Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

sandman22
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

Hey everyone I was able to do somethign last Thursday that I didn't think I would ever get to do and it was pretty sweet. I shoot for a Magazine in a smaller town (100,000) that mainly highlights local high school athletes around the area and some of them do end up going places which gave me the oppotrunity to shoot at the Vikings game. I was there to get pictures of Marcus Sherels the Vikings punt returner, but also got alot of other action as well. It was a great experience and I hope I captured some good memories. Wondering if I did to much to the vibrancy of the color or if something is a little off. Should be a fairly easy fix if I need ot go back and change some things. Sorry for all the pics I was to excited to narrow it down. Also sorry for being AP heavy he is such a beast that I took alot of him.

Thanks

Ben

1-Do you like this one or number 2 better I cant decide??

3-I almost lost my hearing it was so loud after his fight/sack

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:06 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #2 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

5-8

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:08 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #3 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

9-12

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:10 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #4 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

13-16

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:16 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

hmm... did you use a lot of NR on these? They look soft...like missed focus soft

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:19 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

Some of these don't look sharp and some seem over-processed so, yes, I would agree that "something is a little off."

Seems as though your camera settings were all over the place. For something like this--where you're under consistent lights--I would have set my ISO, aperture and shutter speed needed to stop action, then made slight adjustments to the static (non-action) images.

For example, if I was shooting action at f2.8, ISO3200, 1/1000, I might shoot the static images at ISO3200, f4 (or maybe even f5.6), and 1/800 or even 1/640. You didn't need faster shutter speeds for people who are pretty much just standing on the sideline. You'd still have fast enough shutter speeds to hand-hold and get sharp images of static subjects, but you'd give yourself a little more DOF.

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:23 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #7 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

Thanks for the constructive crit Scott I shot in av mostly....the last 2 seems soft as well as 11 and maybe 5. 3 is a fairly heavy crop. I am not seeing the softness in the rest tho ..I will go through and mess with processing anything in particular to work on or is less more sometimes when it's comes to post? Still really new to this so seeking as I can from you pros. Thanks

Ben

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:29 AM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #8 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

I'm seeing softness in all of the action. The only one that seems sharp is 12. The sportraits look good, but the action seems to say there was Noise Reduction done, while the Helmets looks the sharpest the uniforms and faces seem a little plasticy, which make me seem there was heavy NR done.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM
mcarlson
• • •
p.1 #9 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

First off, congratulations on the opportunity and enthusiasm...a good reminder to those who do it regularly that it was 'fun' once too! (mostly joking there)

Scott couldn't have said it better...inside a dome is much easier than those stadiums with mixed light and funky shadows (like Dallas was this weekend, if you saw any of that game). Being able to set an exposure and make minor tweaks is a bonus sometimes (the tradeoff being the less than ideal light)...one thing about the dome is that the light is a little different on each end, so you'd need to compensate for that.

And, I'll also have to unfortunately agree that a number of them are simply missed focus (not tack sharp). No. 15 (the first #15, with Barber's tackle) is a good example...good action, nice moment, missed focus.

Finally...number 6 would be MUCH better without the flaming lime green vest and light shining off the shaved head of the photographer in the background (that's me).

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:24 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #10 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

Thanks I will go through and downplay the NR and see if that improves the images at all.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

drbob
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

Hope you got something of Marcus Sherels...

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:40 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #12 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

I think a little too contrasty also

Andy

Nov 01, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

Well, the bad news is that I was not happy about how this game turned out.

That said, I'd say you made the most of this opportunity. I won't repeat what others have said about these photos and they are really correct.

I haven't shoot (football) inside the Dome for a few years and the consistency of the lighting can be less than ideal, so Av is probably the way to go for most cases.

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:07 PM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #14 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

Bob, valid point I did get many of hi. But like Caleb said the Bucs didn't have to punt that often...marcus only caught and ran with 1 punt I think and it happened to be away from me......a lot of them were stock that I didn't think would be to interesting...thanks for all the feedback I will go back and redo some post to see if they are worth saving at all....

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

sandman22 wrote:
Bob, valid point I did get many of hi. But like Caleb said the Bucs didn't have to punt that often...marcus only caught and ran with 1 punt I think and it happened to be away from me......a lot of them were stock that I didn't think would be to interesting...thanks for all the feedback I will go back and redo some post to see if they are worth saving at all....

Reminds me of the time I was at the Timberwolves game to shoot Devean George, a Minneapolis area NBA for the Dallas Mavericks (at the time). Of course he's a bench player and he didn't play much during either of the two games I shot. It was great experience.

Nov 01, 2012 at 03:21 PM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #16 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

Awesome opportunity!!! Congratulations!

Nov 01, 2012 at 05:05 PM
maehill

p.1 #17 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

Go vikes!! I live in MN so I would be thrilled with an opportunity like this!

Nov 01, 2012 at 07:18 PM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #18 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

Just got the newest iPad through school and can definitely see more softness now than before...maybe I need to invest in a MacBook for editing any suggestions that aren't ridiculously priced?

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:29 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Dream come true (pic heavy sorry)

i am jealous.

is # 14 your wife?

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:54 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password