Oct 31, 2012 at 08:00 AM
contas
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

adding: if the 0.5 mm shim is considered weak, you can remove all the already exist in len shims, you measure them and make a new shim with the thickness of sum of all those shims and remember +0.5mm .

Oct 31, 2012 at 08:23 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

Mescalamba wrote:
Possible yes. Usable.. not much.

Sell 5DMK3, buy A99. You wont look back.. (tho considering your gear, moving would be bit painful).

Since you already think about Zeiss zoom, why not some of older Contax ones? Easy to adapt.

Do you have an A99?

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

You cannot do a conurus-style adaptation, Alpha mount uses mechanical aperture engagement just like Nikon and Pentax mounts.

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:15 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

contas wrote:
I am a kind of practice so I say it's possible to do.
Now I will go step by step:
1- remove Alpha mount.
2- place the prepared 0.5mm shim that one side matched the rear of the lens (not the mount ), another side matched the EF mount , and attached to it by hided small screws.
That ALL I will do, now you can match Alpha lens to Canon EOS with out adding lens (like the item on ebay ) so you may keep the optics intact, ofcourse no AF and no aperture.Hope you get it.

yeah, that will work fine but it's not an adapter it's a mount replacement (i've done many such conversions of various mounts to alpha mount myself). as ahamb mentioned wayne seltzer did one to convert a ZA 135/1.8 to eos.

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:17 PM
lms1
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 Vario Sonner

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I think I will
skip the Zeiss Sonnar idea. The Canon 24-70 MKII
is too expensive for the upgrade. I tried a Tamron
24-70 and found the results no less than the Canon.

Nov 05, 2012 at 05:02 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password