Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

Nevermind, some people got it, others didn't, i get what most people are saying...someone can delete this thread...

Edited on Nov 02, 2012 at 08:44 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:22 PM
sowega

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

I think the second picture is much better.

In the first photo there are shadows running everywhere, even unflattering ones across the bride and groom. Hot spots as well are a problem here.

Composition is also poor on the first one.

These are my views. Others may have other viewpoints.

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:36 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

If you are going to call out the work of your second as "bad" flash.... I would think you would find one of yours without flaw to compare it with.

While I prefer yours (and shoot in more that style), the shadow that your second is casting on the couple is very annoying.

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:43 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

Those are the only 2 shots i had that were seconds apart, where they were in the same position...and where you could see where the 2nd shooter was standing in the frame...that's the only reason i picked those 2 shots....but the photos are just examples of knowing how to balance flash/ambient, and how the light fall-off is terrible, almost like direct flash, with a fong dong and the wrong settings.....

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:48 PM
bwield
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

I would say I prefer your shot. But would wager the client will like the 2nd

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:50 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

NathanHamler wrote:
Those are the only 2 shots i had that were seconds apart, where they were in the same position...and where you could see where the 2nd shooter was standing in the frame...that's the only reason i picked those 2 shots....but the photos are just examples of knowing how to balance flash/ambient, and how the light fall-off is terrible, almost like direct flash, with a fong dong and the wrong settings.....

Agreed, however, I think this is also about choice. There are times when balancing the ambient and flash will really kill the atmosphere, and having an image (in some way) closer to your second's image (meaning letting in less ambient) would be more effective. That is of course a personal choice / taste as much as anything.

As far as technique, I'd avoid aperture priority completely. I think I'd only go there if I suddenly round myself in a new lighting and had to capture something very quickly. But that would be very, very rare. If I'm indoors and need flash you can be pretty certain I've been there a while and will have scouted out lighting already.

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:58 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

Oh i'm sure they'll like it, which is fine...it's just not my style to shoot up in the face....i shoot wide to capture the whole scene....after all, they're trying to remember the day, and especially when it comes to the reception, they want to remember the guests that were there, the fun times that were had, etc....there's a ton of other shots where they are pristine and "shadow less"....lol....that being said, i'm glad you prefer mine haha

Oct 30, 2012 at 07:00 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

Fong Dong FTW lol

Oct 30, 2012 at 07:27 PM
vtec44
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

NathanHamler wrote:
Oh i'm sure they'll like it, which is fine...it's just not my style to shoot up in the face....i shoot wide to capture the whole scene....after all,

Isn't that why you have a 2nd shooter, so that you can have both? I think your 2nd shooter could have lower the flash's power and drop the shutter speed a bit to balance ambient and flash.

Oct 30, 2012 at 08:50 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

vtec44 wrote:
I think your 2nd shooter could have lower the flash's power and drop the shutter speed a bit to balance ambient and flash.

And there in lies the technique part i spoke of :-) lol

Oct 30, 2012 at 09:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

Yeah... I sorta think the 2nd's flash is better, honestly. That's the problem with off-camera flash is you can easily end up blasting the whole room which then actually kills the atmosphere.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

There IS no atmosphere in the 2nd one...

I take that back, yes, there is atmosphere, but the background in his is darker than it actually was...it def wasnt candlelight dark in there...BUT, the problem with that technique is if the background distance is more than a couple feet, it just goes totally black, and you lose the venue....it may as well be a ballroom...

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

NathanHamler wrote:
There IS no atmosphere in the 2nd one...

I take that back, yes, there is atmosphere, but the background in his is darker than it actually was...it def wasnt candlelight dark in there...BUT, the problem with that technique is if the background distance is more than a couple feet, it just goes totally black, and you lose the venue....it may as well be a ballroom...

I think Kurtis is talking about preserving the natural atmosphere, and not blowing it away with a few point light sources leaving artificial shadows. (not saying you did not do a good job, just talking philosophically)

I think may people here would have just shot f1.4-2.0 at iso 3200 and just used a touch of bounce flash to fill. The room does not seem too dark on its own.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:40 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

This is a battle I fight with myself very often, which way to go and how to go about it...sometimes flash wins and I end up with rooms that have lots of light, and sometimes ambient effect wins...although ambient light is often not attractive.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM
ShacharLee
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

Sorry but I don't like neither one

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:51 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

Yeah, i dont shoot at f/1.4...i wish, but no....with all ambient i'd be 6400 @ 2.8, 1/60 s....then motion blur is terrible...i'm shocked everyone likes the fong dong look...

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:59 PM
jared_irl
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

Your shot has a handful of really distracting specular highlights that really hurt your image. Your composition is also fairly weak, with the subjects really being oddly sandwiched between the ladys arm, the post, and the really large door.

This isn't to say your lighting technique isn't better, but this example might not be the one you want to use to show off the difference.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:25 AM
vtec44
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

NathanHamler wrote:
.i'm shocked everyone likes the fong dong look...

I think it's because it has much less distractions compare to the other image.

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:34 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

Nothing wrong with Aperture Priority; it does a pretty good job of balancing ambient with flash if you give it a chance

One issue is your 2nd's choice of aperture. Your shot is at f/2.8 and his is at f/5, other settings are similar - of course your shot is going to include more ambient light than his does.
- maybe he chose f/5 for DOF, but if he'd opened up the aperture a bit there would be more ambient light in the shot.

The other problem is the Fong Dong, which scatters light in all directions including towards the couple. This is an easy 'set and forget' way of shooting, but you don't have any control over the direction of your lighting - often the whole point of using bounce flash is to avoid the 'direct flash' look, and a Fong Dong is always going to light your subject with plenty of direct flash.

That said, your 2nd has captured a different perspective for you - no point in having 2 identical wide shots of the same scene.

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:47 AM
ronno
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Example of good flash, vs. bad flash technique

I think the assistant photo is fine. I think you should have gelled your own flash and reworked the white balance so the room didn't look so orange. And I agree that the composition in the first one is awkward. The other problem with all that ambient light is you have all kinds of details (wood paneling, light fixtures, and doors, and etc...), which add nothing and are just distracting and make the photo look very busy.
Cheers.

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password